Another how many grafts I need question!

Hey guys, I have contacted Hasson & Wong and Dr Rahal.. They have both given me a different estimate on how many grafts I need.. So just out of curiosity, How many grafts do you guys think I need for a full look? I want to be able to spike my hair again without seeing so much scalp.. Thanks guys...

IMG_7352.jpg.a1b421576418695d9e8909a277feafd4.jpg

IMG_7354.jpg.8f7f0e38fb7a371d87632b9196f5ae47.jpg

IMG_7360.jpg.4147c0ddaddc64aa47d443a55e86ca14.jpg

IMG_7362.jpg.dfb68dda122dc82034fffaf8d9f853a5.jpg

You look like you will end up an advanced NW pattern someday, but if you respond well to meds, maybe not. It really depends on what your lifetime donor supply is, but I would guess 4500 for a decent look. Keep in mind you will be able to still see scalp with spike hair. You can see it on people who have full density.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Hi Benson!

I would agree with Spanker in saying that 4500 would probably give you the option to spike your hair and still have a somewhat dense look. To anyone here just answering, it would really be a guessing game since we don't know what your hair characteristics are like. But because you have dark, straight hair......it usually takes a bit to create the illusion of great density. Again.....you might be able to get away with 3500-4000 grafts also, but I think those extra grafts that Spanker estimated will really be the difference in wearing your hair the way you like!

Best,

Mike

4737 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 11/16/2012

Daily regimen: 1/4 Proscar (1.25 mg Finasteride), Rogaine Foam (twice daily), 1000 mcg Biotin, 1 combo Vitamin D/Calcium/Magnesium, 1500 mg Glocosamine, 750 mg MSM, 1200 mg Fish Oil, 2000 mg Vitamin C, Super B-Complex, 400 I.U Vitamin E.

I am not a medical professional. All views and opinions expressed in this forum are of my own.

I'll go for 6000 grafts. It looks like you have fine but dense hair so I would not be surprised if it is even more!

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

You guys are making me cry! I was told by Hasson and wong 4000 grafts would be killer looking (dense packing) and dr Rahal recommended only 3000 grafts...

When you said full coverage I assumed all the thinning and bald areas (inc crown) would need a full appearance. I guess that isn't the case if 3000 is enough!

Benson,

I was going to say somewhere in the neighborhood of 3,500 - 4,000, but I think these differing numbers helps gives you an idea of how subjective graft estimates can be. It really depends on so many factors - the density you hope to achieve, your hair characteristics, whether or not you want to reinforce the midscalp, if you want to define the frontotemporal angles and temporal triangles, etc - and sharing all this information with your hair transplant surgeon will help you both come to figure out how many grafts you will receive.

If you'd like a bit more of a scientific estimate, you could try our hair loss learning center graft calculator.

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

When I was estimating your number, I guessed at 2000 for your crown and 2500 for your crown.

Here is a link that may be useful, which can help give you a visual on grafts. On a totally bald area that you want to appear solid, it can take about 50 cm2. That doesn't meant that you have to transplant at that density, or that you should in some areas, like your crown, when you consider future loss though. You have a pretty high hairline which will help you conserve grafts, so you maaay not need that much, but if you are looking for a denser look, I really see the number at 4500. I have seem a lot of people transplant about 1500 in a crown like yours and they always go back for another session. The good thing is, you can do it in 2 sessions, you don't have to do it all at once.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171051-coverage-density-iphone-4-a.html

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I'll go for 6000 grafts. It looks like you have fine but dense hair so I would not be surprised if it is even more!

Here you go:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171815-dr-hasson-5919-grafts-one-procedure-6-5-months-22-months.html

When I was estimating your number, I guessed at 2000 for your crown and 2500 for your crown.

Say it ain't so!!

Actually. I was guessing around 2,000 for the crown as well and an additional 2000-2500 frontal and mid scalp. I think those numbers would be good to roll with. I think 3,000 is not sufficient, unless you plan on going in for a touch up in the following year or so.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily