My Surgery with Ron Shapiro

HairKlepto

So finally after having to postpone the surgery once, i was able to have my surgery with Ron Shapiro for some frontal hairline work (~1500 grafts). I've had a few previous transplants and was looking to thicken up the hairline and soften it a bit.

I had a hard time choosing between Ron and Victor Hasson. I chose him over Hasson (even though I liked Victor's hairlines a bit more), because he seemed to have the best combination of results and consistency/reputation. It was close overall.

I have mixed feelings about the end result.

As far as the experience, it went pretty smooth. The tech's were very nice and so was the admin staff (all but one of the staff members there was very warm and friendly).

As far as pros, my scabs were gone in five days which seemed almost miraculous considering it normally takes me 21 days plus for all my scabs to be gone and I've had surgeries with a few different docs. The hairline looks pretty good although there are some things I don't like about it which I will mention in the cons section. Ron also placed most of the single hair grafts himself which really impressed me. He also did a nice peak on the left side with a few grafts and really made my forehead look smaller (his idea). He kept me conservative overall which was needed since I have limited donor left. He went above and beyond and lot of ways.

On the cons side there are these four clusters of hairs right of the front of the hairline that look odd to me. I know it was done to create irregularities but the way they are spaced and so forth it just looks kinda weird. Maybe it will look better without the redness, but as of now my eye is drawn to it in a bad way. Some of the hairs around them have fallen out since to it's getting harder to tell day by day but I'm worried about once everything grows in. He had to work around my previous work which made it much more challenging.

All in all I am happy with my decision to go with Ron. He do some major reworking of the previous damage I had from other transplants. I don't think anyone could have done a better job with it than him.

Edited by HairKlepto

Dr. Ron does have a good track record. We can't really speculate as to why he didn't want to do more grafts as there is a lot unknown, but it is unfortunate; we all want to have the most done so that we don't have to come back the following year.

I just hope that everything turns out well for you and you get the results that you were looking for, regardless of your experience.

Nick

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

Dr. Ron does have a good track record. We can't really speculate as to why he didn't want to do more grafts as there is a lot unknown, but it is unfortunate; we all want to have the most done so that we don't have to come back the following year.

I just hope that everything turns out well for you and you get the results that you were looking for, regardless of your experience.

Nick

The end result could prove it as a part of the intended artistry. He's definitely a pro.

Edited by HairKlepto

Dr. Ron is very very very into what he does. I had a meeting with Matt Zupan about 2 or 3 weeks before my surgery and Dr. Ron came into the room because I was going over my time with Matt. He took me into his office and talked to me for a good 30minutes-45 minutes about hairlines. I highly doubt he would have let you walk out of that building with something that would leave a questionable result. He has worked his life on gaining that reputation and I don't think he's looking to lose it. Like I said, I don't think I can speculate, but I'm sure you'll be fine.

I guess it would help to have pictures of the clusters of gaps.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

*74 quadruples.

Non-Surgical Treatments:

Dr. Ron is very very very into what he does. I had a meeting with Matt Zupan about 2 or 3 weeks before my surgery and Dr. Ron came into the room because I was going over my time with Matt. He took me into his office and talked to me for a good 30minutes-45 minutes about hairlines. I highly doubt he would have let you walk out of that building with something that would leave a questionable result. He has worked his life on gaining that reputation and I don't think he's looking to lose it. Like I said, I don't think I can speculate, but I'm sure you'll be fine.

I guess it would help to have pictures of the clusters of gaps.

I'll try to post one later. Some of the hair in the clusters have fallen out so it looks better now then it did with all the hairs in place. Not sure how easy it would be from the photo to tell. I wish I lived closer to MN so I could have just gone back in and asked his opinion.

I think photos will definitely help us assess your situation a little better HairKlepto, but I can assure you that you were in very good hands at SMG. Dr. Shapiro(s) take pride in their work and results, and I'm sure they would be happy to address any concerns you have with your outcome.

Wishing you the best!

Mike

4737 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 11/16/2012

Daily regimen: 1/4 Proscar (1.25 mg Finasteride), Rogaine Foam (twice daily), 1000 mcg Biotin, 1 combo Vitamin D/Calcium/Magnesium, 1500 mg Glocosamine, 750 mg MSM, 1200 mg Fish Oil, 2000 mg Vitamin C, Super B-Complex, 400 I.U Vitamin E.

I am not a medical professional. All views and opinions expressed in this forum are of my own.

I think photos will definitely help us assess your situation a little better HairKlepto, but I can assure you that you were in very good hands at SMG. Dr. Shapiro(s) take pride in their work and results, and I'm sure they would be happy to address any concerns you have with your outcome.

Wishing you the best!

Mike

I tried taking some a few mins ago but so many of the hairs have fallen out that you can't really see the section of concern much any more. I could post them if people are just curious about the work in general although again it doesn't show his real hairline since I've started shedding.

I think you'll find that all of us in this forum are a little photo-crazy....so you wouldn't hear any complaints if you wanted to share your current photos with us! I always like to see the work from different clinics, regardless in what stage the patient is pre/post-op. With that said, if the only reason you were planning on sharing was to highlight your concerns (and the "problem" area you speak of has already shed and wouldn't be visible to illustrate your point), then I wouldn't worry too much about posting photos until your hair begins to grow in. What your describing could very well be something that looked funny immediately post-op, but won't be a concern once the recipient area begins to grow in.

Whatever you decide to do, you are in a great place for support and feedback!

Looking forward to seeing some photos of your experience in the near future!

Best,

Mike

4737 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 11/16/2012

Daily regimen: 1/4 Proscar (1.25 mg Finasteride), Rogaine Foam (twice daily), 1000 mcg Biotin, 1 combo Vitamin D/Calcium/Magnesium, 1500 mg Glocosamine, 750 mg MSM, 1200 mg Fish Oil, 2000 mg Vitamin C, Super B-Complex, 400 I.U Vitamin E.

I am not a medical professional. All views and opinions expressed in this forum are of my own.

hang in there bro, in a few months those hairs will start to grow, and you will be in a better place, after they grow in you will be able to reassess and see how ur new hairline will look. im pullin for you , now comes the hard part , WAITING, do you have any post op pics to show what your referring to? janna is great answering emails ,call her or send her a email about your concerns .

Things that look odd immediately after surgery often end up looking just right after the transplant grows in. I would also say to hang in there and see how it fills in.

In the meantime, I also advise you to contact the clinic and discuss your concerns. I know first-hand how inconvenient and disheartening it can be to have to return for a follow-up but the positive here is that the Shapiros stand behind their work and will certainly do whatever it takes to ensure your happiness.

Good luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Is the clusters that you're talking about look like what I have in my picture on my hair transplant website from my post-op photos? Click on my "View my hair loss website" link in my signature. Let me know. That's the only thing that I can think of..

I had my transplant with Dr. Paul Shapiro, so maybe the "clusters" you are talking about are the same as what I had.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

*74 quadruples.

Non-Surgical Treatments:

Matt touched base with me about my concerns and assured me of Ron's care towards his patients. He spoke with Ron and thinks there was some miscommunication perhaps regarding the extra grafts. He setup a time for Ron and I to speak. I've attached a photo although it's not totally clear as some of the hairs have shed in regards to the clusters. They may look totally normal once healed and be part of the intended artistry. On the plus side I had my staples removed at another clinic locally and the nurse said the scar looks really thin. Hopefully that continues. I looked at it in a mirror and while hard to tell it did seem thin.

photo.JPG.64f02dad3e13b0a49eb7e092f066d108.JPG

Are you talking about the little points in the hair that look like pencil tips? If so, that's completely normal to do. I had the exact same thing done. Dr. Ron is incredible with hairlines and I think you'll be plesently surprised when it grows in.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

*74 quadruples.

Non-Surgical Treatments:

I'm fairly certain those "clusters" you are talking about are the "micro-irregularity" that is a signature of SMG's hairlines. Once it is grown in it looks very natural and a bit more uniform in it's irregularity if that makes sense.

Perhaps doing some FUE on the spur of the moment towards the end of your procedure was not possible for a number of reasons, I can understand how you might have been disappointed.

Good luck growing I'll bet that in a years time you'll be very happy.

Thank you for being so honest about your procedure. It does seem quite odd that Dr Ron seems set to a timeline and assumes patients can just go back for another procedure at no inconvenience. Again thank you because many people gloss over the negative aspects of their procedures. I hope you have an amazing result.

Yes, I'm referring to the pencil tips in the very front. Also some of the hairs have sheds to they are not as pronounced. I agree they are meant to be micro-irregularities although I just think the execution looks odd to me. The rest of the irregularities along the hairline look fine to me. I would also add that perhaps it will looks good once the redness is gone and it's grown in. Although if I happened to keep my hair this short I would say it looks odd as it is now.

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171840-dr-paul-shapiro-8-mos-strip-result-3416gr-6674-hairs.html

Look at that case, he has the "Pencil tip" micro irregularities as well that you can see in the photos, and his hairline looks incredible in the after results.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

*74 quadruples.

Non-Surgical Treatments:

I think it's being confused that I have a problem with irregularities, whereas I think they are necessary. I'm just talking about the execution. To me the link you reference, the post-op looks fine to me. I would expect a good result based on it. The hairline is rounded and cohesive. Where as mine looks almost partially rounded with a squareness in the front. Granted some hairs have shed so it has lost some shape and there is a lot I like about the hairline, but no one has said yeh they looks totally normal... they just say it should look good once it's grown out. lol

I think it's being confused that I have a problem with irregularities, whereas I think they are necessary. I'm just talking about the execution. To me the link you reference, the post-op looks fine to me. I would expect a good result based on it. The hairline is rounded and cohesive. Where as mine looks almost partially rounded with a squareness in the front. Granted some hairs have shed so it has lost some shape and there is a lot I like about the hairline, but no one has said yeh they looks totally normal... they just say it should look good once it's grown out. lol

It looks totally normal. :D Try and relax, if you continue second guessing things you will be an unhappy camper. Your hairline looks very similar to all of the other hairlines done by Dr. Ron and his brother, although I think Dr. Paul is even more aggressive in his use of micro-irregularities. Nothing here seems odd or out of the ordinary to me and I have been looking at SMG's hairlines for years. We've all seen that linear hairlines look like crap and look exactly like a bad transplant. Stan Lee of SpiderMan fame comes to mind as I just saw a picture of him at Comic Con here in Chicago.. he looks awful. :eek:

It looks totally normal. :D Try and relax, if you continue second guessing things you will be an unhappy camper. Your hairline looks very similar to all of the other hairlines done by Dr. Ron and his brother, although I think Dr. Paul is even more aggressive in his use of micro-irregularities. Nothing here seems odd or out of the ordinary to me and I have been looking at SMG's hairlines for years. We've all seen that linear hairlines look like crap and look exactly like a bad transplant. Stan Lee of SpiderMan fame comes to mind as I just saw a picture of him at Comic Con here in Chicago.. he looks awful. :eek:

Thanks :). Yeh, i even requested that he do macro and micro irregularities (knowing he would anyway), and yeh I'm probably over analyzing things a bit. Also keep in mind that a lot of the hairs have shed before I could take the photo so it doesn't totally show what I was referring to. I think it's because there were four of them and they were perfectly spaced and circular (like plugs but made out of single hairs :). I know Ron is a pro and that's why I chose him. i have recommended him numerous times on here. I have a meeting with him later today and will be curious of what he thinks.

Just talked to Ron and he really had great reasons for not wanting to go in for more grafts. I mis-understood his intentions and realize that it was all in my best interest. He really is a great doctor who cares about his patients. I also realize he had a lot of challenges with my previous work.

I'm glad things were all cleared up. Now, relax and let the results show. Keep us updated!! I know I'll be keeping you all updated with my SMG results. Month 3 approaching quickly.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

*74 quadruples.

Non-Surgical Treatments:

Very cool that you and Dr Shapiro sorted things out. You are an asset to have on the forum as I have said before and I applaud you for being absolutely transparent.