Recommend NYC Doctors/Clinic

I am located in New York City, looking to do FUE, probably for somewhere around 500-800 follicles. I went for a quick consultation with Bosley, they are asking for $10/follicle. Not sure what the market rate is, any idea...?

If someone has had experience doing FUE in New York, can you recommend a doctor/clinic with 1) reliable high quality/natural looking surgery, 2) reasonable cost if possible.

Thanks a ton!

Hey buddy,

First of all.. Whatever you do DO NOT GO TO BOSLEY.

Ok, now that we've got that out of the way. The rate for FUE will vary from 6$ per graft all the way up to 12$ per and sometimes more. The type of transplant you need will determine the recommendation I would give. For example, how old are you? How extensive is your loss? Is it hairline work or crown work?

True and Dorin are in NYC and while I didn't choose them I did consult with them. Dr. Feller is in great neck but for FUE, personally, I would not choose him. Ultimately I traveled to Canada to have my work done by dr. rahal because of his consistent hair line work. With this type of procedure it's imperative you get it right the first time. It took me nearly ten years to finally go through with a procedure partly because mine was limited to temporal recession and was relatively slow/stable.

I'd suggest that you post some pics so we can give you a proper reco and advise you best. There are many many knowledgable guys here on the forum. Good luck.

I am located in New York City, looking to do FUE, probably for somewhere around 500-800 follicles. I went for a quick consultation with Bosley, they are asking for $10/follicle. Not sure what the market rate is, any idea...?

If someone has had experience doing FUE in New York, can you recommend a doctor/clinic with 1) reliable high quality/natural looking surgery, 2) reasonable cost if possible.

Thanks a ton!

I personally would look outside of NYC for FUE. If you are willing to travel and want affordable and great FUE, Dr Hakan is the cheapest(and one of the best) FUE surgeons recommended here. He is located in Turkey though which may be a hindrance. Bisanga, Feriduni and Mwamba is Belgium are also far superior(in my opinion) than any of the North America surgeons who perform FUE and have decent rates too.

He may not be top of most people's list but John Frank seems like a straight up kinda guy, and here's a good example of what he can do with FUE in your graft range:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/169822-john-frank-md-new-york-fue.html

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Just read the forums Realdeal for a long period of time. This is an excellent forum.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply, guys. This forum looks quite helpful!

A bit more details about myself: I'm on early 30s. My hairline started receding although sort of gradually from early 20s. Right now, I have some recession esp at temple area. I have included my pictures in album, link below. First 3 pictures are in natural state, last 3 pictures are from a recent consultation I had with True & Dorin (hence the pencil marks).

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/realdeal777/albums/2628

I feel that every year the hairline is going back, so I started using Rogaine foam since last year. Although I have been bit inconsistent lately as I had unrealistic expectation of getting some regrowth, but I plan to continue using it as a defense going forward.

I want to go thru FUE surgery to restore my hairline. I have had two consultations so far: one with Bosley and one with True & Dorin. Bosley suggested that I do about 800 grafts, while Dr Dorin suggested I do somewhere between 1500 - 2000 grafts. Both suggested $10/graft as cost. (As a reference: I was told that I had thick donor area, so could do up to 8,000 grafts in total, although I guess by that he meant additional surgeries in future if needed).

Would be great if you guys can advise me on:

1) Any idea why graft number suggested by Bosley vs Dorin is so different? Not sure if it has anything to do with density proposed. Dr Dorin suggested density would be somewhere less than 1/2 but more than 1/3rd of my normal hair density. Bosley didn't suggest anything per se about density. Area-wise, Dr Dorin put a pencil mark (last 3 pics on my album). Can you suggest me number of grafts needed (a) to cover area penciled, (b) to bring the hairline a bit further down.

2) The hairline suggested by Dr Dorin (with theh pencil mark on last 3 pics on my album) is better than my current hairline, but I was expecting a bit better/lower hairline. Otherwise, the result didn't look attractive enough to justify $15-20k, in my personal opinion... Am I being unrealistic?

3) My budget really is $10k, and I want ideally a slightly lower hairline than what Dr Dorin has penciled on last 3 pics on my album. Is this impossible to do with FUE? Any suggestions? I can consider going overseas if costs are let's say half... (after all looks like I'd need to take 1-2 weeks off work anyways due to shaving/scarring)

4) I was told that usually there aren't many complications with FUE as it's a surficial surgery. I would like to know if any of you guys know if I should worry or be aware of something...?

5) If I do the procedure overseas, obviously I guess there is the risk that shall there be any complication I won't be able to see the doctor straight away... How substantial is this risk? Are complications frequent? Or is this something manageable shall I be in that country for a week doing sightseeing after surgery?

Also, some follow-up questions please:-

> canuhairme,

Can you tell me why you suggest against going for Bosley? Also looks like you went to Canada to Dr Rahal. They seem to have offices in NY as well. Was the reason you went to Canada because you wanted to get it done by Dr Rahal himself?

> Mickey85,

Can you give me some idea about what Dr Hakan would charge for FUE? Also, any advice to patients from US, esp shall any complication/after-care needs arise?

real deal, You should consider yourself blessed you found this forum before going to Bosley. Why would you want to overpay for a doctor whose work you'll be unsure of? It makes much more sense to pay less for a doctor whose work you can peruse freely and see tons of results from. And you can speak to plenty of patients of your chosen doctor.

If you're looking into FUE megasessions you should definitely expand your scope and look beyond the NYC area. (Btw, Rahal only performs surgery in Canada--the office in NY is probably a satellite for consultations).

If I were you I would consult as many docs as possible and in the meantime continue to educate myself on the forum. Best of luck!

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Thanks for the advice, hairthere.

I would appreciate if some of you guys reply to some questions I had, as some answers would be such that only a patient who has gone thru the thing can answer, and such answers would carry the most weight as well I think. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply, guys. This forum looks quite helpful!

A bit more details about myself: I'm on early 30s. My hairline started receding although sort of gradually from early 20s. Right now, I have some recession esp at temple area. I have included my pictures in album, link below. First 3 pictures are in natural state, last 3 pictures are from a recent consultation I had with True & Dorin (hence the pencil marks).

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/realdeal777/albums/2628

I feel that every year the hairline is going back, so I started using Rogaine foam since last year. Although I have been bit inconsistent lately as I had unrealistic expectation of getting some regrowth, but I plan to continue using it as a defense going forward.

I want to go thru FUE surgery to restore my hairline. I have had two consultations so far: one with Bosley and one with True & Dorin. Bosley suggested that I do about 800 grafts, while Dr Dorin suggested I do somewhere between 1500 - 2000 grafts. Both suggested $10/graft as cost. (As a reference: I was told that I had thick donor area, so could do up to 8,000 grafts in total, although I guess by that he meant additional surgeries in future if needed).

Would be great if you guys can advise me on:

1) Any idea why graft number suggested by Bosley vs Dorin is so different? Not sure if it has anything to do with density proposed. Dr Dorin suggested density would be somewhere less than 1/2 but more than 1/3rd of my normal hair density. Bosley didn't suggest anything per se about density. Area-wise, Dr Dorin put a pencil mark (last 3 pics on my album). Can you suggest me number of grafts needed (a) to cover area penciled, (b) to bring the hairline a bit further down.

2) The hairline suggested by Dr Dorin (with theh pencil mark on last 3 pics on my album) is better than my current hairline, but I was expecting a bit better/lower hairline. Otherwise, the result didn't look attractive enough to justify $15-20k, in my personal opinion... Am I being unrealistic?

3) My budget really is $10k, and I want ideally a slightly lower hairline than what Dr Dorin has penciled on last 3 pics on my album. Is this impossible to do with FUE? Any suggestions? I can consider going overseas if costs are let's say half... (after all looks like I'd need to take 1-2 weeks off work anyways due to shaving/scarring)

4) I was told that usually there aren't many complications with FUE as it's a surficial surgery. I would like to know if any of you guys know if I should worry or be aware of something...?

5) If I do the procedure overseas, obviously I guess there is the risk that shall there be any complication I won't be able to see the doctor straight away... How substantial is this risk? Are complications frequent? Or is this something manageable shall I be in that country for a week doing sightseeing after surgery?

Also, some follow-up questions please:-

> canuhairme,

Can you tell me why you suggest against going for Bosley? Also looks like you went to Canada to Dr Rahal. They seem to have offices in NY as well. Was the reason you went to Canada because you wanted to get it done by Dr Rahal himself?

> Mickey85,

Can you give me some idea about what Dr Hakan would charge for FUE? Also, any advice to patients from US, esp shall any complication/after-care needs arise?

Realdeal-

Hey buddy, welcome to the forum. You have come to a great place for advice and support. I will try and answer some of your questions above, although I will start by saying that all of the guys have given you excellent advice when they tell you NOT TO GO TO BOSLEY for a hair restoration procedure. Bosley uses several "physicians" for hair transplantation. Most likely, they are not highly trained and specialized specifically in hair restoration; and it would certainly be a gamble on what kind of result you were going to get in the end. Especially at $10/graft. That's a lot of money to throw away if it doesn't go according to plan!!! Bosley is essentially an "assembly line" hair transplantation company....and frankly, that isn't the kind of business that works well for patients trying to get an outstanding result!

Hairthere is correct in saying that Dr. Rahal doesn't do procedures in New York at this time. He specifically has his California and New York offices setup for consultations and patient aftercare. All surgeries are performed by Dr. Rahal in Ottawa, Canada (which is still a very short trip in for you if you are in New York). Dr. Rahal charges $8/graft for his FUE work, and produces consistently excellent results. You should never rule out a location for your surgery when your end-goal is a satisfied hair transplant result!!!!

Now onto your specific questions:

1.) It is tough to say why Bosley and T&D are giving you different treatment numbers. But I would assume that True and Dorin are probably more accurate in the assessment than Bosley is. Bosley is happy to get patients in their door for treatment to get your money.....and are far less concerned that you leave their clinics satisfied.

2.) I think it is important to consider a hairline design that is both age-appropriate and achievable. An excellent hair restoration surgeon isn't going to suggest something that wouldn't ultimately work with your face/features, and yet isn't going to give you a low hairline that will ultimately not work for you later on.

3.) Again, this is where a lot of patients end up unhappy. Someone who is considering a hair restoration AND achieving the results they want to achieve, shouldn't place a pre-determined budget per se ($10,000 in your instance). The problem in doing this, is that you may need 2000 grafts in order to achieve the appearance YOU want, and yet the cost of grafts may not allow this result to be created. If T&D suggested that you need 1500-2000 grafts for the hairline they originally drew, and you wanted an even lower hairline.....well, you may need to consider even more grafts to achieve that. Keep in mind, lowering your hairline is not always a great idea.....

4.) In general, if you choose a surgeon who specializes in hair restoration (a recommended physician from the Hair Restoration Network), the procedure is very safe, with consistently great results. A cosmetic procedure of any kind isn't completely risk free.....however a good physician will essentially ensure that you have zero complications. The clinics are state of the art, the physicians and teams are highly trained, and hair restoration in general is minimally invasive. Especially if you go with an FUE procedure where there won't be an incision in your donor area!

5.) I can't comment about overseas work and any medical care that you might need afterwards. I imagine if there was a complication (however rare), it could get quite expensive.....as your insurance in the US wouldn't cover any medical emergencies or care that you may need from a cosmetic procedure gone wrong, overseas. That is part of the gamble with going abroad for a restoration. I saw a documentary where all of these women (and men) went to Mexico to save money on some sort of a body reconstruction....and they were left disfigured and ill! It ended up being way worse for them in the long run....as it not only ruined their figure, but left them with insane hospital bills! Your risk of something like this happening with a hair transplant is obviously significantly less...but you should be knowledgable and aware of ALL possibilities.

If you would like to email me some photos of your hair (and even if you wanted to draw the hairline you're looking to achieve on them), I would be happy to get them over to Dr. Rahal to see what he would recommend for a treatment plan for you. It would give you a better idea of how many grafts he would think were needed....and would help to determine roughly what the procedure would cost!

Again, welcome to the forum. It is great that you are starting to do your research, and that you didn't jump into anything too quickly. There are a lot of guys on these forums who have had bad results in their first (sometimes second) procedure because they didn't do proper research, and were "convinced" by the clinic to just jump right in. I'm sure a lot of them here would tell you the same thing.....that it pays to choose an excellent surgeon and to do your research before you take the plunge!

I am here to help in any way I can, so please make sure to reach out to me if you need anything at all!

Best,

Mike

4737 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 11/16/2012

Daily regimen: 1/4 Proscar (1.25 mg Finasteride), Rogaine Foam (twice daily), 1000 mcg Biotin, 1 combo Vitamin D/Calcium/Magnesium, 1500 mg Glocosamine, 750 mg MSM, 1200 mg Fish Oil, 2000 mg Vitamin C, Super B-Complex, 400 I.U Vitamin E.

I am not a medical professional. All views and opinions expressed in this forum are of my own.

Hey Realdeal. Dr Hakan charges 2.5EURO per FUE graft and is FUE exclusive. I think it is important to go for a surgeon who practices FUE most or if not all the time. You simply cannot compare the skills of a surgeon who does FUE 100% of the time to a surgeon who say does it 30% of the time. I'm not saying go for Hakan either, there are a variety of surgeons who practice FUE predominantly such as Reddy, Erdogan, Bisanga, Feriduni, Maras, Mwamba and Lorenzo. I personally do not think any surgeon in North America can hold a candle to the guys in Belgium, Turkey and UK for FUE(strip is another matter). But don't listen to just me, look at the results and judge for yourself because at the end of the day, it is YOUR procedure, not mine, not a representative of a surgeon, not a moderators and certainly not the surgeon's. Take things VERY slow in your decision because there is no going back and even the best doctor doesn't hit 100% all the time.