placement of grafts

Hi,

Is it normal for a HT doctor to have a medical assistant place the grafts for them? I was going to schedule a HT with Dr. Umar and his medical assistant places the grafts and for 20$ per graft Dr. Umar will do the placement of the grafts.

Techs almost always do the placements.

For the record, I don't think its a good idea for Umar to charge more for him to do it. It makes it seem like he can do a "Better" job. Plus, one person placing all the grafts is not a good idea anyway as fatigue would set in and could cause issues.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

Chris,

While we are more than happy to address your concerns, I did want to make a few comments:

First, when you create a thread to ask a question, please only create one thread in one forum. Creating multiple threads in different forums is a violation of our terms of service, and will always result in either a deletion or merging of duplicate threads.

Second, remember that you can ask multiple questions in a single thread.

Third, are you sure Dr. Umar will not answer any of these questions for you? I know you said before that he won't provide his specific pre-operative instructions before you actually schedule surgery, but I have to believe he would be more than willing to answer questions about graft placement, propecia, and minoxidil during a consultation. Perhaps you should visit him again and ask a few additional questions?

Thank you.

Now, with regard to your question:

Graft placement is well within the scope of a hair transplant technician. In fact, it is usually performed exclusively by technicians (with physician supervision). Having the technicians place grafts during your surgery is perfectly normal and acceptable.

I hope this helps!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Sorry but that is flat out outrageous. First of all $20/graft? I just had my done by a very highly accredited doctor for like $4.75/graft for 900 UT. FUE was more in the $7-8 range and the Dr. did state that part of the higher cost reflected that she would have to do almost all if not all of the FUE herself while the FUT was shared between her and assistants.

Im all for making/paying money for high level services but that just seems way outside of the norm!

How many grafts are you getting and Im assuming this is an FUE...?

Chris, it seems as though you are having problems commiting with Umar. Perhaps you should explore your options and choose another surgeon if there are this many issues, even though I wouldn't consider technicians placing grafts to be an issue, as that's their specialty.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

As has been said, it's perfectly normal for techs to place the grafts. Personally I wouldn't want to pay more for a doctor to do it as, truth be told, the technicians will have most likely performed this task many more times than the doctor has. I'm sure any HT doctor would agree with that.

You will most likely have numerous technicians involved in this part of the procedure and I know when I had my HT I found it comforting that I had so many skilled people around me.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Erm....Lorenzo, Keser, Hakan, and Koray place all the grafts themselves and have been doing so for years and do not have any Techs involved in this process and have had no problems in regards to fatigue. And for me personally i prefer this method.

As has been said, it's perfectly normal for techs to place the grafts. Personally I wouldn't want to pay more for a doctor to do it as, truth be told, the technicians will have most likely performed this task many more times than the doctor has. I'm sure any HT doctor would agree with that.

I agree.

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors