The Jason Statham Conundrum...

Mickey,

I think Statham looks great and I enjoy watching him in action films. Not sure what he would look like with hair but I think his whole look has aided him in becoming the action style character he is today.

I meant there is no point comparing the ability to attract the opposite sex when one person is famous and the other is just a regular guy.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mickey,

I think Statham looks great and I enjoy watching him in action films. Not sure what he would look like with hair but I think his whole look has aided him in becoming the action style character he is today.

I meant there is no point comparing the ability to attract the opposite sex when one person is famous and the other is just a regular guy.

Fair point Chris, I can't argue that at all hehe. Being a celebrity does give one the ultimate aphrodisiac effect for sure. But if Statham were not a celeb, I don't think he would have any trouble getting the girls the way he looks.

Agreed. I don't think he would either.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Hey 'Can't decide' I'm going to wait until I'm at 6 months before I share before/after photo's. I'm at 3 months now and even though I see 1000s of little hairs growing in a magnifying mirror, to the casual observer I look just the same as I did pre op, but based on what I see I'm really excited :)

Evil-I understand about wanting to wait 6 months to post pics. Can you tell me the size in sq cm of the area covered, overall strategy and doc? I am having mine done in August so I am curious.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

I struggled with the decision to get a HT because of this exact issue. In the end I feel like if shaving my head was a good option I would have done it. However, with moles, weird shaped head, and an overall super pale head I just didn't see it as a good look.

Evil-I understand about wanting to wait 6 months to post pics. Can you tell me the size in sq cm of the area covered, overall strategy and doc? I am having mine done in August so I am curious.

I don't know the exact size but I just measured it and it seems like around 120 sq cm. My overall strategy is to save money and even if it takes me another 2 years I will have another HT to address my hairline and midsection. I had a hair transplant around 8/9 years ago to those areas (front & mid) of 1600 grafts by the chain MHR, similar to Bosley before I knew better.

So I'm planning on another 3000 grafts and if I think it needs it I will be using around 500 of those grafts for my crown again and the rest of 2500 for the front So that will be a final total of around 4000 for the hairline and midsection.

The clinic that did this recent transplant to my crown 3 months ago was the Colorado Hair Institute and the Dr that harvested the 3036 grafts was Dr Searle and the techs led by Kathryn did the incisions and placements. I plan on going back to them because they were very professional and it seems from what I can see in the mirror that I am on target for lots of growth in the next 3 months.

If Jason Statham was not an action movie star and working in the local factory you can be sure he would have nowhere near the female attention he gets. Therefore i find these comparisons a bit futile.

In saying that he does rock the bald look good. Its true a good shaped head is key.

However bottom line i think the sad fact is almost everyone looks better with hair or a shaved hairline.

What a true! That is what i am trying to prove all the time. Bald (mpb, not shaved) CAN NOT look good.

I don't know the exact size but I just measured it and it seems like around 120 sq cm. My overall strategy is to save money and even if it takes me another 2 years I will have another HT to address my hairline and midsection. I had a hair transplant around 8/9 years ago to those areas (front & mid) of 1600 grafts by the chain MHR, similar to Bosley before I knew better.

So I'm planning on another 3000 grafts and if I think it needs it I will be using around 500 of those grafts for my crown again and the rest of 2500 for the front So that will be a final total of around 4000 for the hairline and midsection.

The clinic that did this recent transplant to my crown 3 months ago was the Colorado Hair Institute and the Dr that harvested the 3036 grafts was Dr Searle and the techs led by Kathryn did the incisions and placements. I plan on going back to them because they were very professional and it seems from what I can see in the mirror that I am on target for lots of growth in the next 3 months.

Sounds great. I look forward to your 6 month pics. Did you cover the while 120 sq cm with the 3036 grafts?

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

Sounds great. I look forward to your 6 month pics. Did you cover the while 120 sq cm with the 3036 grafts?

Yep all the grafts went into the crown. I can hardly wait for the next 3 months :)

It's simple. Most guys just look terrible without hair. I know I do. Some people use stupid excuses about compensating with personality, but for one, that only takes you so far and you're still going to lose out to the better-looking guys who also have personality (and probably some who don't even have that), and two, why should I have to fabricate some kind of over-the-top personality that isn't really mine, just to try and compensate for something of mine that nature - or the world - or genetics - or whatever - tried to screw me out of?

It's a much more aggressive statement to be your own designer and to take matters into your own hands and fix things the way you want them, than it is to just let the world man-handle you, or let genetics victimize you, or just be complacent while something (some force that isn't you and doesn't represent your will) just decides that you get to be placed a few rungs down the ladder all of a sudden. I'm a human with a will, not an animal subject to circumstance (or at least as far as I can help it).

I'm not particularly religious, but the Serenity Prayer is actually pretty good:

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

The courage to change the things I can,

And wisdom to know the difference.

In the modern world, there are very few things about a person's self or a person's life they cannot change with a little willpower; it takes weakness and fear and excuses to stand by and do nothing while life's opportunities waste away and the world scratches you up and erodes you down. It takes courage and force of will to take a risk, brave the pain, claim what's yours, and seize control of your own destiny.

Funny, Statham was the first name my wife pulled out as to why I shouldn't worry about hairloss - "See, bald guys can be hot!". That's true, some can be but for many losing hair, especially the hairline severely unbalances facial features. As you can see from the OP picture, he has very good genetics and his features stay perfectly balanced even with the hair thinning.

My view is that once you are pushing nw5, and if you are still young enough to care, don't worry about maximum grafts. Instead, worry about choices. Get grafts put where they count, and keep the donor pristine enough to buzz it at a moments notice. Knowing you have options is empowering. Knowing you blew your options for 1500 more grafts is a major drain on the spirit.

And..a strong jaw, nice head is one thing. Square shoulders too. Slumped shoulders, long neck and a bald buzz?..good luck. A wardrobe that emphasis bold lines....I.e. suits, jackets, bold colors and designs etc...is essential. As is the bold lines and contours for facial hair. This stuff needs to be sorted. No vagueness. No ambiguity. No Johhny Depp subtle, hippy bohemian please. Smooth skin, tight or strong cuts in your clothes. Perfect posture. Robot body language. Even the aesthetics of everything you identify with is tested. Plenty have gone the buzz and said 'peace out' but that has a price. You might fell like you miss out on plenty if you do. More say. "Yeah, I buzz, you gotta problem, cause I kick ass."

Both are extreme positions.

It's a conundrum. People even change their music downloads because they want to forge a new identity.

Having a successful HT also brings its conundrum..lol

Interesting points.. this is pretty much what I was getting at. People see macho men like Statham pulling a NW5 and think "There's hope for me!"

What they don't see, is everything that goes into the entire package. (e.g. posture, facial aesthetics, wardrobe, build, neck size, skin tone etc..)

It's simple. Most guys just look terrible without hair. I know I do. Some people use stupid excuses about compensating with personality, but for one, that only takes you so far and you're still going to lose out to the better-looking guys who also have personality (and probably some who don't even have that), and two, why should I have to fabricate some kind of over-the-top personality that isn't really mine, just to try and compensate for something of mine that nature - or the world - or genetics - or whatever - tried to screw me out of?

It's a much more aggressive statement to be your own designer and to take matters into your own hands and fix things the way you want them, than it is to just let the world man-handle you, or let genetics victimize you, or just be complacent while something (some force that isn't you and doesn't represent your will) just decides that you get to be placed a few rungs down the ladder all of a sudden. I'm a human with a will, not an animal subject to circumstance (or at least as far as I can help it).

I'm not particularly religious, but the Serenity Prayer is actually pretty good:

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

The courage to change the things I can,

And wisdom to know the difference.

In the modern world, there are very few things about a person's self or a person's life they cannot change with a little willpower; it takes weakness and fear and excuses to stand by and do nothing while life's opportunities waste away and the world scratches you up and erodes you down. It takes courage and force of will to take a risk, brave the pain, claim what's yours, and seize control of your own destiny.

@OtherSyde..

Well said.. That's exactly why I decided to get my HT.

Even though I was only about a NW2 or 3, I was tired of being taken a few rungs down the ladder. I have a very young looking face, and that doesn't mesh well with a receding hairline. Fortunately, I recognized this early and took matters into my own hands.

Brilliantly put OtherSyde! In many ways it takes more courage to get a HT than to go without. I dont often post but had to comment on your great post.

Shaved heads suit some people but do not suit others. It certainly doesnt help when you are pale, which I happen to be!

! In many ways it takes more courage to get a HT than to go without. e!

I was proud I had the balls to do an HT. When called out for it by the bullies at work, I was proud to look people in the eye and tell them I did it. They respected me a little more perhaps. But the average folks don't see it like that. You are a loser for having an HT, plain and simple. That is the natural reflex of the human mind circa 21st century. Never lose sight of it and plan accordingly.

After a few years, you get sick of standing up, all proud. You can have a sense of humor about it, but it can go tragically belly up if the nasty scars start to show themselves.

I say HTs are great, and it most definitely takes honesty and courage to do them, but don't expect to much praise from girls at the office, not if the competitive human spirit has got anything to do with it.

I honestly think that most of the pity or negativity some people might display when told that you're planning a hair transplant is due to the fact that most people don't know just how great the results can be. They are expecting it to look ridiculous and they feel bad about what they believe you are in store for. People don't generally feel that same way about nose jobs, boob jobs, etc. because they're more familiar with them and already know what can be accomplished.

I know when I told my dad and sisters that I was having a hair transplant they tried to talk me out of it. I got comments like "You look just fine the way you are", "That's a lot of money", "What if it doesn't work?", etc.

My dad was particularly skeptical but he was trying to be supportive. I would show him results from this site and he took them with a grain of salt. He's from the era of doctored photos in the backs of magazines promoting various snake oil hair growth products and just did not believe any of the results he saw. Until now that is.

In the last few years, he's told me numerous times that it was one of the best things I've ever done for myself. My sisters too will often look back at old photos and comment about how much better my hair looks now than before. They've also noted the positive change in my confidence and demeanor.

I chose not to tell co-workers and most friends simply because I'm not that close to my co-workers and I also just felt that it sort of lessens the effect. I'd rather people just think this is my natural hair unless there is a need for them to know otherwise.

I'll be 45 soon and I've got three close friends my age that have zero hair loss. No recession whatsoever. I'll be honest and say that they are not impressed with my hair transplant. They want to know why I couldn't have a hairline as low as theirs and thicker hair. In their minds, a mature hairline equates to hair loss. They don't get it. But, I also have one close friend who went through the balding process right along with me. He loves my hair transplant and wishes that he was financially able to follow in my footsteps.

I'm not ashamed at all. I've told virtually every hairdresser I've met about my transplant. I've discussed it openly in salons. Been questioned by other patrons about it and told a few other friends, family members and acquaintances along the way. I told my wife very soon after we met.

Of course, had I made a misstep and gone to an unqualified, unskilled physician, then the doom and gloom my family predicted would have come true. But, this is true for all cosmetic procedures.

In the end, do what makes you happy. There is no shame in living bald. There is no shame in trying to do something about hair loss.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I honestly think that most of the pity or negativity some people might display when told that you're planning a hair transplant is due to the fact that most people don't know just how great the results can be. .

.....and knowing that 'ain't gonna help you one iota...

Great post though, I agree with that.

Who do you dress for?

A) The mob in the street

B) yourself in the mirror

Ask Obama about that one? Or any politician, sales rep., clerk in a store with an annual bonus. Ask anyone who is not 'institutionilized' I.e. in the army, civil servant, customs officer, or in a 'labor' job, where the distinct boundaries between management and labor are defined. Mining , track driving etc..Tell Jason Stantham.

We are told to be natural... Lol..and there's plenty to be said for that. Ha..

Really, showing people that your ht worked out just great, and proved me all wrong is not gonna help you in the stud department. It is gonna help the bald guy who says 'sincerely' Oh..bud..I gotta get me one. Meanwhile, the girls will tell him he need not. They would be wrong, but he is empowered at the ht guy's expense anyway. Crazy!,:confused

I honestly think that most of the pity or negativity some people might display when told that you're planning a hair transplant is due to the fact that most people don't know just how great the results can be. They are expecting it to look ridiculous and they feel bad about what they believe you are in store for. People don't generally feel that same way about nose jobs, boob jobs, etc. because they're more familiar with them and already know what can be accomplished.

This is absolutely right and I like the way you put it. The 'public' (those who haven't looked into the subject for themselves) still have quite a negative perception of hair transplants and it can sometimes be very obvious that they think you're making a mistake.

I'm not ashamed at all. I've told virtually every hairdresser I've met about my transplant. I've discussed it openly in salons. Been questioned by other patrons about it and told a few other friends, family members and acquaintances along the way. I told my wife very soon after we met.

I've lost count of the number of people I've told. Some people assume that the hair must be fake and are amazed by how natural it looks. That's one of the things I like to quickly correct them on! I'm always giving impromptu HT 'consultations' to people.

Your hair is looking great by the way.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

The 'public' (those who haven't looked into the subject for themselves) still have quite a negative perception of hair transplants .

Exactly, and being an HT evangelist will take you...?

Exactly, and being an HT evangelist will take you...?

To a place of peace of mind for some.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I know when I told my dad and sisters that I was having a hair transplant they tried to talk me out of it. I got comments like "You look just fine the way you are", "That's a lot of money", "What if it doesn't work?", etc.

My dad was particularly skeptical but he was trying to be supportive. I would show him results from this site and he took them with a grain of salt. He's from the era of doctored photos in the backs of magazines promoting various snake oil hair growth products and just did not believe any of the results he saw. Until now that is.

In the last few years, he's told me numerous times that it was one of the best things I've ever done for myself. My sisters too will often look back at old photos and comment about how much better my hair looks now than before. They've also noted the positive change in my confidence and demeanor.

I chose not to tell co-workers and most friends simply because I'm not that close to my co-workers and I also just felt that it sort of lessens the effect. I'd rather people just think this is my natural hair unless there is a need for them to know otherwise.

I'll be 45 soon and I've got three close friends my age that have zero hair loss. No recession whatsoever. I'll be honest and say that they are not impressed with my hair transplant. They want to know why I couldn't have a hairline as low as theirs and thicker hair. In their minds, a mature hairline equates to hair loss. They don't get it. But, I also have one close friend who went through the balding process right along with me. He loves my hair transplant and wishes that he was financially able to follow in my footsteps.

Of course, had I made a misstep and gone to an unqualified, unskilled physician, then the doom and gloom my family predicted would have come true. But, this is true for all cosmetic procedures.

In the end, do what makes you happy. There is no shame in living bald. There is no shame in trying to do something about hair loss.

I don't understand how your friends would not be impressed. Do they think you looked better before your HT?

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I don't understand how your friends would not be impressed. Do they think you looked better before your HT

Spanker, these are guys who probably still have the same hairline they were born with. For them, any temple recession, even a Norwood II equates with hair loss. I can remember getting questions like, "It looks good but why is it still so high on the sides?" or "Why isn't your hairline straight?"

I'm sure they felt I looked better but they didn't understand the realities and limitations of hair transplant surgery or how I could be so satisfied with what they still saw as a "balding" appearance. Maybe it's a "glass half empty" vs. "glass half full" situation. I was thrilled to get my half of a glass back! :)

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

Your hair is looking great by the way.

Thanks Matt! Always room for improvement but I've been quite happy!

Spanker, these are guys who probably still have the same hairline they were born with. For them, any temple recession, even a Norwood II equates with hair loss. I can remember getting questions like, "It looks good but why is it still so high on the sides?" or "Why isn't your hairline straight?"

I'm sure they felt I looked better but they didn't understand the realities and limitations of hair transplant surgery or how I could be so satisfied with what they still saw as a "balding" appearance. Maybe it's a "glass half empty" vs. "glass half full" situation. I was thrilled to get my half of a glass back! :)

Well technically if the presence of matter equates to the glass being full or empty, then the glass is always full.