Is this normal

There could still be scabbing along the scar 5 weeks post op. The bleeding could be from the scabs comming off. I wouldnt say it is normal for bleeding to occur but it is not abnormal either. But definitely speak to your doctor about it just to be sure.

Taco,

I think Mickey brings up a good point about the possibility of scabs falling off and bleeding while you're drying your scalp. However, I do think this is something you should talk to your doctor about. What's more, it's very difficult to tell how one portion of the scar will heal at 5 weeks post op.

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I'm worried that this part of the scar will heal wide

You won't know until a few more months how the scar will turn out champ. I went through the same thing and it was torturous. Do not dispair just yet. The redness you see is common around a scar, give it time before you worry.

I agree with all comments above. It's not a usual thing, but it's not unheard of to have some scabbing persist at this stage. You knock off the scabs and you bleed. Speak to your doctor.

There's no reason this will cause your scar to heal wide, just as long as you don't do anything to stretch it. You should definitely be aware of this and avoid lifting weights and other activities which put stress on the scar.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

if i call my doc hes not gonna tell me anything, should i put something on it or jus let it heal naturally

Why don't you think the doc won't tell you anything?

Me personally, I left mine alone and just let Mother Nature take its course.

Hair Transplant Dr Feller Oct 2011

Hair Transplant Dr Lorenzo June 2014

It appears that the very center of your strip scar is a few mm wider that the rest of the scar. It almost looks like several of the sutures may have loosened, and where the oozing is coming from. Do you sleep flat on your back? If so, sometimes the sutures can be disrupted from rubbing if they are dissolvable. Are you wearing a cap that possibly could have too much tension on the band? Doing any activity that may potentially be putting tension on the scar?

Hard to judge from the pics but it appears that the center of the scar where the bleeding is taking place is approximately 3 mm wide? The ends look tight like they should.

You undoubtedly have some oozing coming from this center area, and why I think several of the sutures have loosened or were possibly lost.

Try to have a digital quality photo taken and email to you doctor for an opinion.

It will heal soon and the bleeding will subside. A new scab will form but whatever you do, don't rub the area with a towel, just pat dry like you have been doing.

You can also spray the area with a saline based spray throughout the day to facilitate the healing of the wound.

Best wishes to you!

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Wow! Fantastic reply, Dr. Feller. Thank you for sharing.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Awesome that Dr Feller posted a video response!

Although I am certainly not qualified to judge my donor characteristics myself with any certainty, I do believe that my scalp laxity is pretty loose. I can move my scalp all around while keeping my fingers on the same part of the skin.

So here I am being happy about that, thinking it will help with the amount of grafts I can obtain in a procedure and maybe also be a plus in other areas. Now i'm a little bummed that having "good" scalp laxity might mean that the scar may not heal as well. But, I am sure it is still more advantageous to have higher scalp laxity than not obviously.

Anyway, Dr Feller mentioned in another video, on his way to work (cool idea), about the time when he was in the 7-11 and noticed himself in the camera monitor with hair loss. Strictly out of curiosity, does anyone know if he underwent a procedure at any point?

Yes, I have had three transplants myself by three different doctors over the past 20 years.

Unlike many patients who retain at least some recipient hair in addition to their transplants, I have absolutely none. Just like my father and both grandfathers. So what you see are pure hair transplants.

Nice response Dr. F.! Great to see you on the forum and thanks for the bit of nostalgia with the Stretch Armstrong doll!

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Yes, I have had three transplants myself by three different doctors over the past 20 years.

Unlike many patients who retain at least some recipient hair in addition to their transplants, I have absolutely none. Just like my father and both grandfathers. So what you see are pure hair transplants.

Thank you for personally replying Dr Feller.

I don't mean to pry, but then again how often is it that the opportunity presents itself to ask a hair transplant surgeon about his own procedures, especially a reputable one such as yourself. I can't help myself but to ask...

What type of procedures were they? The new-standard methods of hair restoration have obviously changed over that time period. But what were the procedures that you had?

What were the sizes of the sessions as far as amount of grafts and how distributed? What density did it leave you with in these areas?

In your reply, you mentioned that you have absolutely no native hair on the top. I fear that is where I am headed as well. By that, what NW were you naturally destined to be if you did nothing? NW6/7? When you leaned in on one of the videos it appears that the crown area was not addressed all too much. Had you exhausted the available donor or just moved on...

It took me a little bit of courage to ask that stuff. From the perspective of someone on information overload and trying to do his due diligence of research before making such an important life changing decision, the feedback of every hair transplant patient is valuable, much more so coming from a reputable doctor.