FUE Aftercare

Quick question - Im due to undergo FUE with Doganay in October, Is it safe to wear beanies or baseball caps after the procedure? Also I play football semi pro, how long should I wait before playing again after the procedure?

Thanks!

Hi Muddy,

How long after the procedure? After the first 7-10 days, the grafts are anchored and you can really wear any type of hat you want. Immediately after the procedure? Maybe not, but it really depends upon how you wear the hat. If you can position it where it is resting on the front of your forehead and the back of the scalp (where the grafts were extracted) without touching the grafts, you will probably be okay. However, it's a bit risky with the newly implanted grafts.

Having said that, the clinic should provide detailed post-operative instructions that will answer this question and detail when you can return to physical activity. This is the advice I would follow! If you'd like to know ahead of the procedure, I'd recommend calling Dr. Doganay's clinic beforehand and asking.

Good luck.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Well I fly back to the UK the day after the procedure, say if get strange looks without a hat!

Following my procedure with Dr Reys in Belgium, I didn't wear any sort of hat or bandage. He said to me the best way for it to heal was for it to be out in the open and not covered up. I was out in public on holiday in the days post procedure and did not catch one person staring at my head the whole time. To be honest it's unlikely many people will even notice!

I would agree with Mickey, in that one month is probably a good idea. You are going to be heading the ball and may cop some contact to the grafts when you play so I would definitely not rush back too quickly.

Hats should be ok after 2 weeks. Beanies can get caught on scabs and grafts and can yank them out. Don't forget the scalp is still very raw after 1,000s of slits being made and the scabbing persists sometimes post 2-weeks and the pimples etc. One month is being overly cautious but it's your precious grafts!

Hats should be ok after 2 weeks. Beanies can get caught on scabs and grafts and can yank them out. Don't forget the scalp is still very raw after 1,000s of slits being made and the scabbing persists sometimes post 2-weeks and the pimples etc. One month is being overly cautious but it's your precious grafts!

I planned on doing the same. Would you say an adjustable cap would be okay to wear from the day after the procedure as I am also in Turkey for 2 weeks after, and I'll want to hide it from the sun.

• 2 years later...

A loosely fitted cap or hat is fine as long as it does not rub the grafts.

A loosely fitted bandana is also a good option.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Easy solution, just wear a bandana and then wear the beanie/baseball cap on top. The bandana will protect your grafts from being pulled and the beanie/cap will cover the bandana. Worked fine for me. Happy days!

Dr Bhatti FUE Oct 2014 3305 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/178931-my-fue-dr-tejinder-bhatti-oct-2014-a.html