FUT or FUE ?

One more thing...

Donor harvesting (whether via strip excision or FUE) is only one part of a hair transplant procedure. How grafts are stored outside of the body before placement and the actual placement process is just as vital as how follicular units are harvested.

Unfortunately, the above is often overlooked but is just as critical (if not more-so) in producing excellent yield.

So in addition to strip excision versus FUE (commonly referred to incorrectly as FUT versus FUE), it may be worthwhile to have a lively and healthy discussion regarding optimal handling of the grafts while they're outside of the body and placement.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You see me recommending a procedure that has almost double the advantages as disingenuous as a surgeon persuading a patient into a procedure he is wary of but that she is better at? oh how sinister of me!! You lost all credibility to me now.

Mickey,

I think it is important to point out that this is a list that you compiled. It was a very good list, but to choose one over the other based on the number of advantages does not make since. Some of them are inconsequential to some patients and some could be considered repetitive. I respect the research that you did. People will put different weights on different advantages and disadvantages and decide from there.

Augustya,

Unless you are in denial about your hair loss (which I have seen in the past) you surely sound like an FUE candidate to me.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Mickey,

I think it is important to point out that this is a list that you compiled. It was a very good list, but to choose one over the other based on the number of advantages does not make since. Some of them are inconsequential to some patients and some could be considered repetitive. I respect the research that you did. People will put different weights on different advantages and disadvantages and decide from there.

Augustya,

Unless you are in denial about your hair loss (which I have seen in the past) you surely sound like an FUE candidate to me.

Spanker, i really appreciate your posts and your good nature. It's people like you that i can have good discussions with on the subject. Some are inconsequential while some are quite drastic. Whether or not they minor is up to the individual. You wont see me begging someone not to go FUT. However to say some are repetitive... could you elaborate? Even via PM if you want. You can have a thin scar but with suture lines. Changes in hair caliber gradation and the changes in direction are two very different things. Lets not forget the allowances i made including the cost of FUE being a disadvantage even though there are surgeons who do it for the same price as the western fut docs. Not to mention the cost not being inherent in fue as it is dictated by demand and surgeon discretion. Also the shaving of the donor being a disadvantage was also minor but i put that there. I made allowances on both sides.

Again thanks for being cool and civil and for thinking my thread is straight up.

Well as it typically is now a days on this forum your thread has turned into a pissing match over what method is better and your questions are being ignored so I will help you out.

My first question to you is why you are considering a HT if you are not losing hair? When they are referring to yield they mean the percentage of grafts that are transplanted that actually grow. In general FUE has a lower yeild than FUT but can be negligible in the hands of the right surgeon or can be exacerbated by certain patient characteristics. If I am honest I am concerned as to why you want to have a procedure if you aren't suffering from hairloss, but in general if you are only looking for 500-1500 grafts I would recommend going the FUE route.

Now sit back and enjoy the shit show this thread is sure to turn into...

The man asked a specific question relating to fue or fut and you expect people to just say 'ahhh shux, they are both good?!". Why is it that when you state an opinion i don't claim you are anti-fue? It is obvious you have a problem with my pro-fue stance but you have never debunked anything i have said. Do you just dislike me spreading information that is valuable to a patient? If you think it is detrimental than explain why. Otherwise you accomplish very little and i have told you before that im open to discussion on whatever but you stick to merely complaining about my stance on things.

I will not be silenced one iota. Everytime someone says im anti-fut i will reiterate my same stance so more and more people can be informed. It is win-win for me and i receive no remuneration whatsoever, only the fulfilment that i have helped someone make an informed decision. That is worth more to me.

This forum member asked which method is best/better and i told him to check my links and then im the one accused of starting a pissing match? I know you didnt use the term but someone else started it with 'anti fut brigade'. Laughable.

The man asked a specific question relating to fue or fut and you expect people to just say 'ahhh shux, they are both good?!". Why is it that when you state an opinion i don't claim you are anti-fue? It is obvious you have a problem with my pro-fue stance but you have never debunked anything i have said. Do you just dislike me spreading information that is valuable to a patient? If you think it is detrimental than explain why. Otherwise you accomplish very little and i have told you before that im open to discussion on whatever but you stick to merely complaining about my stance on things.

I will not be silenced one iota. Everytime someone says im anti-fut i will reiterate my same stance so more and more people can be informed. It is win-win for me and i receive no remuneration whatsoever, only the fulfilment that i have helped someone make an informed decision. That is worth more to me.

This forum member asked which method is best/better and i told him to check my links and then im the one accused of starting a pissing match? I know you didnt use the term but someone else started it with 'anti fut brigade'. Laughable.

Never in my post did I mention or refer to you or insinuate that I was referring to you, that is your own guilty conscious. Get off your holier than now quest. You were justified in responding to the comment about the "fue brigade" as there are only maybe 2 or 3 posters that could apply to. As of late nearly every post ends up in a pissing match between FUE vs strip and you are always at the heart of it. The op was continually asking questions and you and the other thread posters ignored the questions to instead spend two pages to continue the pissing match, I simply answered the questions. I am in no way against FUE, I am against people who think strip has no up side. Over multiple procedures you will always be able to obtain more grafts via strip than FUE, point blank bottom line. Which means for certain people with advance balding strip procedures will always have their place until hair multiplication is a reality. From here on out if I don't refer to you in a quote or by name I am not talking about you so you can exclude me from your crusade.

Never in my post did I mention or refer to you or insinuate that I was referring to you, that is your own guilty conscious. Get off your holier than now quest. You were justified in responding to the comment about the "fue brigade" as there are only maybe 2 or 3 posters that could apply to. As of late nearly every post ends up in a pissing match between FUE vs strip and you are always at the heart of it. The op was continually asking questions and you and the other thread posters ignored the questions to instead spend two pages to continue the pissing match, I simply answered the questions. I am in no way against FUE, I am against people who think strip has no up side. Over multiple procedures you will always be able to obtain more grafts via strip than FUE, point blank bottom line. Which means for certain people with advance balding strip procedures will always have their place until hair multiplication is a reality. From here on out if I don't refer to you in a quote or by name I am not talking about you so you can exclude me from your crusade.

Understood and apologise for the assumption. I did feel i had to respond to those that alluded heavily that i was the anti-fut brigade and maybe thats true, im fine with that label. But to just label me and not be civil or to not discuss things is not right. I always try to reply in a civil manner and am always cool with discussion. I did initially attempt to help the op but had to respond to the accusations laid on me(as you mentioned).

I do accept my responsibilty for MY part of this undertaking and i shouldnt have assumed you were talking about me specifically and exclusively. If most of my posts are about fue and fut it is because thats where my interest lies. I dont go into rogaine threads and say 'fue is better!' But if someone asks about the two i am going to atate my opinion. If that part bothers you than that is on you.

Understood and apologise for the assumption. I did feel i had to respond to those that alluded heavily that i was the anti-fut brigade and maybe thats true, im fine with that label. But to just label me and not be civil or to not discuss things is not right. I always try to reply in a civil manner and am always cool with discussion. I did initially attempt to help the op but had to respond to the accusations laid on me(as you mentioned).

I do accept my responsibilty for MY part of this undertaking and i shouldnt have assumed you were talking about me specifically and exclusively. If most of my posts are about fue and fut it is because thats where my interest lies. I dont go into rogaine threads and say 'fue is better!' But if someone asks about the two i am going to atate my opinion. If that part bothers you than that is on you.

I have no problem with you, I don't always agree with you, but I have no problem with you. Just know that I am not a passive aggressive person, not in my real life and definitely not on an anonymous internet forum, so if I have a problem with you or your comments I will not make a vague reference to you I will directly call you out. You definitly do more good than harm on here and I appreciate your contribution, but lately any time this topic gets brought up it does turn into a fight, whether it is you who instigate it or not, I was just simply making an observation because it is very clear.

Well as it typically is now a days on this forum your thread has turned into a pissing match over what method is better and your questions are being ignored so I will help you out.

lol :P as somebody just said be ready for a Backlash from the Anti-FUE Brigade !!

My first question to you is why you are considering a HT if you are not losing hair? ...

I dont have a hair loss problem, But I have very deep gone inside forehead which shows a Forehead as if there is no Hair in the extreme corners of my Forehead. so I am trying to do a Patch Work kind of thing there. Just to Marginally cover the empty areas of my Forehead.

When they are referring to yield they mean the percentage of grafts that are transplanted that actually grow. In general FUE has a lower yeild than FUT but can be negligible in the hands of the right surgeon or can be exacerbated by certain patient characteristics.

Goodness Gracious me this can get scary, so that means If I walk out from a Surgeons Clinic after getting the FUE HT Procedure done, thinking that I may have hair there and hair will grow there it may actually happen that the hair will never grow there ?? I can be duped that way !! I pay for it and what if never grows ??

lol :P as somebody just said be ready for a Backlash from the Anti-FUE Brigade !!

I dont have a hair loss problem, But I have very deep gone inside forehead which shows a Forehead as if there is no Hair in the extreme corners of my Forehead. so I am trying to do a Patch Work kind of thing there. Just to Marginally cover the empty areas of my Forehead.

Goodness Gracious me this can get scary, so that means If I walk out from a Surgeons Clinic after getting the FUE HT Procedure done, thinking that I may have hair there and hair will grow there it may actually happen that the hair will never grow there ?? I can be duped that way !! I pay for it and what if never grows ??

I didn't mean to scare you as long as you go to a reputable clinic, like most recommended here the yield will not be an issue. All I am saying that all things equal FUE has a slightly lower yield than strip due to the nature of blind extraction but it is only a few percentage points in the most capable hands. If you would be willing to post some pictures of just your hair (you can omit any distinguishing features) it would be very helpful in determining if you are a canidate for HT. Unethical clinics routinely operate on people who are not candidates and it would be in your best interest to post pics so we could determine if a HT is in your best interest.

I have no problem with you, I don't always agree with you, but I have no problem with you. Just know that I am not a passive aggressive person, not in my real life and definitely not on an anonymous internet forum, so if I have a problem with you or your comments I will not make a vague reference to you I will directly call you out. You definitly do more good than harm on here and I appreciate your contribution, but lately any time this topic gets brought up it does turn into a fight, whether it is you who instigate it or not, I was just simply making an observation because it is very clear.

Understood and appreciated. Thanks.

For Short term satisfaction I would go for FUT

For long term satisfaction I would go for FUE

I know that FUT yields better and allows you to get more grafts and bla bla...

With FUE, you wouldn't worry about a scar especially when you cant keep the race with hair loss because of donor or financial issues.You can buzz your head and look normal without a stupid linear scar.

We are in 2013, most of strip clinics could not compete the HT market so they started to invest in FUE. FUE now is developed and the yield is above 95% with some remarkable surgeons like Bisanga and Erdogan, etc...

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

oh ok sorry I didn't connect the screen names. I would say that although you said you have always had that hairline (and i'll take your word) it does look like your hairline is receding but without seeing pics from you at a young age I'll take your word. I don't remember but I think you said in the other thread that you are in your thirties, I think you could get a HT to lower you hairline and I would recommend looking into FUE. Where are you located? You might have to travel to get a good doc to do the procedure.

oh ok sorry I didn't connect the screen names. I would say that although you said you have always had that hairline (and i'll take your word) it does look like your hairline is receding but without seeing pics from you at a young age I'll take your word. I don't remember but I think you said in the other thread that you are in your thirties, I think you could get a HT to lower you hairline and I would recommend looking into FUE. Where are you located? You might have to travel to get a good doc to do the procedure.

Yep I am in my Late thirties, 37 to be Precise. I know people keep telling me and asking this, that do you have a receding hairline and I am so freakin tired of explaining people that, this is how it has been ever since I remember. I do not remember myself having any other hairline than this. I mean, c'mon is there anything embarassing to not to admit it. Who else a better Judge than me myself to know what it was earlier and what it is right now. I was born that way. (Gene Pool)

So frankly speaking with the Cost of FUE it does make me think, do I need this ? I mean had I had a hairloss, Baldness Problem that would have been a different thing. But I am thankfully not from the group of people who very badly need it. But then lately I have started feeling I wish I had some hair there. More from a Aesthetic point of view, More to look good, enhance my look.

Yes It is not compulsion for me to get it done. But I have a desire to look good. So I am confused let me put it that way :)

well I would say that if you really want to do it then go for it. But if you are cool the way you are then leave it be. It is really up to you. Most people who do have MPB with much more receded hair lines get HT's every day so I would say you are definitely a candidate, it just all depends on if it is important enough to you. Do you have any doctors in mind?

well I would say that if you really want to do it then go for it. But if you are cool the way you are then leave it be. It is really up to you. Most people who do have MPB with much more receded hair lines get HT's every day so I would say you are definitely a candidate, it just all depends on if it is important enough to you. Do you have any doctors in mind?

Ok, I am in India and A doctor that I have in mind, His name is Forbidden here...Legal Issues here. But I have met him offline. Sounds good, But only problem is he says Graft Extraction and Planting will be done by my Technicians who have been doing this since last 8 years and are a part of a team with me. Making the Slits (That is giving the hair direction) will be done by me is that a Ok thing to get in ? Any suggestions on that ?

Ok, I am in India and A doctor that I have in mind, His name is Forbidden here...Legal Issues here. But I have met him offline. Sounds good, But only problem is he says Graft Extraction and Planting will be done by my Technicians who have been doing this since last 8 years and are a part of a team with me. Making the Slits (That is giving the hair direction) will be done by me is that a Ok thing to get in ? Any suggestions on that ?

Dr Feriduni is very highly regarded, and I believe his clinic operates in a very similar fashion. I guess it comes down to personal preference in what you are truly comfortable with. Initially the thought of this didn't sit well with me (I like the idea of my surgeon doing at least 2 things 1. punching the grafts in the donor site and 2.making the slits/incisions in the recipient site), but essentially I think a clinic should be judged on their results.

The actual placement of grafts is largely done but techs, and this is common is many of the top clinics. The doc usually oversees this, and may place some himself, but usually isn't expected.

If you are happy that the clinic is producing world class results on a very regular basis, I don't see the problem.

2,200 FUE + PRP with Dr Bisanga - BHR Clinic, 22-23 August 2013 - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171950-my-fue-2-200-prp-dr-bisanga-bhr-clinic.html

Current Regimen:

- Rogaine 5% Foam 2x daily

- Jasons Restorative Biotin Shampoo 2x daily / Nizoral 2% 2x weekly

- Nettle Root 500mg, MSM 1500mg, Biotin 5mg, Multi Vit, Omega 3

Spanker, i really appreciate your posts and your good nature. It's people like you that i can have good discussions with on the subject. Some are inconsequential while some are quite drastic. Whether or not they minor is up to the individual. You wont see me begging someone not to go FUT. However to say some are repetitive... could you elaborate? Even via PM if you want. You can have a thin scar but with suture lines. Changes in hair caliber gradation and the changes in direction are two very different things. Lets not forget the allowances i made including the cost of FUE being a disadvantage even though there are surgeons who do it for the same price as the western fut docs. Not to mention the cost not being inherent in fue as it is dictated by demand and surgeon discretion. Also the shaving of the donor being a disadvantage was also minor but i put that there. I made allowances on both sides.

Again thanks for being cool and civil and for thinking my thread is straight up.

Mickey,

I would say that Retains donor growth patterns/swirls/direction/angle and

Retains natural hair shaft diameter gradation/groupings and the irregularity that trycophytic closure all belong in the same category. All of this deals with the unnaturalness that can occur at the seam of the incision, the direction of hair being different, etc. (that is 3 into 1)

Also no linear scar and no train track effect and able to wear you hair shorter and no potential for scar stretching are really all about the same thing, the appearance of the scar, and I think these could be under one grouping. (that is 4).

Also, I would add that the subsequent FUE procedures can be more difficult because of underlying scar tissue and FUE overall is a little harder on the grafts than being cut on the microscope. This has effected yield in the past but we are seeing it less and less (with the best doctors).

Basically, it is all about who writes what you wrote down. The information is correct, but I don't think that the number of items listed is pertinent at all.

Cheers.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Mickey,

I would say that Retains donor growth patterns/swirls/direction/angle and

Retains natural hair shaft diameter gradation/groupings and the irregularity that trycophytic closure all belong in the same category. All of this deals with the unnaturalness that can occur at the seam of the incision, the direction of hair being different, etc. (that is 3 into 1)

Also no linear scar and no train track effect and able to wear you hair shorter and no potential for scar stretching are really all about the same thing, the appearance of the scar, and I think these could be under one grouping. (that is 4).

Also, I would add that the subsequent FUE procedures can be more difficult because of underlying scar tissue and FUE overall is a little harder on the grafts than being cut on the microscope. This has effected yield in the past but we are seeing it less and less (with the best doctors).

Basically, it is all about who writes what you wrote down. The information is correct, but I don't think that the number of items listed is pertinent at all.

Cheers.

You make some fair points but I also made allowances for the disadvantage list like "Less tissue surrounding the graft" and "Potential higher transection" could be considered the same. I also added the need to shave the donor as a disadvantage where FUT also compromises some donor hair length too but I didn't mention that. I turned down a suggestion that FUE can actually obtain more hair via body-hair transplantation too. In reality, BHT-FUE can obtain more than FUT ever could but I choose to make a restriction in that case. I settled for the middle ground

In regards to no linear scar and no train track effect and able to wear you hair shorter and no potential for scar stretching are really all about the same thing, they are not mutual to eachother though, same as the hair gradation. You can have a thin scar but with suture marks. You can have suture marks and a wide scar.

I feel that each factor should be properly shown so the viewer actually notices, rather than skims through. Even if I stripped it down, the ratios would be the same or very slightly different. I really wanted a comprehensive list. Thanks for replying in a good manner by the way.

I did it in one earlier Thread, I will do it again...

You would not need too many grafts to level out the hairline, depending on if your go to a conservative surgeon or not etc. Just beware that you have alot of native hair that you could lose in the future but for 37 you have a good head of hair I would say with little or no sign of miniaturization. Really think about if you want to undergo a procedure though, if it means alot to you, then by all means, but if you aren't too fussed I say go without.

You would not need too many grafts to level out the hairline, depending on if your go to a conservative surgeon or not etc. Just beware that you have alot of native hair that you could lose in the future but for 37 you have a good head of hair I would say with little or no sign of miniaturization. Really think about if you want to undergo a procedure though, if it means alot to you, then by all means, but if you aren't too fussed I say go without.

I have got an estimate of 500 Grafts for this marginal hairline adjustment that we are talking about, do you guys think this should be enough to address the concern that I have guys ?

If you want the new hairline to be as low as the widow's peak(not suggesting this) you will need quite a bit more than 500 grafts I would think to achieve a good density.