Worried about donor area density

I'm going to have a procedure with H&W for 4000 grafts, but I'm worried about my donor area density. The hair looks really thin to me and I can see my scalp. What do you guys think? I've attached some pics that I took with a flash to better see what I mean. Will I get bad results? I haven't seen any before and after pics of people with this kind of hair. I'm afraid that I won't be a good candidate for a hair transplant.

20130323_142255.jpg.9f1599c5302cc7612af0965b62d1ac9d.jpg

20130323_142329.jpg.88f2cc68b4a06ff4a1d83d5c455ae20a.jpg

I want to help, but it looks like diffused hair loss, at a NW5A, Not my area where I have confidence in. Some other members better familiar with defuse loss will chime in.

However, H/W is the only docs I would consider for such a big job. I ask you to meet with H/W or a couple of local HT doc in person before you proceed.

You need to get a in-person look at your hair loss and donor area. Make a trip out to visit H/W just for a consultation only. Information trip only and listen to what they have to say about your hairloss now, and what your hairloss will look like in 10 years.

4000 grafts is a big $$ job for any clinic, so I would expect them but the sales pressure hard. But you need to take your time, Compare what the clinics say to the advice of what our members say. Let's work to see if we can sync up.

However, I think 4k with your current head of hair, will give you a a smile on your face. Just don't blow a bunch of grafts trying to move your hair line down, or going to wide across.

I think you have very limited donor so this HT has to be done right. Be honest with what you want, tell us what you hope to end up after a 4k grafts even if you think its wishful thinking, so we can make sure know what to expect.

I am concerned with the way the back looks thin (could be the flash) how easily a strip scar on you would show up.

Also lets look at SMP! 4k plus SMP, you could wear that hair short and look good.

Also! have you buzzed your hair down yet? If not why not? You need to look at that guy in the mirror with a buzzed down head. This potentially could save you soooooo much agony, and if you any confidence problems, resolve a slew of them.

Edited by nativeremdies

I first sent photos to H&W a year ago, but I don't remember how they looked like. I emailed them again with these photos to see what they say. My appointment isn't until May 21st and they are coming down to my area in april, so I will make it a point to get an in person consultation.

My expectations are not to have rock star hair or anything of that sort. I've been wearing a hat for years now and everyone knows why. At this point I want something that looks decent enough and I think I could ease myself into accepting going bald or hopefully something in the future will come up for MPB. I just want a couple of years of "ok" hair. I don't look good with a bald head because the shape of my head is not ideal. Which, is why SMP won't work for me either.

Here are some pics without the flash.

20130323_170245.jpg.236837f6441a14e916bde4f380644536.jpg

20130323_170106.jpg.7461ae49f03b25983a79c475781718d2.jpg

You used a flash in the first set of pics which make the hair look worse. You notice how it looks better in the last set? I can tell there is no flash there. However your hair does look a bit thin in the donor. This is all part of the risk of HT. The donor thins too especially when men get into their 60's or 70's. Propecia or dutasteride will help the donor too, slowing down the miniaturization. It's actually the only reason I still take dutasteride - to maintain my donor.

Yeah I used the flash intentionally to show how it covers the scalp. I don't know the proper way to take a photo for this kind of thing. For the second set, I was standing under the light in my room, which is not too bright. I have been taking propecia for a couple years now. I never even heard of dutasteride. I am 28 years old and my hair has been like this for a while now since I think propecia has slowed it down.

Shapiro has great example of how to take a photo.

And because you have diffused thin, Shapiro is a great clinic to talk with. Might be a better choice then Wong.

Take the photo's per the instructions. Stop being a pussy and cropping your photos to conceal 90% of your identity. It's not helping anyone.

5_PHOTO_INSTRUCTIONS.pdf

I can't open download that pdf for some reason. I am not cropping the pictures lol. I was just traying to get a close up of the hair. If some one knows me and sees those pics they will know its me, so there is no point in hiding my face. I don't mind and I'll put some up if it helps.

Your donor looks pretty thin. I would suggest an in-person consult. You may be better off shaving down and forgetting about hair and saving your money. I know you don't like hearing that, but it honestly may be the best advice you will receive. Some people just are not candidates.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Man that is devastating to me. Im afraid I wont have confidence anymore. This hair loss has ruined my life. I dont know if I can handle it. I look funny with a shaven down head.

You MAY be a candidate, but you really need to see a reputable doctor and ask them.

While you may think you look funny for the first few days, I would suggest the "30 day challenge." Try shaving fro 30 days and then see how you feel about it. I assure you there will be something liberating about it. I have a bad scalp condition that is not conducive to shaving, or that is what I would have done. I like the shaved look.

I promise you that low confidence is much worse that a shaved head as far as attracting other people.

Anyway, I am not trying to talk you out of it, I am just saying that if you are not a candidate, you still have options. What would be worse is to get a transplant and then see that you can't meet your expectations with your donor and then start shaving with scars (be it fue or fut).

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I am going to get a consult. Ever since I started thinning ive been wearing a cap and its been several years. Ive been planning for a transplant so I can find the confidence to go outside without one. At this point I just want to turn back time a few years and ease my way into a balding head. The last time my friends and family saw me without a hat I had hair. I dug myself into a bad self conscious hole.

Honestly, you don't look bad at all the way you are. You seem to have a good shaped head and not a high forehead your eyebrows are thick t frame your face.....I am the opposite of all that LOL

Thanks for the kind words but those pictures are, believe it or not, flattering haha. Ive been told i look like Freddy Kreuger with a shaved head, so its bothering for me to think of myself without hair. Ive been a hermit for about 5+ years and Im about to go insane.

• 4 weeks later...

On a good note. I don't think your balding looks bad. If you were to keep your hair shaved, I think it would look good. I'm saying this honestly.

Also, stop wearing a cap. It won't give you any real advantage. I know it's tempting, but the best thing to do is to embrace it and to learn to not focus on it, the hat only hides issues you know now especially that you will have to get over: without a hair transplant, at best you can do it stall it but the loss is inevitable.

You have the outline of a decent hairline that's just slightly ruptured, and the diffuse balding suggests you may be a good candidate for meds.

Get on the minoxidil in addition to the propecia and see where you are in 6 months to a year.

After a year or so you may not need as many as 4000 grafts. In fact, you might not need an HT at all.

Regimen:

Finasteride (1.25mg): Daily.

Minoxidil (5%): Twice Daily.

Super Biotin (5000mcg) Vitamin Supplement; Daily

Silica Complex; Daily

I am on propecia and I met with the hasson and wong consultant. He suggested I not do the ht because the hair was too diffused and thinning. I sadly cannot do the ht. Im going to try buzzing it and see how it goes. Im really bummed out. I just hope Im not weird looking.

sorry to hear that mate.

I hope you catch a break and find a satisfying solution.

All the best.

Regimen:

Finasteride (1.25mg): Daily.

Minoxidil (5%): Twice Daily.

Super Biotin (5000mcg) Vitamin Supplement; Daily

Silica Complex; Daily

Man you got a greatly shaped scalp and good jawline that would be accentuated if you shaved down. With your level of loss and the sparse donor, the linear scar will prevent you from shaving down past a grade 3. It is not known if your diffuse thinning will continue and that can cause real problems in the donor(scar showing) and recipient(loss of grafts over time due to being taken from the diffusing area). I would suggest shaving down and getting ripped. The self confidence from that will pay dividends. I often feel that I lacked true self confidence in myself by undergoing a procedure and feel shameful that I did it because to actually shave it off and deal with it is way of saying "F^$k you" to the world! This is just my opinion though as I readily acknowledge that many have had their self esteem brought back due to successful HTs.