Body Hair FUE NW6 Patient After Chemo Therapy, BHR Clinic - Dr. Bisanga

Our patient initially came to us in 2007, he was a NW6/7 candidate with average scalp donor qualities and a larger than average surface area to cover; we made an initial assessment of 2 procedures to give maximum coverage, both FUT and scalp FUE combined. The first procedure was approx. 4500 FUT and 1000 FUE; due to the surface area this covered from hair line, frontal third and slightly into the mid-section.

Unfortunately our patient was diagnosed with cancer shortly after his first procedure and had to undergo chemo therapy; this was obviously a telling time for him and he returned to us 8 months post HT op and after the therapy for an assessment.

It was assessed that the HT was growing with even coverage, although he was 8 months post op due to the chemo therapy he had growth was more like 4-5 months post op; also the donor hair was showing signs of miniaturisation so the recommendation was for he to wait at least a further year before any further surgery due to potential healing and trauma caused by the chemo reducing the yield and quality of growth.

With some understanding after beating cancer our patient wanted to have some normality in his life, although we suggested to wait he underwent a further procedure with another clinic , 3000-4000 grafts FUT, the result unfortunately was that the scalp donor miniaturised and lost density and the regrowth of the HT hair was weaker and miniaturised compared to the first procedure. This resulted in the scalp donor being depleted, the trauma caused massive miniaturisation to the extent it was in areas thinner than the recipient, the linear scar was visible as the hair would not grow over to conceal and areas of the recipient that had been treated were very thin in coverage or growth.

GOAL: Our patient's goal was/is to achieve maximum coverage using Body Hair, going relatively slow to ensure best yield, to start from behind the first BHR procedure and rebuild the areas that have receded and those transplanted but resulted in weak growth. The first BH procedure was in January 2011, then August and November, firstly working to rebuild the hump behind the frontal third that connects the recipient to the sides then working back further each session.

From the pictures you can see the evolution from Pre -op, to the results of Post ops and after Chemo Therapy, to Beard Hair Repair; this is on-going and we will update future ops as and when he proceeds with the goal to cover the recipient from hair line to crown, keeping the hair short so the hair blends well with his now donor area and at the same time minimise the look of the linear scar by adding hair to it.

PRE OP

BEFOREANYSURGERYNW67CANDIDATE.jpg

PLANNINGDESIGNFOR1STPROCEDUREFUTFUE.jpg

APPROX. 3 YRS after 1st BHR ROCEDURE, 2.5 yrs AFTER CHEMO THERAPY & A 2nd PROCEDURE AT ANOTHER CLINIC

COLLAGEOF1STBHRAND2NDOPBYANOTHERCLINIC.jpg

POST OP JANUARY 2011, START OF BHFUE REVERSAL.

JAN2011POSTOPPLACEMENT.jpg

7MONTHSPOSTOP1STBHFUEAugust2011.jpg

APPROX1000BEARDFUECONTINUEDREPAIRAFTERCHEMOTHERAPYOAHIGHNWSCALEPATIENT.jpg

November112.jpg

November111.jpg

November113BEARDHEALING.jpg

BEFORETONOVEMBER2011.jpg

UPDATE

Approximately1000BeardHairFUEcirca4000intotaltodatetocontinuerestorationfrommidsectiontohiscrownBHRClinicBrussels.jpg

UPDATE 2013

Patient came back for another session of body hair.

1050 grafts placed and an exact split of 50 percent of each (Chest & beard).

Chest 525, beard grafts 525

Beard healing

tn_IMG_0028.jpg

tn_IMG_0015.jpg

tn_IMG_0017.jpg

tn_IMG_0015.jpg

tn_IMG_0011.jpg

tn_IMG_0010.jpg

Outside photo

tn_IMG_0019.jpg

tn_IMG_0028.jpg

Indoors photos

tn_IMG_0002.jpg

tn_IMG_0022.jpg

tn_IMG_0008.jpg

tn_IMG_0001.jpg

tn_IMG_0007.jpg

Beard Extraction

tn_IMG_0033.jpg

Chest Extraction

tn_IMG_0034.jpg

tn_IMG_0035.jpg

Placement

tn_IMG_0031.jpg

tn_IMG_0030.jpg

tn_IMG_0029.jpg

We will update accordingly from the last session of March 2013 as and when possible.

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

Dr. Christian Bisanga is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

Wow, this patient has certainly been through the ringer. Glad to hear he beat cancer, and, it looks like MPB, too. Nice job!

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Great documentation SL.

I bet hair loss was the least of his worries but his hair short looks really good.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

First and foremost I pray to God or whatever anyone believes in that this poor guy is done going through the "ringer".... Hes had a very tough road o get were he is today...

Now I think these results ARE AMAZING!!!!!!! The guy is and this type of work gives hope to all that are on their way to the lonely road of a N 6-7..... I think cases like these are the most impressive results.

WOW, PROMISING, INSPIRING.... B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L...........

You only live once...

A testament to current day FUE and bodyhair transplantation via FUE. One can only imagine the result had the patient went to Bisanga first and had not of been diagnosed with cancer. I really feel for this patient :( This man has come a long way. Great work on a very difficult and delicate case.

Many thanks for the comments.

I can say this guy even though as said has really been through a lot, he is always smiling and cheerful and a really kind positive person.

It puts hair into perspective really when you face other illness and I am happy if we can improve his life even if only by a small degree.

We will see him again and he is already calling for the next op but we need to slow him down to be honest and let nature take its course and then go from there step by step and will update again when we see him.

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

sl at what point does Dr. Bisanga stop with FUE usually? At Norwood 4?I know you are an exceptional case but in general at what point does he recommend FUT instead of FUE and why?

interesting to see beard hairs taken from above the jaw line. no noticable scaring tho. what a complex case. dude went from being as bald as one can be to essentially having a full head of hair. amazing work!

Hi Mickey

Ironically this patient was deemed a Strip candidate and indeed what we first performed on him prior to the cancer issue.

When a patient has more advanced loss and asks for FUE only then the doctor invariably will ask to see them in the flesh so we can see if their goals can be met.

FUE takes from density so this is a key issue to see how much the donor can give safely. Clinics will vary in their protocols with regards to what can be taken percentage wise. Doctor Bisanga feels around 30 percent can be taken and safely over several surgeries.

So, in essence we see what is possible with FUE alone and if this will meet their goals, be it partial or full restoration. If we feel it will not be able to attain to what they are looking for then we need to be open to other options, i.e. Strip, Strip/FUE or indeed body hair also in the mix.

At times there will need to be a compromise either on technique or coverage attainable, or simply do nothing if we feel we cannot achieve with FUE the desired result.

Some will have advanced loss and be happy with partial coverage so that in itself doesn't exclude FUE as the sole technique, so the loss and goals are evaluated before a Strip is recommended.

We see an increasing number of patients are also more open to body hair. My own case I had exceptional density but still needed to tap onto my beard in order to further my coverage and cases like this one also show what can be achieved.

One thing that advanced loss guys have to be prepared for is the time, money and a number of surgeries needed to get where they want to go. It is a marathon and not a sprint as such.

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

Great case! Truly wish this gentleman the best of luck.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.