Donor shock loss - recovery

Hi all,

So I had a HT (FUE, 2093 grafts) just over 3 weeks ago and I have suffered from shock loss on the left side. The transplanted area is healing nicely but as you can see from the photos the shock loss is pretty obvious. I'm actually not bothered at all about being seen in public with regards the recipient area (probably because not all the hairs have shed yet!) but I am very conscious of the shock loss, especially as concealers don't seem to be effective in the back with very short hair. For those that have had a similar experience, roughly how long does it take for the hair to grow back? I have been advised that it takes up to 3 months.

Also as its only been 3 weeks since the op can the shock loss get worse or is this as bad as it gets? I would really appreciate any advice as its getting me down a little. I realise it will grow back and it will all be worth it but 3 months seems a long way away!!

5b32d73dc87e1_Shockloss.jpg.68b7075ccf4e643a10204cfbd63f749a.jpg

5b32d73dd5de3_Shockloss2.jpg.deb09a91ea78e9a9da0b16ed2ffd9f5e.jpg

Hey champ, my shockloss in the recipient took 4-5 months to return completely but was visually acceptable by the 3rd month. I did sustain permanent shockloss to the recipient but that's because my surgeon is an incompetent fool. You should be totally fine but I can understand why you are down. Unfortunately temporary shockloss can often occur and is unforeseeable. Hang in there buddy. You choose one of the very best FUE doctors in the world.

Hi Mickey, cheers for the reply. I suppose its just matter of time I suppose. I also seem to have some shock loss right beside the recipient area too. How is my luck?! Just have to try and get over it and bide my time. My social life is taking a beating - another good few wkds at home alone ahead. I should focus on how good it will be in a few months instead though.

Hi Mickey, cheers for the reply. I suppose its just matter of time I suppose. I also seem to have some shock loss right beside the recipient area too. How is my luck?! Just have to try and get over it and bide my time. My social life is taking a beating - another good few wkds at home alone ahead. I should focus on how good it will be in a few months instead though.

My social life has been in the toilet for 12 months and counting as a result of my botched surgery lol. The ugly duckling stage sucks and is unavoidable sadly. You most definitely will have a stellar result man, Bisanga is amazing with FUE. All this will feel like a split second once you are off enjoying your hair buddy.

Hi Stublu

As per phone call, some are more prone than others and this side was day 2 and you said probably had more injections there than the right side and some are more sensitive to pain on day 2 so it can then mean more injections and more risk of shock loss and therefore why on this side.

Minox once a day should help and should be on the regrowth soon and we will keep in touch but expect it to come back into life soon there and also in recipient area.

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

Dr. Christian Bisanga is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

Cheers guys. Really appreciate the call Steve and spex those photos really help. Looks very similar to my shock loss and great to see it all came back within a relatively short time.

I'll make sure to update this thread just so others can see the impact of shock loss. I read about it but obviously didn't think it would happen to me. I'm sure it will all be fine as you guys have said. Im on minox, msm and biotin so hopefully they will help speed up the recovery.

Wow Spex I didn't realise you had shockloss like that.

You have been through the Mill with hair transplants.

The hair will come back Stublue don't worry- just be patient.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Hi

I had shock after my fue procedure too,it was very

Stressful until my wife applied eye shadow to the area

It completely disguised it.It took around 5 months to fully

Return but by that point my recip was growing and I soon forgot

About it.

Good luck

Aj

Hey guys,

Thanks again for all the replies and advice. Really appreciate it. Just thought I would give a quick update. I decided to shave the back and sides to help hide the shock loss and it has done the job nicely as you can see from the photos. I have a bit of a 2 toner but I think it looks fine. So I am far more confident with the loss now and will continue to shave the back and sides until I see some recovery. There is still a small bit of redness in the donor area but its only really noticeable if its examined very closely under bright light so I am not concerned. Went for a few drinks last night and nobody noticed a thing. So that's it for now but I will update when I start to see some recovery.

WP_000540.jpg.7e7ef4a42d74be040d2851b186f7b18d.jpg

WP_000591.jpg.c5ea5153128a290e27e1dbd0be07fd97.jpg

• Thanks 1

Hey there,

Try not worry, you'll have seen the worse of it. I have had several FUE procedures and after one of them i had pretty bad shock loss.

( see pics )

Don't worry - It will all come back. Get on MSM, Biotin and possibly apply minoxidil to the area if already use minox ( thats what i did )

I hope this helps:cool:

Best

S

I swear by biotin, and it is inexpensive.

600 FUE - 12/07 - Performed by Dr. Umar of Redondo Beach, CA

*****300 leg hair FUE implanted 7/12 to the eyebrows - 150 each eyebrow. Performed by Dr. Umar.

• 8 months later...
Hi dear friend '

Where can I get biotin ,?

what strength should I get ?

how much should everyda?

should i take anything else ?

I'm.desperarate , I have shock on one side after

fut .

Thanks very much

Dm

I take 4 1000 mcg tablets. You can buy biotin anywhere. The cheapest you buy them at the supermarket, online, etc. Target sells them cheap. I buy mine at Kaiser hospital cheap, but you have to be a member to buy them there.

Good luck brother,

Atticus

600 FUE - 12/07 - Performed by Dr. Umar of Redondo Beach, CA

*****300 leg hair FUE implanted 7/12 to the eyebrows - 150 each eyebrow. Performed by Dr. Umar.

• 1 month later...

Hey truelover, my shock loss has all returned thankfully. Im not gonna lie though, it took the guts of 5 months or so. I think it was particularly slow for me though by all accounts. I think in general it tends to all come back within 3 months or so. I know its a real pain in the ass but it will all be worth it. Just keep your hair very short so its not so that noticeable. Just hang in there.

• Thanks 2

• 1 year later...

I am one month post op n also suffering from severe shockloss in the fourth week intensity of loss seems quiet slow, so be patient n wait.. I hv one query also actually i am a smoker and was unable to quit pre or post op now as far as healing goes i healed quiet well, will this thing have any adverse effects on yeild, is there some one who smoked and underwent surgery mine was fue of 4000 grafts

• 9 months later...

This thread really changed how i felt. I too have shock loss behind my ear on one side (isn't this where everyone seems to have it?) and I was terrified to see this one bald patch and thought something was really wrong. I'm 2 months post op now. After reading this post I feel assured that its nothing to worry about. Thanks. I have attached my pic.

userimage-1506903.jpeg.ebb95337e32bb2433b8ae2046233e4b1.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Once the shock occurs, it takes at least 3 months for those shocked follicles to rest before they enter a new growth phase. This is why it takes 5 months or so to start seeing the new growth produce any meaningful visual coverage.

And if it's possible to shave down the shocked area, it's harder to tell what's missing because the contrast is reduced.

Once the shock occurs (usually 3-5 weeks post-op), it's pretty much over.

Smoking should not have any major negative impact on the procedure unless you're smoking 5-6 packs per day...:eek:

I smoked before and after all 4 of my procedures but then I ended up with terminal stage lung cancer in 2009 and lost my right lung.

Obviously I survived it against all odds but believe me, I quit on a dime after smoking for 37 years!

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 10 months later...
Once the shock occurs, it takes at least 3 months for those shocked follicles to rest before they enter a new growth phase. This is why it takes 5 months or so to start seeing the new growth produce any meaningful visual coverage.

And if it's possible to shave down the shocked area, it's harder to tell what's missing because the contrast is reduced.

Once the shock occurs (usually 3-5 weeks post-op), it's pretty much over.

Smoking should not have any major negative impact on the procedure unless you're smoking 5-6 packs per day...:eek:

I smoked before and after all 4 of my procedures but then I ended up with terminal stage lung cancer in 2009 and lost my right lung.

Obviously I survived it against all odds but believe me, I quit on a dime after smoking for 37 years!

Hey mate I'm really sorry you had to go through the horrors of cancer and here we are all having a melt down because of shock loss. I'm glad you got through it though and quit smoking which I know from experience is another battle in it's self.

I am 6 weeks out and have really bad shock loss from fue. reading this thread really made me feel a hole lot better. I have been at home for 6 weeks through Christmas New Years so many events and have gone into depression mode. I am actually suffering from bad anxiety because of this shock loss.

I wanted to ask you when did you actually start to see a difference in your donor area? Not when it was completely covered up but when you seen some or little growth? I'm just waiting for any sign ATM to give me any hope of my shock loss recovering.

Thanks

Hey there,

Try not worry, you'll have seen the worse of it. I have had several FUE procedures and after one of them i had pretty bad shock loss.

( see pics )

Don't worry - It will all come back. Get on MSM, Biotin and possibly apply minoxidil to the area if already use minox ( thats what i did )

I hope this helps:cool:

Best

S

Hey Spex, I'm already taking biotin 1200 mcg a day but was wondering. I don't use minoxidil, do you think I should start it only on the patchy donor area, Then stop after? One more thing, did you or anyone feel as though they were always hungry when taking biotin? I eat so much but always end up still feeling hungry!

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by Sydaus

Hello sydaus,

The grand majority of patients suffer from shock loss so ensure that you do not make this issue bigger than it actually is. Some shock loss takes longer than others depending on the patient and circumstances. Listen to gillenator. He talks from extensive experience and is giving you valuable help. Keep taking the biotin, that is a good thing. Take it easy. Good luck!

Hello sydaus,

The grand majority of patients suffer from shock loss so ensure that you do not make this issue bigger than it actually is. Some shock loss takes longer than others depending on the patient and circumstances. Listen to gillenator. He talks from extensive experience and is giving you valuable help. Keep taking the biotin, that is a good thing. Take it easy. Good luck!

Hey mate, thanks for the advice I really appreciate it. I know shock loss is very common in the recepient area however have. It seem much info about the donor area. I seen a couple of posts of having significant shock loss above ears and that's what I have two bald patches above my left ear.

I know it will most probably grow back but it's always that slightest doubt that gets the better of you. Any how, i will keep everyone posted with my progress hopefully with good news in a couple more months.

I agree and think it will grow back and fill in...it's just going to take a little time and patience...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 1 year later...

A sign of relief reading this thread. Look at my Artas FUE shock loss in donor area starts at day 12 and continue until day 16. This is day 34 pictures after I did a trimming last night to make things look less contrast. Suffering because of what reason I exactly do not know the root cause of this shock loss. Not appling minoxidil or  anything with the fear that if I lose more. Had Folliculitis in recepient zone as well. Recoverd 90%. Still under antibiotics since past one month. 

5C80DF70-11EE-498D-8F2D-F4BA82B66FF2.jpeg

34A5C8F4-63ED-4A0C-8903-25CE2BEE948B.jpeg