If you were me.. 2,800 or 3,500 grafts?

If you were me.. 2,800 or 3,500 grafts?  

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hello,

27 years old

Estimated donor supply 10,000 grafts

I would like some input on how many grafts you think I should get in the frontal area. I could get anywhere from 2,800 to 3,500. I would very much like to consider future loss. I was reading that is it dangerous to get crown work done as it could lead to an island effect if one has future loss. If you were me what would you do? Any comments that would help me out would be grateful. Thank you

5b32d6f8b5ef7_fronthairline.jpg.c8b80331a2d538f971f5f9c176ccdbc6.jpg

5b32d6f8cbb9c_frontst8.jpg.b7420e5de135feb2f8dad58932ebc40b.jpg

back.jpg.8024dfa08e4f794de9d040e3f83f408c.jpg

If your loss is stabilised and has been for a couple of years I would go for 3500 grafts in the frontal third.

If you are still losing hair I would go for 2000 - 2500 grafts in the frontal third.

I assume you are talking about the strip/FUT method and your 10,000 graft estimate for donor supply is from a reputable Doctor.

Good luck.

I think 2500-2800 and save some for future loss. You probably need to expect another operation will be needed 10 years down the line, unless meds are really effective.

Your loss is pretty similar to mine - I reckon I may have lost a bit more. I'm thinking 2500-3000 for myself concentrating on a conservative hairline.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Hairz, when I saw your pics I straight away thought of an identical case I saw recently belonging to Bisanga. It's actually scary how similar you are to this patient.

Hair Loss Help Forums - Dr. Christian Bisanga 2119 FUE 0-7 Months

Anyway, that might be a good indication of what kind of work you'd need (and if you like what you see- maybe a good indication on who you could go to :)).

2,200 FUE + PRP with Dr Bisanga - BHR Clinic, 22-23 August 2013 - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171950-my-fue-2-200-prp-dr-bisanga-bhr-clinic.html

Current Regimen:

- Rogaine 5% Foam 2x daily

- Jasons Restorative Biotin Shampoo 2x daily / Nizoral 2% 2x weekly

- Nettle Root 500mg, MSM 1500mg, Biotin 5mg, Multi Vit, Omega 3

If you are on Propecia and no more significant loss is expected, I would go for the 3,500.

Your hairline or front zone is what people look at! I hate being conservative in this vital area.

I have to disagree here. The guy is only 27 so the hairline can't be too low. A conservative hairline can still be dense - just higher and more densely packed with fewer overall grafts.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Hairz, when I saw your pics I straight away thought of an identical case I saw recently belonging to Bisanga. It's actually scary how similar you are to this patient.

Hair Loss Help Forums - Dr. Christian Bisanga 2119 FUE 0-7 Months

Anyway, that might be a good indication of what kind of work you'd need (and if you like what you see- maybe a good indication on who you could go to :)).

I cannot believe how identical they are:)

It's a tough decision. I think you need to sit down with a doc and come up with a good plan. It looks like your crown may be an issue years from now, so that needs to factor in in your decision.

Personally, I would attack the front 2/3's with 3500+ (or whatever the doc you chooses recommends), so as to strengthen up that part of your head--that is the first thing people see when meeting you.

Saying you have 10,000 available, I would attack the front now and then worry about the crown down the road.

That is what I did. I was a NW4+ and have comfortably built up my front 2/3 and could not be happier.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Thanks for the replies!

The forum member keithh, his results inspired me. He had 3,600 by Dr. Rahal.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/167964-11-month-update-surgery-dr-rahal.html

Do you think this is asking to much?

Keith has thicker hair than you but you have a better colour for transplanting (dirty blonde means less contrast with your skin) and although it's finer it looks good quality.

I think you would be very happy after 3500 grafts to the frontal third with Dr. Rahal but I am biased.

I think nearly 4k grafts for a hairline without knowing future loss is a risk.

I had 2k grafts on hairline and still ponder whether it will prove to be the right decision 20 years from now.....at least it was conservative and I have more in the bank for future surgeries if needed.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

I think it is not strictly a right or wrong decision as I believe that it depends on many factors.

For me (I have not had any surgery), I think that I will not be as concerned when I'm 60 as I'm now 29 about hair loss. I think that being too worried about what one's hair will look like in 20 and 30 years is not really that realistic though that I see where those people are coming from and I don't think that they are wrong. But I think that people pick on those who are in their 20s, 30s and early 40s when they suffer from hair loss as many in these stages tend to have good hair whereas people become more tolerant with those who suffer from hair loss in their 50s and 60s as it is not that common to see someone with head full of hair. Moreover, I'm 100% that there will be other good options in 20 years from now. But I strongly recommend being on medication as this is vital if you go for such a large session.

I hope you understand what I mean.

It's a tough decision. I think you need to sit down with a doc and come up with a good plan. It looks like your crown may be an issue years from now, so that needs to factor in in your decision.

Personally, I would attack the front 2/3's with 3500+ (or whatever the doc you chooses recommends), so as to strengthen up that part of your head--that is the first thing people see when meeting you.

Saying you have 10,000 available, I would attack the front now and then worry about the crown down the road.

That is what I did. I was a NW4+ and have comfortably built up my front 2/3 and could not be happier.

I will have a talk with Dr. Rahal about it and let him decide. I trust him to make the right decision for me.

I made a diagram including measurements and what I think may be needed. If I did it correctly, for 50 grafts per sq/cm it would be 3,175 grafts. With a mix of 70 grafts per sq/cm in the hairline and dropping to 55 and then 50, there would be a bit more grafts needed.

hairline2.jpg.0b7c0501b6ab4270145486b75e0b26b9.jpg

Edited by hairz

Hairz,

Are you on finasteride and minoxidil for your crown? IMHO, finasteride stands the best chances of keeping your crown from breaking up. It may even thicken some but also remember that the initial use of these hairloss meds can induce some shedding. But better than not treating it medicinally at all. I would not recommend any grafts into your crown.

Your frontal third can take the upper limit or your range or even do something between like 3,000 to start. Keeping a mature hairline placement, that would make a huge impact.

What is your family history of hairloss since you are still young? Your midscalp is going and will eventually meet the posterior (crown) if you are not taking finasteride.

Have you received any other opinions?

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Your going to need more than 3500 grafts to create a new hairline and add density to it, ive had 2700 in total and believe me its not megga effective.

I've seen lots of very good results with 3,500 grafts. Are you saying go for the 3,500 grafts or else I may be disappointed?

Hairz,

Are you on finasteride and minoxidil for your crown? IMHO, finasteride stands the best chances of keeping your crown from breaking up. It may even thicken some but also remember that the initial use of these hairloss meds can induce some shedding. But better than not treating it medicinally at all. I would not recommend any grafts into your crown.

Your frontal third can take the upper limit or your range or even do something between like 3,000 to start. Keeping a mature hairline placement, that would make a huge impact.

What is your family history of hairloss since you are still young? Your midscalp is going and will eventually meet the posterior (crown) if you are not taking finasteride.

Have you received any other opinions?

I am not on any meds was waiting for the Dr. to prescribe this fo me. My grandpa on my dads side had very nice hair. My dad is NW5 at 50+. It is hard to keep track as my family is broken.

I strongly, strongly recommend being on medication for a year at least before having a hair transplant. Search the forum and you will find that there are people who have spared thousands of grafts due to medications. You may be one of them. Just take your time and exhaust all available non-surgical options.

I strongly, strongly recommend being on medication for a year at least before having a hair transplant. Search the forum and you will find that there are people who have spared thousands of grafts due to medications. You may be one of them. Just take your time and exhaust all available non-surgical options.

what did you mean by spared thousands? Did you mean wasting grafts where not needed?

I meant that they spared (not wasted) thousands of grafts. If you want I can look up a recent thread about a patient who spared around 4000 grafts after being on a 1/4 Propecia pill.

I meant that they spared (not wasted) thousands of grafts. If you want I can look up a recent thread about a patient who spared around 4000 grafts after being on a 1/4 Propecia pill.

Okay please share because I don't quite understand. Thanks for your help