5 months in...a little concerned

Guys,

I got 2,700 grafts in late September so I am 5 months post op. Hairs are starting to sprout little by little in the scalp and some towards the crown area. However, I have nothing growing by the the frontal hairline. The doc dense packed the hairline so I am a little concerned about the fact that nothing is growing.

This is my 3rd HT. I hear that multiple hair transplants delay growth....is that true?

Thoughts?

I'm just regurgitating information but yes it's been said many times that it takes longer to kick in if you've had a few procedures.

However, I'd still be a little concerned if there was NOTHING.....but all you can do is wait. You may look back on this post one day and laugh at how concerned you were at such an early stage. If growth starts at 3 months first time around, maybe 5 months is more appropriate for a third procedure?

Who was your doctor? Have you contacted him? Photos would help those in the know here give you good advice.......though I do understand if you don't want to share them.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Why would posting photos help? They will not.

You have good cause to be concerned,however, but the only option is to wait.

Your doc is going to say wait, senior board members will say wait

In the end you might be fu**ed, or you might not be.

Edited by Future_HT_Doc

Why would posting photos help? They will not.

You have good cause to be concerned,however, but the only option is to wait.

Your doc is going to say wait, senior board members will say wait

In the end you might be fucked, or you might not be.

Early days, to say this is your 3rd procedure..common knowledge it tends to take more time to grow so try and relax....give it a month or so and see how it is then:)

Dont be to concerned at the moment and of course the only option is to wait.

Nativeremdies...nice support. :o

nativeremdies,

You come off like a know it all prophet putting a negative spin on those who would tell this patient to wait when in reality, you are just giving poor advice. Most patients don't even start seeing signs of growth until between 3 to 5 months and growth can be delayed with subsequent procedures. This is a known fact.

While nobody can predict what's to come, telling a patient he's got good cause to be concerned at just 5 months after a procedure is incorrect and poor advice.

I hope that you'll take the time to educate yourself before causing unnecessary fear in those looking for answers and showing genuine concern in the future.

Regards,

Bill

"Most patients don't even start seeing signs of growth until between 3 to 5"

I would disagree with you that sir. That most patients "see" results between 3 to 5 months. OP is at 5 months, approaching the six month mark, and I personally would be concerned. "TommyLucchese" kind of feels the same. I agree with the OP concerns and see them as valid, where as you do not.

Unfortunately the OP's only option is wait. Weather his concerns are valid or not valid, OP gets to wait.

1. Posting pictures will not change anything.

2. He can talk to his doctor, and that will not change anything,

3. He can start a few more threads and research and waste countless hours and that will not change anything.

Also, it could be his expectations are not aligned, Depending on the type of hair, extra grafts might not make a density difference to him. Either way, the answer to all his questions will be the same. Check back in 1 year post op. I'm simply trying save he OP from some monkey brain.

Edited by nativeremdies

Edited my post twice now because you're right, in my opinion, though you did come across as somewhat insensitive.

I do think it's worth sending photos and talking to his doctor though.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Hmmm if by 5 months you have NOTHING growing in the hairline, I personally would be a bit concerned definitely.... I could(and hope) be very wrong and that your hair starts sprouting soon, I'm no expert at all.

Five months equates to roughly 30% maturation. With approximately 70% maturation left, I think 5 months is too early for concern. I think you should monitor your progress on a monthly basis, but really reserve judgment for the 12 month mark.

Also, I do think sharing some images would help.

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

If this is your third transplant in the same recipient area, then that may make things longer to grow, maybe. But if this was dense packed, then you should have a substantial visible outcome before the 12 month mark. Some folks may tell you to wait 18 months. I personally think, before 12 months.

5 months, you should have some growth, by 7-9 month you should really blossom. If you have the same situation from month 5 to month 9, then I would call it a concern. So, take photos and label the months so you can look back. Take a video for your own records as well.

I hope you get great growth. Just monitor the situation and hang in there. Wish you the best.