Will transplanted hair ever fall out ?

Hello ,

I have been told by some colleagues that transplanted hair are vulnerable and could fall out after 1-2 years. On the contrary i googled and found out mixed opinions. Most of them say that roots are resistant to Male Pattern Baldness and they won't fall out even if they are planted on bald area.

I am bemused as to what is correct and honest opinion. I am really considering HT from Dr. Madhu/Radha/Bhatti. I want to know all the pros and cons of HT before i eke out money for HT. I was under impression that transplanted hair will never ever fall out.

Thanks for your time.

The chances are it may thin out eventually, but not until you are 80 or 90 years old. At that age, who's going to care?!

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Trust me, you'll care about your appearance at 40 and beyond.

I waited until I was 41 before I did my first HT and it was a small procedure by today's standards. I did my second procedure at age 46 and the third at age 48 and then my last one was at age 52.

All were done for wanting more hair and more coverage beyond the age of 40. I wore hair systems with HCM for 11 years prior to any surgery and a large part of my goal was to get out of expensive high maintenance hair systems.

Been taking finasteride since 1996 right after my first HT.

I also discovered that social status has alot to do with men wanting cosmetic surgery in their 40s plus years. These typically are men who are starting out in a new social status resulting mostly from divorce and other relationships which may have dissolved.

I have also found it true that married men or those in meaningful long term relationships do not care as much about getting HTs as men who are single and looking.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I may be the exception to that rule. I am extremely happily married and my wife couldn't care less about my hair thinning and balding. I actually had to talk her into letting me get my HT. It's purely about self-image and trying to like what I see in the mirror for me.

• Moderators
The chances are it may thin out eventually, but not until you are 80 or 90 years old. At that age, who's going to care?!

Don't believe the myth that it won't thin until you're 80. I'm 45 and my so-called safe area has been thinning for years. My transplanted area keeps thinning as the years go by and the donor area is so thin that I can't cover the scars. You can see my pictures in my profile if you don't believe me.

The HT was supposed to give me more hair, not leave me with less.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

The whole purpose of a HT is to transplant hair which is DHT resistant from the sides to the top. If this is done correctly, you should have the hair for a long time .

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

I assure you men (and women) care about their looks way past 50. Just think about Andy McDowell in those L'Oreal wrinkle commercials (PS she is over 50 and hot!)The young has no monopoly on self confidence and concern over personal appearance. Its amazing how naive the young are about what older people care about. They (the young) think they have a monopoly on vigor, sexual attractiveness, etc. They certainly do not have a monopoly on wisdom.

Don't believe the myth that it won't thin until you're 80. I'm 45 and my so-called safe area has been thinning for years. My transplanted area keeps thinning as the years go by and the donor area is so thin that I can't cover the scars. You can see my pictures in my profile if you don't believe me.

The HT was supposed to give me more hair, not leave me with less.

Sorry to hear that.