Shockloss/ Scar Question

Hey Guys,

I received 1704 grafts mostly focusing on my hairline. The plan was to transplant 2000-2500, but due to my less than average density donor area, we did not reach that goal. It's been about 6 weeks since my procedure, and I'm noticing a lot of shockloss around the scar and wanted to get your guys opinions if you consider this normal or not. I will also send these pics to my doctor for his feedback, but after reading through these forums I'm guessing my shockloss is normal, but I wanted other opinions just in case! Also, I am on 0.5mg Propecia everyday. Thanks guys!

IMG_1142.JPG.5689fba242f4dc72fbc7633524f88233.JPG

IMG_1143.JPG.270d034786334234601562a55d8cac98.JPG

IMG_1153.JPG.3eb08c94accaf44c8e96b2f02434bd36.JPG

IMG_1162.JPG.94b10b7b27ddeb82f0b1b71ba13f0b35.JPG

1IMG_1152.jpg.7e784a6aa5ddf50f90d7636e0648ab1e.jpg

Edited by Shabs88
Added new pic

hey jerzig, thanks for your advice! I had my procedure with Dr. True in NYC. Not sure if you've heard of him, but he has a great reputation throughout these forums so I don't doubt his work. From looking at my pics again you're right, my scar does look higher than a lot of others I've seen but like you said, I believe it's due to my donor density. I'm hoping within 2 months the shockloss subsides because with concealers, I still have that "hat head" look! I'll reach out to Dr. True tomorrow. Good luck with your recovery!

That seems like a really long scar considering such few grafts. Was you donor already pretty tight?

Have you had a previous procedure?

I don't think you should sweat the scar yet. You are likely now experiencing the worst of shock loss. It will get better.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Dr. True said I should not worry, and the shock loss should resolve itself in 4-8 weeks, and be completely resolved in 3-4 months. The pinkness will eventually go away as well.

Spanker- yea my donor area isn't as dense.The doctor told me an average is about 75cm2, whereas mine was only 55cm2, i believe the scar is long but very thin, and Dr. True is usually on the conservative side (as so I've heard) and I remember him telling me after the procedure that he could've been more aggressive but chose not to. Thanks for the feedback guys!

Shabs88,

I am having the same issue. Most of the shockloss on my head is on the side and is still pink after 6 weeks. I still feel that there is still hairloss but my doctor (Dr Hasson) also said not to worry and gave the same timeframe for cessation and regrowth. Cross my fingers, because other than the shockloss and pinkless I feel I could cut my hair short and no one would know I had a HT. Your donor area is higher than mine on the back too just to put in my 0.02.

Even though I wouldnt want anyone going through the 'ugly duckling' phase, its nice to know i'm not alone in this. hang in there man, Hasson and True are amazing doctors, we should be good in a few weeks time! yea i noticed my donor scar is higher, maybe due to lack of density on oher areas of my donor hair. i'm all sorts of messed up i guess haha

Hi Shabbs

It sucks doesn't it?

I'm about 11 weeks out, have a similar scar, but was lucky enough to get 4800 grafts and a large area covered.

I looked slightly better than you at the back at the same time as you, but almost identical at the sides. Improvement is happening, but it's slow.

The best thing I've learned is: be patient, and if you are looking in the mirror all the time then stop. That was me until I decided to stop a week ago, now I check things out once a week.

Just tough it out, remain positive.

Modenese.

4800+ grafts, Dr Bisanga, Brussels, Oct 2012

My Photos

Shabbs,

Temporay shockloss where the donor strip was taken is not unusual. And it's really nice to hear that Dr. True was looking out for your best interests, and not putting the emphasis on the size of the procedure.

You're going to be just fine and the redness will dissipate with time.

Looking forward to seeing your progress and best wishes to you on your new transformation! ;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Hey Guys,

I received 1704 grafts mostly focusing on my hairline. The plan was to transplant 2000-2500, but due to my less than average density donor area, we did not reach that goal. It's been about 6 weeks since my procedure, and I'm noticing a lot of shockloss around the scar and wanted to get your guys opinions if you consider this normal or not. I will also send these pics to my doctor for his feedback, but after reading through these forums I'm guessing my shockloss is normal, but I wanted other opinions just in case! Also, I am on 0.5mg Propecia everyday. Thanks guys!

You picked a great doctor...I had pretty bad shock till about 2 months...It went away very quick after that.

Had you had any previous work...I thought the same thing about the length of the scar and only 1700 grafts...Thats why I was asking about previous work..anyway, the shock will go away.

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated! Shockloss is still there but not as bad, i'm guessing thats just due to my hair getting longer so its covering it up more. still noticeable without any concealers though!

NEWHAIRPLEASE- no previous work done, just a low density donor area. the aim was for 2000 but couldn't make that goal!

• 2 weeks later...

Shabs88

I am on the same schedule as you. I am not losing large amounts anymore but with my hair growing out and some Toppik it is concealed now. I still am pinkish on top and have to use Toppik there too to conceal and thicken

Excellent choice with Dr. True indeed. I had a session done with him over two years ago which yielded very nice results. I am currently mapping out my next plan of attack with him and may also keep a detailed log to "give back" to the forum and showcase Dr. True's work.

I look forward to your progress and wish you the best!

Excellent choice with Dr. True indeed. I had a session done with him over two years ago which yielded very nice results. I am currently mapping out my next plan of attack with him and may also keep a detailed log to "give back" to the forum and showcase Dr. True's work.

I look forward to your progress and wish you the best!

That would be awesome! Congrats on your success and look forward to reading about your journey diamondlight. ;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY