QUESTIONS -- 9 month mark (slow grower)

Hi everyone --

I'm nine months out from my procedure, and I have some questions for everyone. I'm not posting pics yet, because with the lighting in my place combined with my poor camera, every photo I take tends to make my results looks much better or much worse than they are.

Here's what I'm wondering about:

1. I am definitely a slow grower (I take no internal meds). I've read over and over again on the forums how you should wait a year before evaluating. What's confusing to me are the blogs. I have a very hard time finding people who have a huge difference in the blogs between 9 and 14 months. I know Spex has written about the 8-16 month period, but it feels like the blog pics don't really give a good indication of these changes. It also seems as if slow growers are very under represented on the blogs as well. Anyone out there a slow grower who had a lot of change after nine months?

2. Does the left side always catch up to the right? In my case, the left side is really lagging behind. Is anybody walking around with a big contrast between the two sides? If the left were more in line with the right, it would make a huge difference.

I would love some reassurance from anyone who would like to respond to these questions.

Overall, my transplant is definitely getting there... my hair is just taking it's sweet time. I will post pics soon.

Thanks to everyone in advance!

Hi everyone --

I'm nine months out from my procedure, and I have some questions for everyone. I'm not posting pics yet, because with the lighting in my place combined with my poor camera, every photo I take tends to make my results looks much better or much worse than they are.

Here's what I'm wondering about:

1. I am definitely a slow grower (I take no internal meds). I've read over and over again on the forums how you should wait a year before evaluating. What's confusing to me are the blogs. I have a very hard time finding people who have a huge difference in the blogs between 9 and 14 months. I know Spex has written about the 8-16 month period, but it feels like the blog pics don't really give a good indication of these changes. It also seems as if slow growers are very under represented on the blogs as well. Anyone out there a slow grower who had a lot of change after nine months?

2. Does the left side always catch up to the right? In my case, the left side is really lagging behind. Is anybody walking around with a big contrast between the two sides? If the left were more in line with the right, it would make a huge difference.

I would love some reassurance from anyone who would like to respond to these questions.

Overall, my transplant is definitely getting there... my hair is just taking it's sweet time. I will post pics soon.

Thanks to everyone in advance!

Hi Ceasar08,

First, sorry to hear of your situation and I do look forward to your photos when you feel comfortable posting them as representative of how it looks in real life. The best way to do this (in my opinion) is take some non-flash photos outside on a lightly overcast day. This should give a good natural sense of how things are progressing. Then zoom in on areas of your concern, etc. I do commend you on holding off posting photos that are either emphasizing or de-emphasizing the progress to date.

As for growth past 8-months, let me start with my own experience. I also was a late bloomer, like you. While I didn't notice any new hairs from months 8+, I did notice that the hairs that had already come in thickened up adding to the density I was seeking, while in months 12-18, I found the hairs became more manageable and less 'wirey'. It's an important part of the overall 12-18 months Hair Transplant cycle.

But... everyone grows at different rates and I know there have been well documented cases of late bloomers, so I do hope some come forward. In the meantime, I will search for some good evidence of this late blooming for you as I'm positive I've seen some!

For now, hang in there as 9-months is still early to judge any final results. Another few months (1-year) should provide you a good framework for the growth of hairs, while they will continue to thicken up to 18-months post-op.

Good luck!

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

Ceasar08, At one point, I was like you hoping and praying for a burst of late growth, but I kind of knew that it wouldn't happen and it didn't. I finally got the real deal and will post some pics shortly to prove it. The way I started growing in almost immediately at the 3-month mark from my last procedure was like night and day compared to my two priors. By month six all the transplanted hairs should have grown in and would just thicken up from then on. I've heard a lot of talk in the past about "slow growers" and personally feel, and only for the exception of a very few cases, they don't exist. By the way, are you able to tell us atlest how many grafts you received?

Ceasar08

Here is a link to a recent post by Dr. Paul Shapiro that caught my eye. First off, this is an excellent result by Dr. Shapiro. Although the patient demonstrated very good growth at nine months, his postop photos reveal a definite density enhancement at the 14 month mark. Based on my experience there is no question that many patients continue to thicken up to, and occasionally beyond, the 12th postoperative month. Don't get discouraged at this point ??“ it's still relatively early in the waiting game.

http://hair-restoration-info.c...21087683/m/158100281

Thank you for all of the responses.

I went to one of the top doctors and received a megasession. I hope my post did not sound negative in any way. I'm simply behind the curve at this point, and doing a little obsessing in the mirror. If my hair continues to thicken and improve steadily, it will be a very nice result. As I said though, I'm a bit behind the curve at the moment.

I checked at your link Dr. Koinor, and I agree it is a beautiful result from Dr. Shapiro, and there is a definite difference at the 14 month mark. I hope to follow in that guy's footsteps...

Thanks again for the feedback.

Ceasar, some people just take longer to grow than others. Spex and Jotronic are others that have posted patients that clearly show that there is a difference between 9 and 14-months. Have you had a chance to speak to your surgeon? What did he/she say?

I still think you have time to see more growth and maturation.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Hi Ceasar08

Notwithstanding your understandable reticence, perhaps you might try posting some photos of your present look and the pre-op look, showing (of the current photos) both the ones that make your results look better than you think they are and the ones that you think make them look worse. Those on this forum with more experienced eyes than mine might be able to see through the lighting issues and offer some reassuring words.

You are a thoughtful and considerate poster and it would be nice for you to receive some thoughtful and considerate feedback. I really hope it comes through for you soon mate!

Regards

17 Feb 09 - 3,200 FUs by strip surgery (Dr Feller)

My Hair Loss Website

Thanks for all of the kind replies guys.

Spex -- I'm going to e-mail you some photos in the best lighting I can find. As I'd mentioned, some lighting makes it look like I have a mop on my head, while other lighting can make me look bald.

I am definitely seeing steady improvements, just a little nervous that I am a bit behind other people at nine months.

I will keep you guys updated.

Ceasar,

I'm glad you shared your concerns here so you could garner input from the veteran members of this community.

As others have said, everyone grows at different rates. Hopefully, you are just a slow grower which is indeed quite possible.

In my opinion, keep the lines of communication open with your doctor and express your concerns. Discuss the "what ifs" with him/her, but don't dwell on them at this point.

Once your hair transplant matures, you can then decide whether or not your hair transplant has met your expectations and work with your doctor to ensure you get the head of hair you rightfully deserve.

Keep us posted my friend.

Bill

Notwithstanding your understandable reticence, perhaps you might try posting some photos of your present look and the pre-op look, showing (of the current photos) both the ones that make your results look better than you think they are and the ones that you think make them look worse. Those on this forum with more experienced eyes than mine might be able to see through the lighting issues and offer some reassuring words.

You are a thoughtful and considerate poster and it would be nice for you to receive some thoughtful and considerate feedback. I really hope it comes through for you soon mate!

Regards

i agree with this post.... all the best ceasar08

*** RESULTS WILL 100%, without a DOUBT, VARY***

Originally posted by M&M:

Hi Ceasar08,

First, sorry to hear of your situation and I do look forward to your photos when you feel comfortable posting them as representative of how it looks in real life. The best way to do this (in my opinion) is take some non-flash photos outside on a lightly overcast day. This should give a good natural sense of how things are progressing. Then zoom in on areas of your concern, etc. I do commend you on holding off posting photos that are either emphasizing or de-emphasizing the progress to date.

As for growth past 8-months, let me start with my own experience. I also was a late bloomer, like you. While I didn't notice any new hairs from months 8+, I did notice that the hairs that had already come in thickened up adding to the density I was seeking, while in months 12-18, I found the hairs became more manageable and less 'wirey'. It's an important part of the overall 12-18 months Hair Transplant cycle.

But... everyone grows at different rates and I know there have been well documented cases of late bloomers, so I do hope some come forward. In the meantime, I will search for some good evidence of this late blooming for you as I'm positive I've seen some!

For now, hang in there as 9-months is still early to judge any final results. Another few months (1-year) should provide you a good framework for the growth of hairs, while they will continue to thicken up to 18-months post-op.

Good luck!

Hi Ceasar08,

I havent read through everyones replies but after reading this reply I didnt think I could have put it any better than M&M.

1st off... just from my own experience with the waiting game... its a mind game that can really get to you. The chances are if your having a HT that you are someone that is a little self critical and will not feel comfortable with anything thats not quite right and needs attention.

All these thoughts play havok when waiting around for the grand results! I can confirm i was just the same as you mate.

I also had un-even coverage on the left side.. it was quite noticable to me for a good time. It did thicken up and level out but this took the best part of 12 -14 months.

I dont want to give you any cause for concern as I really believe you will be in far better shape when you have reached the time scale I mentioned above.. but.. also... I think its important for everyone embarking on a HT not to rule out that a 2nd procedure to 'fill and thicken' the areas a bit that you really feel would look more desireable with a bit more hair to thicken it up! I think this is a healthy and good approach to have. If someone is laying all there cards down for a certain 1 time pass to deliver every time... I think that can lead to a false sense of certainty.

I am not ruling out your still right on target icon_smile.gif as stated...I was in the same shape and it make a real turn around in the last half of the waiting game...or HT Roller Coater!

The best advice I can give is... dont panic just yet!! U have a long way to go dude.. I wish it wasnt such a along wait but most of us have been in the same boat so we know where your coming from with your worries icon_smile.gif its perfectly natural to feel this way.. hang in there.. it will all sort itself out! icon_wink.gif

Wish all the very best for you! icon_smile.gif

I think they often promte poor results as slow growth. Patient planted at lower density, finer hair, or with poor yield will take longer to "come together" (ie provide enough density to hide scalp.)

People continue to thicken past month 9, and this may get you over the hump, or it may not.

I ave never seen a slow grower who has a late miraculous improvement. You will learn that man 1.5 year pics are better by virture that the intermediate hair is longer and thus more overlapping/layering. This is a function of the hairs being longer, not having a better result. Cut the hair short and it will look see thru again. You will get better at styling it and using what you have to create the illusion of coverage over time.

You need to decide if the reason it has not come together is A) Poor yield B) Low density planting C) Fine hair or some combination of the three.

There will not be many or any new hairs after month 9, only thickening. Please plan accodringly. The thickening of existing hairs may be enough to get you satisfied, but sugar coating what you are going through and telling a slow growe to just wait, will do more damage than good. Be realistic and plan your next steps.

Originally posted by TheEmperor:

I think they often promte poor results as slow growth. Patient planted at lower density, finer hair, or with poor yield will take longer to "come together" (ie provide enough density to hide scalp.)

People continue to thicken past month 9, and this may get you over the hump, or it may not.

I ave never seen a slow grower who has a late miraculous improvement. You will learn that man 1.5 year pics are better by virture that the intermediate hair is longer and thus more overlapping/layering. This is a function of the hairs being longer, not having a better result. Cut the hair short and it will look see thru again. You will get better at styling it and using what you have to create the illusion of coverage over time.

You need to decide if the reason it has not come together is A) Poor yield B) Low density planting C) Fine hair or some combination of the three.

There will not be many or any new hairs after month 9, only thickening. Please plan accodringly. The thickening of existing hairs may be enough to get you satisfied, but sugar coating what you are going through and telling a slow growe to just wait, will do more damage than good. Be realistic and plan your next steps.

the truth.

*** RESULTS WILL 100%, without a DOUBT, VARY***

The telogen (resting) phase of the hair normally lasts 5-6 weeks. It is very unlikely that new growths occur after the 9 months mark. There will be some thickening and lengthening of the hair, but not new growths.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

For myself, I am approaching 9 months and am still expecting more thickening and growth. I do have a lot of stubble hairs. I'm unsure if they are new ones popping up or stunted transplanted hairs. If they are stunted hairs, what do I do? Pluck 'em and hope for the follicle to produce another one?

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Originally posted by aaron1234:

For myself, I am approaching 9 months and am still expecting more thickening and growth. I do have a lot of stubble hairs. I'm unsure if they are new ones popping up or stunted transplanted hairs. If they are stunted hairs, what do I do? Pluck 'em and hope for the follicle to produce another one?

New ones popping up would not be like a stubble. They are very fine and light. The stubbles you are mentioning are probably not growing transplanted hairs. You may pluck it to leave room for new growth.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley