SMP for thinning hair/before HT

msh89

hi all! first post. long time reader, finally reaching my most desperate hour. struggling to find the funds to afford an HT, so as a backup that would enable me to save money and regain confidence, i'm considering SMP. need some input please!

my hair has thinned on top noticeably, and on the crown there is two nickel-ish sized spots that is pretty much barren. the front is consistent yet "see-through" if that makes sense, and towrds the middle is pretty much regular density. i've been uncomfortably getting by with dermmatch, and nobody has noticed i dont think, nor does anyone say its super noticeable when i make them check my head for me! but i still feel like i get "the look" :confused:

question being: with enough hair to get by using dermmatch (hair is shaved probably down to 1/4 of an inch), would it be realistic to get SMP done with good results/blending? also, down the road when i do hopefully get an HT, would having SMP already done complicate the surgery?

i dont want shave my hair down any more than where it's at, but i think that if i had some pseudo-stubble it would at least give it illusion enough to not have to apply anymore concealers. i'm also trying to avoid that "tint" look, i just need some hefty dots in the right places.

thanks!

It is possible, but I would highly recommend proceeding carefully and probably researching a company that uses temporary ink.

SMP is really ideally suited for a very slim sub-sect of patients: individuals with diffuse thinning who are willing to increase the perceived density with SMP and leave the head shaved very closely. Although this is my own personal opinion (and others may highly disagree), from the cases I've seen, this is really where it works the best.

If your hair is cropped close enough (1/4 inch may be a bit long, but it may work with the "stubble" created by the SMP), you could be a good candidate. However, I highly recommend researching it thoroughly beforehand. Additionally, what color is your hair?

Finally, are you currently taking any hair loss medications? A regimen of Propecia (finasteride) and Rogaine (minoxidil) with your shortly cropped hair may go a lot further than an SMP treatment.

Look forward to back from you.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

thanks for the reply!

i figured since im already using concealers with my short hair, the SMP would act the same way, but permanent and with less of a solid "tint" when hit with certain light. i dread the day i'm without something to cover my head in seattle's rainy weather :eek:

when i dare let the top grow out a bit (maybe half an inch), part of the crown is uneven but with dermmatch i can pass it by (again, unless light hits it just right). was hoping with SMP i could just blame it on a bad haircut if anyone were to notice.

my hair is medium brown and i try to keep a good tan going, because it seems to blend everything together better, and who doesn't like being tan? also the "medium brown" dermmatch has a red tint :mad: so having a subtle whole body red tint is helpful.

and yup, been taking finasteride for years. on and off with the minoxidil, however i've started up about two or so months ago, and i only put it on in the morning as it's too much of a hassle at night.

just ordered some nizoral 1%, hoping this might help turn the tides a bit.

You may be a good candidate, but, again, I still suggest proceeding very carefully.

Have you researched any particular clinics yet?

Here are some examples of SMP on patients without thinly cropped hair from Dr. Rassman (one of our Coalition physicians and an SMP pioneer).

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

i was looking at HIS hair clinic because one opened downtown recently and also they offer removal if i end up not being satisfied, so that's always a good fallback! gonna try to schedule a consultation soon.

those pictures look great! granted their hair is much longer. even with a buzzed hair yet not quite shaved, i feel like having that extra look of "density" would be perfect, long as i don't get over zealous and grow my hair out too long.

Glad you were able to look them over. Would you be willing to consult with NHI? I'm not sure where you live, but it may be worth traveling to have a SMP procedure with a trusted organization (like Dr. Rassman and NHI).

Glad you were able to look them over. Would you be willing to consult with NHI? I'm not sure where you live, but it may be worth traveling to have a SMP procedure with a trusted organization (like Dr. Rassman and NHI).

i live in WA, so i would have to take a flight or a very long drive. even so, they say the procedure would have to be done 2-3 times over a period of time, so heading to LA even more than once is pretty unrealistic with my schedule unfortunately.

i dont like the hairlines for HIS but i don't intent on them creating me a new one, just filling in what i have with density. otherwise, the rest of their pictures look pretty good.

My condition is similar my friend .

I was just starting to open a thread about myself that which one i should do first, fue or smp but then i saw your thread:)

My opinion is to go for the smp first. I listened to joe& spex interview with spencer kobren last week ( which is i highly recommend to everyone) that joe said a thing ; there is always a factor of "shockloss" even with the best docs out there. So if you start with a fue , maybe you end up in a worse place than you are right now. Also since milena's work is temporary , it would be gone at most in 24 months. When i weigh those options , i for myself find starting with smp seems more secure to me. But thats just my option , hope this helps .

i would have to agree with it being more safe getting SMP first. i feel like i already have enough native hair to justify having SMP done with good results in terms of the appearence of density while having a buzzed cut. my only dilemma is considering the lower yet still high cost of SMP vs. just saving longer, getting a HT and hoping for the best then later on getting SMP to fill in any areas lacking density plus going over the scar.

aghh pros and cons for both.

What are the costs being quoted just for crown work?

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

• 1 month later...

This is a great question. In our experience, SMP actually works best with a little bit of growth. The pigmentation gives the appearance of density, yet the stubble gives the texture and dimension that pigmentation alone cannot provide. SMP is somewhat similar to the effect of dermmatch/toppik in that it gives density through coloration of the scalp. Likewise, SMP is applied with more density in your thinner areas, and blending is accomplished with lower density pigmentation in areas where there you have more hair. Essentially, there is an inverse relationship—the less density you have, the more we add (and vice versa).

Hair Length: It is important to note that, depending on the density of your hair, you will want to keep your hair very short (probably no more than a 2 guard on a clipper). While your pictures show that you will probably have some flexibility, clients who have more distinct boundaries around thin areas (like a bald spot on a crown) are more likely to have to shave tighter to prevent the appearance of dimensional issues. Also, allowing the sides and back to grow longer will make the top to the scalp look too light. Basically, the SMP process restores balance between areas with naturally occurring pigment from your hair with areas where there is less pigment. Growing the sides out makes them appear too dark in relation to the top.

The cost is going to vary based on where you have your procedure. The aforementioned 2k-5k range is a fair estimate.

As for having a HT following an SMP procedure, there is very little risk of complication. We work closely with Dr. Shapiro and have yet to experience any issues. It is necessary to allow the pigmentation to cure for 30 days prior to receiving surgery. It is typically necessary for HT to heal for much longer (estimates vary from 6-12 months, and should be assessed individually) prior to receiving SMP.

The combination of HT and SMP typically yields great results as SMP can add the density which may be difficult through HT, and HT provides the texture and dimension that SMP cannot. Dr. Shapiro has a few great examples on another forum. I will try to obtain the Post-FUE/SMP photos and share them here.

Hi Jeff. Do you represent Good Look Ink? If so, fantastic! Would love to have you stick around the forums. The members here have loads of questions about SMP.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Jeff,

Please edit your signature to include the fact that you are a representative for Good Look Ink.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Jeff are you suggesting that patients shouldn't wear their hair longer than a #2 clip buzz? I thought SMP can offer a "thickening affect" for those who wish to wear their hair a little longer... Please clarify.

You only live once...

• 2 years later...
It is possible, but I would highly recommend proceeding carefully and probably researching a company that uses temporary ink.

SMP is really ideally suited for a very slim sub-sect of patients: individuals with diffuse thinning who are willing to increase the perceived density with SMP and leave the head shaved very closely. Although this is my own personal opinion (and others may highly disagree), from the cases I've seen, this is really where it works the best.

If your hair is cropped close enough (1/4 inch may be a bit long, but it may work with the "stubble" created by the SMP), you could be a good candidate. However, I highly recommend researching it thoroughly beforehand. Additionally, what color is your hair?

Finally, are you currently taking any hair loss medications? A regimen of Propecia (finasteride) and Rogaine (minoxidil) with your shortly cropped hair may go a lot further than an SMP treatment.

Look forward to back from you.

sorry to revive this old post but would SMP conceal the diffuse thinning only if the hair is cut short ? ( stubble ). What if the diffuse hair is grown out a bit longer, would the smp still be able to conceal the diffuse thinning ? ( because no scalp is showing ).. Or would it look unnatural ?

Regimen: 5% Minoxidil twice a day (morning and night) on front hairline, Proscar (broken into 5 pieces) one piece every night. MSM 1000 Mg, Zinc 30 Mg, Vitamin E, Multi-Vitamin.

Baby Shampoo for showering.

SMP can work with diffuse longer hair, but you need to apply quite a bit of pigment for the effect to work. We've been performing 2 passes of SMP per session in order to provide as much coverage/illusion of density as possible. In order to do this the client must follow the pre-care instructions closely to prevent any excess bleeding.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com