Minoxidil. Frontal Hair/Receding hair line: Yay or Nay?

Theodpliske8711

Just to try and ascertain with some confidence as to how effective the claim that Rogaine regrows hair in front really is:

How many here take Rogaine/Minoxidil? And how many of you taking it have noticed regrowth in on the front hair/receding hairline? Did it stop the recession? Did it make it thicker?

Thank you!

Just to try and ascertain with some confidence as to how effective the claim that Rogaine regrows hair in front really is:

How many here take Rogaine/Minoxidil? And how many of you taking it have noticed regrowth in on the front hair/receding hairline? Did it stop the recession? Did it make it thicker?

Thank you!

I have had some regrowth since starting in April this year. The hair is a bit whispy at the moment but getting better as the months go by.

There's no way of knowing how good a reaction you will get without giving it a go and using the stuff day in day out for 3-4 months.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Thanks. I've been on it for about a month now generally twice a day but sometimes only once at night (If I am in a rush in the morning). My cousin had spectacular results from it. He was verging on a Norwood 5 or so (I mean he had barely any hair left on the top) and now has a head full of hair, after only about 4-5 months on it. It really is unbelievable. He is obviously beyond stoked at the development. I wish I had before and after photos to document it but while he was nearly bald he never took a photo without a hat. I'm hoping to get similar results, but my hair loss was far different from his (his was a total loss all around while mine has been an ever so slow progression through the past 6 years while his loss occurred over a year and a half or so, although it had been building before then).

But anyway, I noticed that the 6 month amount seems to be going far faster for me. I'm only a month and two weeks or so in and I've used up 2 already. I guess its six months if you isolate the minoxidil to your vertex instead of putting it allover your hair as I do.

• 1 month later...

hey mate,

When i first began using rogaine about 2.5 years ago, honestly my hair frontal and crown all grew back! people actually kept asking me what i done to my hair etc..

My biggest problem was i stopped taking itt! for at least a year and i lost everything and further hair loss progressed which is now making me play catch up. Use it and maintain it! Do not stop even if no more hair grows, because once u stop its going to get worse!

Seeing little hairs is a good sign, the rogaine could aid in making those hairs bigger and stronger. If you have an oily scalp, start using nizoral 2% 3 times a week! it will help keep your scalp clean

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to try this out, but like others mentioned above, after you stop taking it all the results just dissappear if not worse. My only problem is recession as well, everywhere else is thick. I've tried propecia for about half a year now with no results, let me know if this works for you and what NW level you are?

I have had some regrowth since starting in April this year. The hair is a bit whispy at the moment but getting better as the months go by.

There's no way of knowing how good a reaction you will get without giving it a go and using the stuff day in day out for 3-4 months.

Did you experience the customary shedding in your 1st month of use?

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I am hearing some encouraging results with minoxidil, even for receding hairlines that I suffer from. However, it states that it works best for those under 40. How does this compare for those of us over 40.

I'm 45, been using Rogaine (liquid back then) since I was 25 and Propecia since I was 28.

Both are still working fine.

I have had 2,000 grafts done since 2000, last was in 2006

I'm 45, been using Rogaine (liquid back then) since I was 25 and Propecia since I was 28.

Both are still working fine.

I have had 2,000 grafts done since 2000, last was in 2006

thanks for the first hand info

• 1 month later...
I am hearing some encouraging results with minoxidil, even for receding hairlines that I suffer from. However, it states that it works best for those under 40. How does this compare for those of us over 40.

Fin and minoxidil help damaged hair get healthy. dead hair is dead.

Thats why age matters when it comes to restoring hair, not preventing future hairloss.

I had been using rogain spray for many years then I decided to stop using it, I really could not tell if I had any gains from it. so some time went by and my friends wife was cutting my hair and said it looked thinner in the crown area . That's all I needed to hear, I have been using rogain foam ever since.

It made my hair recede more, especially the right side, it made it receide quicker...after about 6 to 8 months of it I finally stopped using it for fear that i'd lose more hair.

It has been almost two years and the hair never came back. Now I have an uneven hairline and have to style it weird to hide the patch. I would have better off never taking Rogaine!

I heard it is supposed to make the hair fall out and regrow new hair, but what if it makes it worse? As a grad school student in college I did not want to take that chance. I honestly thought the hair would grow back.

Would like to know others responses to this. Or if they had similar results, or people who had their hair fall out but continued taking it. This is depressing me as I have not even lived half my life yet.

It made my hair recede more, especially the right side, it made it receide quicker...after about 6 to 8 months of it I finally stopped using it for fear that i'd lose more hair.

It has been almost two years and the hair never came back. Now I have an uneven hairline and have to style it weird to hide the patch. I would have better off never taking Rogaine!

I heard it is supposed to make the hair fall out and regrow new hair, but what if it makes it worse? As a grad school student in college I did not want to take that chance. I honestly thought the hair would grow back.

Would like to know others responses to this. Or if they had similar results, or people who had their hair fall out but continued taking it. This is depressing me as I have not even lived half my life yet.

3months slow and stops

6months start regrow

12 months see result

----------------

from what i understand.

For me im really happy white small hairs on my bald sports on the sides, not even sure if i will need a hair transplant bit i will do anyway just to make it thick :)

im not just talk 1-2mm im talking like 5-10mm long now,

however just been using fin and minoxidil for almost 2 months, but been using saw palmetto for a few months, i guess thats why i started getting results already.

Well, I have been using Minoxidil for almost 9 weeks for receding hairline.

It has continued to recede. I cannot tell whether it is receding at a faster rate

with minoxidil or not. I only want to retain what I have. I will give it another 1-2 months.

3months slow and stops

6months start regrow

12 months see result

----------------

from what i understand.

For me im really happy white small hairs on my bald sports on the sides, not even sure if i will need a hair transplant bit i will do anyway just to make it thick :)

im not just talk 1-2mm im talking like 5-10mm long now,

however just been using fin and minoxidil for almost 2 months, but been using saw palmetto for a few months, i guess thats why i started getting results already.

Thanks for letting me know. Perhaps the combination you are doing is helping you more. My experience for the time I was taking it was shedding, especially after taking a shower. The hair that Rogaine caused to fall out quicker never grew back. I'm glad that Rogaine seems to be working for you though.

Thanks for letting me know. Perhaps the combination you are doing is helping you more. My experience for the time I was taking it was shedding, especially after taking a shower. The hair that Rogaine caused to fall out quicker never grew back. I'm glad that Rogaine seems to be working for you though.

Im not sure how long you had been using it but

Recently, some studies using a digital phototrichogram (Trichoscan, Marburg, Germany) proved that there was indeed a quantifiable increase in shedding and a corresponding loss of hair density in the first 3 months of minoxidil use. However, by the 6 month stage the subjects were shown to have regrown the lost hair and had increased hair density compared to that recorded at the start of treatment. By 12 months after starting minoxidil use their hair density was much improved and the diameter of the hair fibers was thicker than at the start of treatment and as compared to controls who did not receive treatment.

Read more about what shedding actually means here

(link removed by moderator)

Edited by David - TakingThePlunge

This article is useful, but mentions the hair follicles return after several months, but mine never returned. Anything the Minoxidil made fall out should have grown back by now. I was told if you quit using Minoxidil the hair that gre back from Minoxidil will fall out. Any hair that was there normally and fell out from Minoxidil should grow back...but it did not. I now have several very short hairs in the areas the Minoxidil was added, some areas on the right side are bald. When I started they were normal sized hairs but becoming limp. When the shedding happened, it increased my receding hairline within months, and the natural hairs that Minoxidil made fall out never grew back after this cycle.

This article is useful, but mentions the hair follicles return after several months, but mine never returned. Anything the Minoxidil made fall out should have grown back by now. I was told if you quit using Minoxidil the hair that gre back from Minoxidil will fall out. Any hair that was there normally and fell out from Minoxidil should grow back...but it did not. I now have several very short hairs in the areas the Minoxidil was added, some areas on the right side are bald. When I started they were normal sized hairs but becoming limp. When the shedding happened, it increased my receding hairline within months, and the natural hairs that Minoxidil made fall out never grew back after this cycle.

how many months ago was this?

• 2 weeks later...

So it's been 3 months and the only thing I notice is my receding hairline.

Considering the low cost of minoxidil, I am willing to give it another 3-4 months.

However, if the continued use of minoxidil is going to increase the rate of recession compared to not using it, I am thinking I should stop it immediately. Thought?

So it's been 3 months and the only thing I notice is my receding hairline.

Considering the low cost of minoxidil, I am willing to give it another 3-4 months.

However, if the continued use of minoxidil is going to increase the rate of recession compared to not using it, I am thinking I should stop it immediately. Thought?

My sides started to go backwards when i started but now grownout again even better then before. shedding is normal the first months since the damaged hair gets healed (going to resting state) then growout again