How important really is scalp exercises?

Hey All,

I recently went in for a consultation for a coalition doctor recommended on here, and they indicated that scalp stretching wasn't really all that beneficial. They estimated stretches might yield an extra 100 grafts or so, tops.

I was always led to believe that scalp exercises were way more beneficial.

I ask because I was quoted at a low yield (2,500 grafts) for my second surgery. The doctor didn't think they could go beyond that without it being too tight. I've had one prior small HT. I was hoping/expecting to still be able to get 3-4k in one pass on my 2nd surgery.

What is everyone elses take of this?

I would say most of the top docs like Hasson, Wong, SMG, Konior etc... all highly recommend doing laxity exercises. If I were scheduled for surgery I would be doing them heavily. Actually I am not scheduled and I am doing them anyway for future consideration. Who was the Doc? If that's how he feels about the scalp exercises it shouldn't be any problem discussing it here.

The more tight the scalp is, the more critical the scalp exercise are. The more laxity, the less important. It really depends on each individual because even some virgin scalps can be tight albeit rare.

And yes, the strip revision cases are vital to be doing these exercises to gain as much laxity as possible prior to surgery.

I know of some guys in need of repair that did these for a solid year before having their strip scars revised. :rolleyes:

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

The Dr. was Rosanelli located in the Bay Area here.

He was a real nice fellow and was upfront albeit a bit brief. Most likely because it was toward the end of day.

I've already had one surgery prior, so based on everyones input i would have thought the doc would have more openly suggested scalp exercises to help with graft figures in the future. However, he alluded that the exercises really don't hold much merit above a hundred or so additional grafts.

Most members here suggest the exercises are beneficial and I would tend to agree, so I am just curious why Rosanelli might have chosen this stance so firmly. If there are any facts or experiences to back them up, I would be open to reviewing them. I will be doing the exercises regardless though.

He did quote me at about 2,500 grafts max for my procedure, but said when we actually 'get in there' and see what hes working with, he may be able to harvest more.

I know that everyone is different, but I'm just shocked I was only quoted around 2,500 grafts when I see so many cases of large sessions doing 5,000+

• 1 year later...

Does everyone do laxity exercises the exact same way, or are there different ways to do them?

What are the most effective? Why?

Are there any studies on this?

I'm scheduled for my HT soon, and I'm not sure I'm doing them right or getting any benefit. It seems like my hands tend to slide over my hair, and the LAST thing I want to do is pull any out just so I can move some around, LOL.

3840 FUT grafts + Acell/PRP with Dr. Jerry Cooley April 17, 2014

And, I'll admit it - I'm trying the Help Hair Shake in my smoothies

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/174893-3-000-fut-my-visit-thursday-april-17-dr-cooley.html

Jotronic has a video. You can YouTube the words "scalp laxity exercises" and click on his video. It should be the first one that pops up.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Does everyone do laxity exercises the exact same way, or are there different ways to do them?

What are the most effective? Why?

Are there any studies on this?

I'm scheduled for my HT soon, and I'm not sure I'm doing them right or getting any benefit. It seems like my hands tend to slide over my hair, and the LAST thing I want to do is pull any out just so I can move some around, LOL.

If your hands are sliding over your hair then you are not using enough pressure. You have to be pressing your hands, the base of your palms, FIRMLY against the scalp and literally push your scalp up and then pull it back down. The improvement are small on a daily basis but they accumulate over time. Keep it up, they work.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I believe they do work and Jo's videos online are a good source on how to do them correctly

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Spanker, Jotronic, hsrp10 - Thanks!

My appointment is coming up, hopefully I can do enough to make a difference.

3840 FUT grafts + Acell/PRP with Dr. Jerry Cooley April 17, 2014

And, I'll admit it - I'm trying the Help Hair Shake in my smoothies

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/174893-3-000-fut-my-visit-thursday-april-17-dr-cooley.html