How long to wait for 1st hair cut?

jcpwn2004,

At one month post-op you are good to go for a haircut. a #8 equates to about 1 inch and should be just fine for concealing your donor scar.

Good luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

IMHO, you want to wait until your donor area has healed which almost always takes longer than the recipient area to heal. For most, it's about a month post-op as the other guys stated.

And be sure to inform your hair stylist/barber to be careful cutting around the strip scar. Even at one month post-op, the strip scar is still tender for most of us and my stylist one time hit my scar with her comb and it really stung! :eek:

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I might wait another week but my sides are starting to look pretty shaggy compared to the top of my hair. I really hope my donor area will still be covered, it's pretty essential for me since I work in an environment were i see people up close and personal.

Here's a picture of my back today. I'm hoping that I can even it out, so afraid of donor showing through though or possible shock loss :(.

back.jpg.357b183a0cd0a49e8f4ae28610f855d9.jpg

I would suggest avoiding the buzzer and asking your barber to use scissors. That way if it gets a bit too short it's not too late and you can still hide the scar well. With that being said a #8 buzzer is quite long and you should be ok, but remember your scar hasn't had much time to heal so it's bigger now than it will be in about 5 months.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I tell patients that after all of the scabs have fallen offthey can get a haircut, but they certainly need to tell the person cutting the hair to be very careful not to damage donor area and leave enough hair back there to camoflage things.

I actually got into the chair and was about to break it down for her. She started combing my hair and bam, she hit my donor. I had to stop her and tell her what was up.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Like the others have said: make sure the person cutting your hair is very careful, with the scissors and the comb. #8 should be more than enough length to hide a strip scar, but if you have temporary shockloss in the area there's a chance it'll be partially visible.

Don't be afraid to tell the stylist what you've had done. Go to someone out of town if you're bothered about your regular one knowing.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com