Taking out staples/sutures/stitches? Dr. Feller patient

I'm 2 weeks post op with Dr. Feller and as it's not ideal to pop back over to the USA from UK to get the staples out of my head, I thought I'd seek some advice.

I had both parents and a friend were there upon attempted removal. It took a lot of force and felt quite uncomfortable before finally 1 staple was removed, this took a lot of time and bled a little. It didn't hurt but apparently it didn't seem 'ready' to come out, the scar is still very red, it took a lot of force to prise it out. Is this normal?

I read on here that it's very easy to remove them. I don't know if my parents were just too concerned to pull too hard or if it really doesn't seem the right time to pull them out. Either way, things didn't seem right and we decided to postpone the removal until asking the hair veterans advice! Thoughts, please?

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

I had my staples removed by dr fellers office, they came out fairly easily but it did pinch and hurt slightly. And your scar may very well be red for quite sometime. After 2 weeks I'm assuming your scar has properly healed to the point where the staples can come out. I would contact spex or feller and see what they say. Also, go on YouTube, I am sure there are staple removal videos on there. Good luck man, it really feels great to finally get those things out of your head!

It should be easy and there could be a small abount of blood. Do you have a staple removal tool?

That is really gonna make it easier. If so, YouTube surgical staple removal and the first one was a ht example.

Good luck.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XYJF3D3qfk

Thank you! This has helped loads.....didn't realise there was a certain way of doing it, this video explained everything. Most coming out easy now, thank you for the replies gentleman!

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Like you I am having my surgery far away from home, so I contacted a respected local plastic surgeon in my hometown and asked if his office could remove my staples two weeks after my surgery. Rather than use my geneal practitioner I wanted someone very familiar with surgery and scar healing. It may be "over-kill", but with a large session involving a lot of staples, I just prefer it this way over using my brother or a friend.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

If a disposable staple removal kit was not given to you then you need to find a local clinic that will give or sell you one. There should be inexpensive and will allow the staples to be reoved easily with minimal discomfort and bleeding. Taking the staples out with a inproper tool is not recommended and will certainly cause more pain.

Thank you for the replies.

Dr. Charles I have got the staple removal tool, all but 8 have come out but these 8 are really painful and seem stuck in. Going to have to go to my GP or find a nurse or something.

If not your GP then go to your nearest A&E (when it's relatively quiet) and explain to the nurses booking you in that you had an operation overseas and are experiencing some discomfort.

Once you're with the doc just explain what you've had done. I'm sure they wouldnt refuse taking the staples out for you. They can't really turn you away!

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Yep gentlemen you're right, gonna have to go to a doctor tomorrow. There's 3 left that are incredibly painful, they are hanging out and just wont budge. Worst pinching kind of pain ever when we try to get them out. Argh!