survey on finasteride

wb280

Hi all! I'm a 35 year old hair loss sufferer and having a really difficult time deciding whether or not to take Finasteride. It seems to me that more and more people are sporting permanent side effects

The credibility of your feedback will be much higher than those u read in Merck websites or related. And i really appreciate if any of you can share your experience and help me in making this decision.

1. How long have you been on Finasteride?

2. Have you experiencing side effects? If yes, what are the side effects?

3. Did you quite the drug once the side effects came up?

4. Did the side effects go away after you quite?

5. What is your overall feedback on this drug?

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

Since 01 April 2012

A dull headache / spaced out feeling after the first 5 days on 1mg per day.

Possibly some loss of libido, but who wouldnt with a headache!

No. Reduced the dose to 0.5mg every other day, then 0.25mg.

There is still a slight sensation of being 'spaced out' but this is subsiding everytime I take the drug. I take it in the evening so it wears off overnight.

It dramatically stopped the rate at which my hair sheds. I'm on Regaine and have noticed some good results and a bit of regrowth.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

my experience was awful - took propecia for about 6 months. Side effects kicked in after a few weeks of taking 1mg per day, I reduced to 1 mg per week and side effects continued to get worse - starting with a change in sexual function and watery semen and ending in complete impotence. Came off the dug and it took nearly 2 years for complete normal function to return - semen continued to be watery and lumpy for some time. My opinion is that for some people this drug messes up hormon levels and is extremely dangerous - the drug did reduce hair shedding but didnt see any re-growth - at the end of the day it is your choice but I would never touch the stuff again

Took it for 3 and a half years stopping in October last year.

Not at first. Just reduced watery semen and a couple of darting pains when starting up. Huge side effects kicked in after 3 and a half years.

Yes. Massive loss of libido etc kicked in after 3 and a half years.

4. Did the side effects go away after you quit?

Im 8 months off and i think now i am slowly getting back to normal now. Big improvement in last 2 months. Went for Blood work. My free testosterone level was half of what it should be for someone my age.

Agree with the above poster. Extremley dangerous for some people and i dont think we know the half of what the long terms effects are. Never going near it again.

Ps The drug ' i think' may have helped stabilised loss but no regrowth and i even thinned slightly in crown while on it.

1. 6 years.

2. No sides except for slight testicle pain for first 2 weeks. Went away - never came back.

3. No.

4. NA

5. It has saved a lot of my hair. Should have gotten on it sooner.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

1. 5 years

2. No side effects

3. No

4.No

5. Great and the best non surgical treatment currently available.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Finasteride is a long term commitment and if you stop taking the drug, any gains you have made you will lose.

Finasteride is good for slowing down or in some cases halting/stopping hair loss and transplants are used to regain your hair in the balding areas by distributing your donor supply efficiently.

But it is a long term commitment so you have to weigh up all the positives and negatives.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

thanks guys for the input! What i have gathered is finas is defn the most powerful weapon against MPB right now, and the side effects are very real and do occur to a small handful of users.. I guess the key will be how much hair matters to each individual and whether that risk is worth taking..

My question now is this, lets say i take a very small dosage, like 1 pill a week, for lets say months, does it still help a bit? Or is there a very strict dosage we need to adhere to for any effect to take place?

thanks!

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

That's hard to say. I know some people who have been on the drugs for many years get by with just one dose a week or so. But maybe to start it would be better to do one ever other day or .25/.50mg every day and taper upwards.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

that sounds quite scary. i am really worried abt the sides so probably i will take it really slowly like 0.25mg once a week for a month first... some dosage is better than none and i will take it from there

I will probably do a series of tests first PRIOR to any consumption so that i can actually measure the levels numerically rather than leave it to psychology

Any parameters that i should take note of?

Absoloutly make sure you get all your blood work done before starting up on the drug. That way you have base line results to refer back to should you experience bad side effects.

This is something a lot of people dont point out enough to you.

Zenmonk has another thread in this section of his test results which just about covers everything as below.

Bloods:

Liver function tests (LFTs): all within normal range

Testosterone, serum: within normal range

Testosterone, free: within normal range

Thyroid profile: within normal range

Estradiol, serum: within normal range

Follicle-Stimulating Hormone (FSH): within normal range

Prolactin: within normal range

Lutenizing Hormone (LH): within normal range

Sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG): within normal range

PSA: within normal range

DHEA: slightly below normal range

Semen Analysis: all normal

My question now is this, lets say i take a very small dosage, like 1 pill a week, for lets say months, does it still help a bit? Or is there a very strict dosage we need to adhere to for any effect to take place?

thanks!

I read (on Dr bernstein's website possibly) that the half life of finasteride is about 6-8 hours but the effect it has lasts for 30 days.

Smaller doses won't block as much DHT. Spex posted a chart showing 80% DHT blocking affect with 1mg+ daily doses. 0.5mg was about 70%, 0.25mg 60%...

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

matt, point taken. However, i am sure u are aware of the recent mayhem associated with finas and Merck in particular. No matter the argument, nobody can dispute the fact that it did cause some permanent health issues for some, so i am taking a very precautious approach. Hopefully i do not belong to that small category guys.

It would be more assuring if more finas users can contribute to this thread! :)

1. around 9 years (started when I was 23,various brands used: propecia and generics)

2. no sides at all

3. n/a

4. n/a

5. has saved alot of my hair,reduced my hairloss