Di i need HT now?

At the age of 22 i have reached Type IV ( hair loss on the front side and thin hair on the top...)

Do i need HT right now?

If yes, then what would yo like to prefer me?

FUT or FUE or Neograft etc.

I am from India, and please advice me a good surgeon available here in Mumbai.

Whether you need one or not is up to you as nobody actually needs a hair transplant. It's a personal decision that a hairloss sufferer makes on the basis of how much their hair bothers them.

Forget the Neograft. With your amount of hairloss you should probably forget about FUE too as it's likely that only FUT could provide the number of grafts needed. You can search the site and find surgeons based in India. (I'm not sure which city they are in).

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Hi NPK,

You seem to have lost much(type-4) of your hair at very Young age(22).

As me being 24, recently undergone FUT. i can suggest you to go for FUT which can assure you of good results at low price compared to other techniques.

As you are also from India, there are only 2 doctors recommended in India.

Dr Madhu(Hyderabad) and Dr.Radha Rani(Vishakapatnam).

Try contacting both of them and choose your surgeon.

I recently underwent a FUT procedure with Dr.Radha. You can send me a private message for other details.

All the Best.

First HT with Dr. Radha Rani on 04/26/2012

Single - 514

Doubles - 2130

Triples- 230

Total Grafts = 2874

Total Hair = 5464

I am not sure wether its type IV , but i will upload my pics soon.

I have heard so many positive reports from Dr.Rahal's patients in this forum, which he had an outlet here in India.

@Rockstar

Well, thanks for your reply , but i am seriously scared about FUT method, as they are going to remove a strip, then the question is why to select Strip method when when there are many scarless methods available! And how much do Dr.Madhu charge for per graft?

Hi NPK,

Dont worry about strip method, scar will be absolutely undetectable if surgeon does it properly. I am from India, I can suggest Dr. Radha Rani as she has excellent results so far. I am infact planning HT with her very soon

If you want to eliminate scar FUE technique is available.

Right now you are in the same stage when I was 22 like you. Now I am 27 and lost almost all hair. It may not be very urgent for you to go through HT. But remember, natural hair once starts falling it will continue, but transplanted hair will remain for ever.

aaraam se socho! there are few medications too available in the market you can try those to keep the remainig hair for some time.

Over all, the sooner you make a decision for HT the sooner you will have happy days :)

Looking at the pics, your Hairloss is predominantly at the temples area..

You can easily have a great result with minimum number of grafts.

As AllAboutHair has already suggested, start using some medicines so that your existing hair will remain from falling or atleast will slow down falling.

First HT with Dr. Radha Rani on 04/26/2012

Single - 514

Doubles - 2130

Triples- 230

Total Grafts = 2874

Total Hair = 5464

IMHO, the best thing to do right now is see if you can stabilize the loss you are experiencing. You are definitely headed for class 7 if you do not get on effective hairloss meds.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Get on Meds asap . In a year take a look and see if you have maintained what you have now , then make an educated decision on where to go from there.. who knows maybe histogen will pan out , between them and a transplant I have hopes we could all have a full head of hair again .

Whatever you do , don't make a hasty decision . I know its tough as hell .. but dont make the same mistake I did .

Looking at the pics, your Hairloss is predominantly at the temples area..

You can easily have a great result with minimum number of grafts.

As AllAboutHair has already suggested, start using some medicines so that your existing hair will remain from falling or atleast will slow down falling.

NPK

I wouldn't pay much attention to this statement. I'm not trying to discredit this post but you are not gonna need " minimum number of grafts " for a great result. It looks to me as if you have mid scalp thinning as well. First thing you need to do is stabilize the loss being at such a young age. Forget about a transplant for two years and get on propecia and rogaine.

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

You are pretty much where I was at 22 - though I may have been even worse. Definitely get on Finasteride and plan on taking it for the rest of your life. If you don't then you are probably not serious enough to start this endless battle against hair loss.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Thanks a lot for your replies ...

Actually it was all my fault, each time when i used to get itchy scalp and dandruff, i used to shave my head, and because of that the front region where i had thin hair never grew back again, and the dense area became more open and thin after shaving head, and i have been shaving my head since last 5 years.

I have tried everything to stop dandruff and itchy scalp, but nothing helped, what should i do now?

Currently i am taking radiance H capsules and fish oil capsules frm 2 weeks and use Ketoconazole 2% shampoo daily !! What medicine should i take now?

PS- First i tried Minoxidil , which gave me a bad result, my scalp use to get whitish dry because of that, and hairfall increased alot because of that, so i stopped using minoxidil!

Actualy its my problem, whenever i have shaved my head the thin hair never came back again in the temple region.

And now problem has got worst, my hair growth has slowed down.

Please suggest me medicines for hair growth, dandruff and itchy scalp until i go for plantation.

Realizing your 22 and you already have extensive hairloss in the front with signs of thinning already in the midscalp, you really can't make out how far you will progress. What's your family hairloss history like? It can give you an idea if hair restoration would be a smart move for you right now or later. If you do get it, you may need multiple procedures to keep up with the speed of hairloss. In some cases, some people are not candidates for it hair restoration. It doesn't hurt to get an opinion from a doctor by getting a consult. You may want to take a bunch of photos and just send them to Dr. Radha, as shown here http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/166089-dr-radha-2417-grafts-result-9-months.html (since you are also in India) and see what she says. Make sure the photos are clear and adequately show the loss from every angle. You may also want to try some medications to see if they help/assist in hair regrowth/stabilization. Start with rogaine and ask a doctor about finasteride. You can inquire about Dr. Reddy's Finax or Cipla's Finpecia and ask your doctor if you are able to tolerate it at such a young age. Since you are young, I wouldn't take it without confirming lab results with the doctor. You may or may not be able to tolerate it and it is a medicine some men are now cautious about due to Merck's Product Label mentioning possible sides. As shown here, http://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_circulars/p/propecia/propecia_ppi.pdf

Good Luck with everything.

Did the minoxidil you were using have propylene glycol in it as an added ingredient? If it did, it may be the reason you were itching as some people can't tolerate it for that same reason. There are other formulations out there available and you can find them by different manufacturers. How long did you use minoxidil before you saw hair fall? Minoxidil does cause a temporary initial minor shed in some people, but you have to really use it for a period of at least 6 months to see if it will work and to see the full benefit you have to be on the stuff for a year.

BTW, Why are you using 2% prescription strength ketoconazole shampoo daily? Most people only use it once or twice a week. That might also be causing excessive irritation on the scalp if you are overusing it.

I dont remember the ingredients of minoxydil .... all what i remember is i used for 3-4 months .... and there was lot of hairfall !!

And my scalp is very itchy since last 4-5 years !! I have tried many shampoos, first the dandruff and itching is gone ... and once i stop using shampoos again it comes back!!

I dont remember the ingredients of minoxydil .... all what i remember is i used for 3-4 months .... and there was lot of hairfall !!

And my scalp is very itchy since last 4-5 years !! I have tried many shampoos, first the dandruff and itching is gone ... and once i stop using shampoos again it comes back!!

I think if it was an older version of minoxidil, most likely it could have had Propylene Glycol in it causing the extra scalp irritation/dryness/itch. Some minoxidil suppliers these days will mention if their minoxidil is propylene glycol free or contains it.

Rogaine does cause hair shed because it induces your hair follicles to fall off and then puts them into the dormant phase temporarily. It's what some may call the dread shred period. This is just temporary shedding and you may notice extra hair fall during this time. It can last a few months and then energized thicker rejuvenated hairs sprout up. It takes time, that's why most people say wait at least 6 months to see the growth and then a year to see the final result of meds. If it doesn't work for you after one year of use, then it simply just wont work for you. From what I have read, FDA studies indicate a 85% success rate. When I got my transplant, I had my hair buzzed. The reason I buzzed it was because when I started rogaine, I would not notice much of a shed if my hairs were short. I know with longer hairs, the shedding period would really thin out my hairs. Months passed and then finally, my crown got stronger, and my hairs overall got stronger and thicker in texture. I feel it was from rogaine but I was also using finasteride as well as some other herbal/health supplements for hair health in general.

I know you mentioned you tried a lot of shampoos for the itch/dandruff. What about a product called Neutrogena T GEL shampoo? In my opinion, every day use of 2% Ketoconazole may be too much. 2% is actually for like serious inflammation in the scalp and is considered prescription strength. It's a pretty harsh shampoo. The 1% Ketoconazole shampoo some people can tolerate on an every other day use. Do you keep the Ketoconazole shampoo on the scalp for 5 to 10 minutes? You usually have to keep it in for such a time for it to take effect too.

These threads may help you:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/159694-itchy-scalp-hairloss.html

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/159365-help-me-guys-dht-present-my-scalp-2.html

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/161090-itching-where-thinning.html

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164859-nizoral-useful.html

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/154221-rogaine-foam-2.html

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/162337-itching-while-using-minoxidil.html

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/138129-itchy-scalp.html

Good Luck!

@Sean

Thanks alot buddy, i really feel happy that for years i remained upset and nervous because of baldness and now users like u take out time to help on these issues.

Btw, is Rogaine available in India if yes then by which company or name? And what if the hair sheds and never comes back? I m scared! Will it atleast fillup the gaps between thin hair?

No prob buddy. I think Cipla makes rogaine under the name Tugain. They also have Tugain foam 5% you may want to check out. Best thing to do is to check out the ingredients section in any brand of minoxidil for Propylene Glycol. Make sure you try to avoid that. I personally use the Rogaine foam and find it is much better then the solution for me. The liquid solution sometimes gets messy.

Hairs do come back after they wake up from dormant phase. Once you stop using Rogaine, then you could lose the newly grown hairs forever. So, once you start, it's like a commitment but if you don't see effects in a year, then discontinue it. This is a game where you have to have a lot of patience. It wont make a change immediately but give it a few months it just very well may. Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I do not believe that minoxidil has any effect on the rate of growth, but IMHO do believe it can help bring some dormant follicles into the growth phase.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY