Would Dr. Shapiro Ever Allow Body Hair FUE?

Has Dr. Shapiro ever allowed a patient that has exhausted his donor reserves to use body hair transplants via FUE?

If not, would Dr. Shapiro ever consider allowing small-scale Body Hair FUE to be performed at SMG, if the patient had realistic growth expectations?

Thanks in advance.

I am sure Janna will answer that question for you.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Dr. Shapiro seems like the kind of doctor that would be curious about what his results would be, provided the patient understands all the pros and cons.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

If he would do BHT (at least Beard Hair), I will be the first one to go to him to put some Beard hair into my revised scar.

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

Has Dr. Shapiro ever allowed a patient that has exhausted his donor reserves to use body hair transplants via FUE?

If not, would Dr. Shapiro ever consider allowing small-scale Body Hair FUE to be performed at SMG, if the patient had realistic growth expectations?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

The short answer is yes. We have done more beard hair extractions but have taken from the chest as well. We feel the beard hairs are better donor hairs but the supply is very limited as we only take from under the chin.

Ms. Janna, thats the really interesting. I never knew that before. Have you posted any results after using Beard hair (BHT)? Can you show me some examples please? Also how much does SMG charge for BHT? Let me know please.

My Hair Treatments:

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

WOW this is news to me, never thought SMG would do BHT

Is there shift in HT industry where BHT is slowly becoming viable option?

I know you guys dont market BHT like Dr Umar does but seems to be more popular then ever before. i think Alan Bauman also uses BHT but doesnt really advertize as much

Is beard hair best used for the crown? What is price and yield

WOW this is news to me, never thought SMG would do BHT

Is there shift in HT industry where BHT is slowly becoming viable option?

I know you guys dont market BHT like Dr Umar does but seems to be more popular then ever before. i think Alan Bauman also uses BHT but doesnt really advertize as much

Is beard hair best used for the crown? What is price and yield

As I understand it, the majority of surgeons can perform BHT. However, the vast majority advise against it or would only recommend it in extreme situations or as a last resort. I would say the consensus amongst the more experienced guys is that BHT does not look as natural as a normal hair transplant so it's something to be mindful of.

Things like scar revisions are perhaps the exception but even then normal hair would produce a better result. I don't think there is a trend towards BHT due to many factors such as its different texture and consequently lesser results.

• 5 weeks later...

When speaking about beard hair can hair be taken safely from around the adam's apple area or only just below the chin?

How many beard hairs can be extracted on a typical male?

When used as filler what is the best blend per cm2 of head hair and beard hair?

Using Propecia since 1997

Using Rogaine Foam once a day since 2012

Using Niazoral 2% once a week since 2012

I have had over 2000 beard hairs removed from my face with Dr Bisanga at BHR . The growth has been excellent and im scheduled for my third repair procedure in November .

The hair is slightly courser in texture , i had 212 beard hairs grafted into my forlock , Im expecting to get another three thousand grafts at least from my beard to repair the ` horrific scaring caused by strip Drs ` .

hope this helps

ej

Thanks EJ. Wow...I didn't realized so many hairs can be used from beard hair. 5000 beard hairs, which I've read are 2-3 times the thickness of head hair, could then cover about 100 cm2 on our heads assuming 50 grafts/cm2? Even if used as filler hair (which is what most seem to recommend here) that seems like really good coverage.

Does your beard hair take on the characteristics of your natural head hair or does it appear different (more coarse)?

Is the growth rate and cycle the same as your natural head hair?

Have you seen any pitting or scarring in the areas in your beard where FUE was done?

I wouldn't mind removing beard hair around my lower neck as I hate shaving that area (by the Adam's apple). Just curious how low on the neck the doctor can extract from without hitting any arteries or vital structures.

Thanks!

Using Propecia since 1997

Using Rogaine Foam once a day since 2012

Using Niazoral 2% once a week since 2012

EJ strategy in treating a scar is very smart. Beard FUE is the best option to cover HT scars. Even if beard hair texture and growth rate is different than a normal hair, who would ever think to stare at the back of your head? Everybody cares about hairline at first and then crown while donor area isnt that big deal. Plus the beard hair grafts in the scar would be covered by normal hair just like how we conceal our scars these days. Its really impressive when we know that we can get around 3000 single grafts from our beard area. After my scar revision to reduce the thickness of my scar next year, I would definitely follow the approach of EJ and would place as much of beard hair into my scar. Even many are worried of white dots then the least a person can do is FUE out beard hair under the chin area and that's what Im planning to do and not the cheek area. That would probably be done with Dr. Jose Lorenzo or Bisanga maybe one day around 2015 or later. But it wouldnt be necessary if Aderans or Histogen or Replicel produce something by 2015.

Edited by HARIRI

My Hair Treatments:

I have no visible pitting or marks from the extractions . Punch size used was .8mm manual . Im lucky as i have a dense beard and characteristics are suitable , not everyone is suitable , cycle appears to be good same as facial hair , have not noticed any differences . My beard hair is coarser , good for repair, not good on the hairline

Best way forward is to assess how you grow and heal with say 100 grafts from under the chin and go from there , see how they grow and how your chin would heal

hope this helps

ej

have no visible pitting or marks from the extractions . Punch size used was .8mm manual . Im lucky as i have a dense beard and characteristics are suitable , not everyone is suitable , cycle appears to be good same as facial hair , have not noticed any differences . My beard hair is coarser , good for repair, not good on the hairline

Best way forward is to assess how you grow and heal with say 100 grafts from under the chin and go from there , see how they grow and how your chin would heal

Very intelligent post. Its important for people to know the limitations with all techniques. Its good advice to start small and see what your healing characteristics are. This is something that a doctor has no control over and every patient is different.

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson