UPDATED: Photos -- 3800 grafts w/ Dr. Hasson

hair_me_out

Megatron,

Filling in the temples and simply strengthening them are two entirely different things. Filling the temples restores the temple closure that is found on women and juvenile men. Dr. Hasson simply brought the temples forward so that the profile of the patient is balanced. This is a far too often overlooked necessity for some patients in my opinion.

The hairlines for hair_me_out, jmg544 and sparse are still mature and age appropriate and not lowered too much but because the sides of the hairline had receded so much they needed to be addressed to match the placement of the new hairline. Had the hairline been higher then the temples would not have been brought forward as much.

I hope this makes sense.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've looked through the blogs on Dr. Hasson's homepage. A lot of very impressive results there. No doubt he's definitely one of the top docs out there.

I'm still unsure about the temple strengthening / lowering / bringing forward or whatever you want to call it. Bottom line, it looks fantastic, but I wonder if there's a risk as these guys age that the hair will recede behind it. This would not only create an unnatural look, but once you commit to the temples than I guess you've got to chase them all the way back, hence creating a greater demand on limited donor hairs.

This is a decision I'm going to have to make for myself in only 2 short days and I'm still on the fence about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I just updated my blog w/ my 3 month photos -- see below in my sig for the link. It's a pretty exciting time for me since at around the 2.5 month mark I started to see first signs of growth! Check out the photos and let me know what you think.

Take care,

hair_me_out

i really doubt dr hasson would steer anybody wrong interms of where he places the hairline. in most cases he is just strengthening it. u dont want to have a hairline halfway up your head. he has enough experience/results that i would take what he says over some random internet poster.

Originally posted by Megatron:

I'm still unsure about the temple strengthening / lowering / bringing forward or whatever you want to call it. Bottom line, it looks fantastic, but I wonder if there's a risk as these guys age that the hair will recede behind it. This would not only create an unnatural look, but once you commit to the temples than I guess you've got to chase them all the way back, hence creating a greater demand on limited donor hairs.

I understand your point on this but the dangers you speak of are no different than those taken on by anyone getting their first hair transplant. I always tell patients, once you have your first hair transplant be prepared to need another in "x" number of years. This is a simple fact of hair transplant life.

In addition, your point about having to continually chase the temple points is also understood, however temple points do not recede as far as the top of the scalp can. They usually stop at a point just in front of the front of the ear. Some recede further but it is rare. When compared to chasing the top which can recede from the hairline to the bottom of the crown the overall impact is not nearly as bad.

The two things that are uber important with temple point reconstruction is the incision angle and the hair type. Incision angles must be as flat as possible and they are best made with custom blades. The hair type should be average at most as finer hairs make for more natural temple points. Coarse hair should not be used in most cases.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

so joe what do u do with patients who have coarser thicker hair? also didn't you say that u havent really seen patients come back to h&W b/c they gradually lost more hair over time (not applying to the frontal areas tho)?

Originally posted by phil mascallpen:

Looks very good HMO. I think the short cut definitely helps. If I didn't have the old HT scarring I'd do the same thing. Has anyone asked about your scar?

Been wearing a cap, so no one's seen the scar. Do you mean you won't be able to keep it short from a separate HT from Dr. Hasson's or just having HT's in general? I'm curious about how short I'll be able to clip my sides in the future while not showing the scar. It'll take some experimentation probably.

Originally posted by hair_me_out:

Do you mean you won't be able to keep it short from a separate HT from Dr. Hasson's or just having HT's in general?

Previous HT from Bosley. I have open donor scarring below the strip scar and if I cut it too short there are white scars about 2mm in diameter.

Sucks because I've seen some good strip HTs where the patient can have a nice taper from the neck up and the scar is not too visible. In fact Bill's donor looks pretty good short and he's had 4 strips.

• 4 weeks later...

HMO I have a similar disparity between right and left. My right side seems to be about twice as thick as the left side.

I remember when the techs were placing the grafts and Jody was on the right side and I felt like she was much more focused on the task and gentle with the grafts than the other techs (not that they weren't focused per se, just that she was much more so). She ended up placing probably 2/3 or more of the right side.

I asked if they ever switch sides and they said for the most part they do not.

I've also read blogs of other Hasson patients who wrote that their right side came in better. Do you recall if Jody was one of your techs?

Hey Phil....Jody was one of my techs and she was working on the left side. I agree that she was really focused compared to the other 3 - 4 techs that worked on me that day (that's not a shot at them). I'm sure both sides will even out when it's all said and done.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Just wanted to respond to labrat69's comments on the blog, here too. The scar area looks "indented" -- this is probably due to hat hair and the fact that my shave job in the back was very poor.

Do I ever think that the scar will be less visible and an option at this hair length? I really don't know -- I guess we'll see in 8 more months time. 1/4" may be pushing it now but we'll see how it comes out in the end.

Phil: I'm not sure which tech was Jody and whether she worked on me or not. What I do know is that no single tech did all or most of the work on one side. They seemed to come in a couple different shifts. Let's hope things even out and this isn't an issue in the coming months -- it is early yet.

• 1 month later...

Hey jmg, fellow Hasson patient. I wear a hat and plan to do so for about 3 more months -- so the scar isn't a big deal for me. I've been cutting it to this length in order for the comparison photos to show clearly. I thought at this length it'd be easier to track the progress since you can see how individual hairs are growing. I plan to grow it out in a couple months from now.

BTW, you and I had extremely similar patterns and treatment w/ Dr Hasson. I've been following your progress and it has been inspiring. Your hair is looking great -- hope mine looks like that in a few months.

hair_me_out

Phil: I'm not sure which tech was Jody and whether she worked on me or not. What I do know is that no single tech did all or most of the work on one side. They seemed to come in a couple different shifts.

Yes, they work in shifts of two, working from front to back.

From the (admittedly small) sample of comments here, it sounds like more H&W patients have had better growth on the right versus left side . . . that's been my experience, as well.

Although I'm quite happy with my result, growth is a bit thicker overall on the right. In fact, there's an area on the left about an inch behind the hairline - it's an oval about an inch in diameter - where the yield is noticeably lower. (It's pretty see-through there when combed the wrong way.)

I was in the chair for about 14 hours (napping for part of it), and at least 4 different techs worked on the left side, so I have no idea who worked on that particular area . . . and, of course, it's also quite possible that the lower yield had nothing to do with the techs (i.e., could be due to any number of other factors). Still, it's an interesting pattern of results if the left-vs-right side disparity turns out to be widespread - especially given the fact that some techs tend to work only on the left side.

Looking good HMO. I've lost the hat at work and have had a few comments but I mostly just say "changed my haircut" and then change the subject.

As far as the left versus right thing when I asked the techs they said they mostly stayed on one side because it was easier once they became used to placing from a particular side. My left side still seems to have more areas where grafts have not come in but I hope the next 3 months will sort that out.