Propecia Lawsuit Solicitation

Ok so it's 3am Chicago time right now and I have the TV on in the background and I hear the word "Propecia"and my ears perk up. It's a commercial for a personal injury law firm that is recruiting "victims" of Propecia for a class action lawsuit against Merck. Since I just started taking Finasteride last month this got me thinking once again about the true risk of taking this drug. Is Merck hiding serious risks associated with this drug? Am I a fool for taking it? Is this all just a bunch of bullshit that is getting exploited by our usual litigious culture? What's the truth and what's not?

If you look on the internet you can find horror stories about any and every drug out there. For instance I take a drug called Kenalog by injection once every four months or so to control nasal polyps and help me breathe better. I looked on the internet for side effects and came across many boards discussing the drug. They were primarily overwhelmingly negative and discussed how this drug ruined people's live etc... I think you can find horror stories about any drug, the problem for me is that not every drug has class action lawsuits brought about against it.

I'm not sure what my point is here other than to say I am having serious doubts about Finasteride at this point. I haven't experienced any negative sides that I know of so far so it's all a bit confusing.

Ok end of rant, any thoughts?

..They were primarily overwhelmingly negative and discussed how this drug ruined people's live etc... I think you can find horror stories about any drug, the problem for me is that not every drug has class action lawsuits brought about against it.

I'm not sure what my point is here other than to say I am having serious doubts about Finasteride at this point. I haven't experienced any negative sides that I know of so far so it's all a bit confusing.

Ok end of rant, any thoughts?

like you said,there are horror stories about any drug even vitamin c and aspirin.people like to blame finasterdie for any problem they have from depression to headache and impotence..

I've been using finasteride for almost 10 years now and never had ANY problems.

and I know at least 2 people using it long term without any issues.

I believe side effects only effect a low percentage and even in those group they are mostly temporarily.

by not using it you will loose more hair and at a very fast rate.

true horror story would be losing remaining hairs and ending up bald.that would be great depression and with that comes in low libido,impotense etc for many.

also Merck is not the only company making this medication,there are generic forms used by millions of people around the world,so these law suit attemps are pointless imo.I've heard this year Mercks patent on propecia expires.this means other companies can make their version of 1 MG Finasterdie in the US making it very cheap and affordable just like other companies already do.countries where US laws are not practiced.(like India,Middle East,etc)which is good news.

Most people do not, it seems, have side effects.

I on the other hand:

- Prostate pain. This was absolutely linked to the drug. Take it, even in reduced quantities, get pain. Stop taking it, pain goes away. Reduce the dose, problem reduces.

- Sexual side effects. Loss of libido that does not go away when you stop taking the drug.

The chances are you'll be part of the large group not affected. But if you experience side effects, my personal advice is stop.

Furthermore, I don't believe the long-term effects are well enough understood as there have need no studies over (say) 20 years. That's not to say that there will be problems, just that until studies are completed we won't know.

Google 'propecia impotence' for more stories.

4800+ grafts, Dr Bisanga, Brussels, Oct 2012

My Photos

I don't think barely any drugs are tested over 20 years :)

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Most people do not, it seems, have side effects.

I on the other hand:

- Prostate pain. This was absolutely linked to the drug. Take it, even in reduced quantities, get pain. Stop taking it, pain goes away. Reduce the dose, problem reduces.

- Sexual side effects. Loss of libido that does not go away when you stop taking the drug.

The chances are you'll be part of the large group not affected. But if you experience side effects, my personal advice is stop.

Furthermore, I don't believe the long-term effects are well enough understood as there have need no studies over (say) 20 years. That's not to say that there will be problems, just that until studies are completed we won't know.

Google 'propecia impotence' for more stories.

As dour as this assessment is you bring up a very crucial point and one that has me a bit uncomfortable: the fact is that this drug is still fairly new on the scene. It hasn't been around for long and what nobody really knows what happens to your system after you have taken it for 15-20 years. In a sense the people that have been taking it for 10 years are the test subjects going forward.

Idk, I guess the bottom line is that we all need to weigh the risks and benefits, monitor the side effects and make choices. I don't mean t be a worry wort here... just thinking out loud.

I've been taking 1.25mg of finasteride for over ten years and I'm fine but there are some people that finasteride doesn't go well with but these unlucky people usually find out quite quickly as it hits them hard and it's usually sexually related. Like any drugs there's always some people that are allergic so just try and find out.

Oh I say I'm alright but I did notice my legs fell off 2 days after taking the drug but I presumed that was standard lol. You'll be fine mate!

Edited by bonkerstonker

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

I've been taking 1.25mg of finasteride for over ten years and I'm fine but there are some people that finasteride doesn't go well with but these unlucky people usually find out quite quickly as it hits them hard and it's usually sexually related. Like any drugs there's always some people that are allergic so just try and find out.

Oh I say I'm alright but I did notice my legs fell off 2 days after taking the drug but I presumed that was standard lol. You'll be fine mate!

Lmao... ty brother I needed that!

Any time sir!

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

Glad you posted this because I'm having second thoughts about continuing not really because of sexual side effects but because of slight increase in risk of high grade prostate cancer. That's serious stuff. FDA mentioned it last year and my ears have perked up. Fact is like what was said earlier these drugs haven't been around long enough to assess long term side effects. My opinion is that drug companies can put out drugs like vioxx, stations and make billions. When lawsuits arise, they can always settle the case and and still make a nice profit. Its a business decision. Now just because there's a lawsuit it doesn't mean that its a winning lawsuit but it also cannot absolutely be discounted as frivolous.

N-6

With that study the FDA also concluded that there was a good chance that proscar reduced the chance of low grade prostate cancers....

With ANY drug there is gonna be side effects....for some people....if you go take any drug they are gonna have a list of sides....in the BIG picture though, I think the FDA does a great job in protecting us from serious sides.....

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

people like to blame finasterdie for any problem they have from depression to headache and impotence..

That's equivalently stupid as stating that you feel side-effects yet keep ignoring them. I am sure there are a lot of people in denial. They'll have to deal with it sooner than later. People that authentically do not feel side-effects are lucky. But For the sake of people that do feel side-effects, stating that there's no other situation but pure paranoia and psychological suggestion that they feel the side-effects is not only offensive but dangerously misleading. There is plenty of evidence on the side-effects, in fact it is on the very Propecia manual.

Do yourself and the community a favour and talk about your experiences and people that you know in person and meet frequently, but abstain from talking about people suffering from side-effects, as clearly you have no clue what you are talking about. Avoiding bias is clearly not your specialty. You are just justifying taking the pill and feel comfortable about it, while misinforming other readers, and offending side-effects sufferers.

A few things to look over ...

Consolidation of Propecia Class Action Lawsuits

Japanese Study Reevaluating the Safety and Efficacy of Propecia

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thanks for posting that Blake....that is two huge studies and both seem to indicate the safe usage of finasteride...I know some people experience sides,and I do feel for them, but I think all and all propecia is a very safe drug!!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Glad you posted this because I'm having second thoughts about continuing not really because of sexual side effects but because of slight increase in risk of high grade prostate cancer. That's serious stuff. FDA mentioned it last year and my ears have perked up. Fact is like what was said earlier these drugs haven't been around long enough to assess long term side effects. My opinion is that drug companies can put out drugs like vioxx, stations and make billions. When lawsuits arise, they can always settle the case and and still make a nice profit. Its a business decision. Now just because there's a lawsuit it doesn't mean that its a winning lawsuit but it also cannot absolutely be discounted as frivolous.

One of the problems with trying to make an informed decison about Finasteride is that there are so many studies that can prove just about any point of view. Here is a National Institutes of Health Author Manuscript published that examined 15,000 men and found that Finasteride had no impact on high grade prostate cancer and may in fact reduce its risk:

Finasteride Does Not Increase the Risk of High-grade Prostate Cancer: A Bias-adjusted Modeling Approach

It really is confusing as one can find the data to back up both sides of the argument. So again it leaves us back at square one in our decision making process. If I had to make an absolute choice between my sexual health and being bald I would chose my sexual health all day, but clearly the choice is not absolute.

Yes newhair the study did say a 25% decrease in low grade prostate cancer BUT an increase in high grade cancer is troubling for me. High grade cancers are much more dangerous because they spread quicker to other parts of the body which makes treatment more complex and can decrease survival rate. The only slight comfort I take is in the fact that the study involved proscar which had fin and was administered at 5 Mg daily. The fin I had been taking was only 1 Mg and even then it was 3 times per week. I have doubts about the FDAs credibility because many of their advisers are former big pharmacy staff and heads. Lots of conflict and I could easily see drugs being passed off as safe short term just so companies can continue to churn out big profits.

Is there a possibilty that Finasteride will not be able to be purchased at some point in the future, what's peoples opinions on that one?

I've taken Propecia for 2 years and i haven't lost much hair since i started, with no sides that i didn't have already (of those) that can be associated with taking the drug ie depression, low labido, low self estem etc etc and none of which i blame on the drug, i already suffered with these ao called sides, go figure!!

Also I'm not sure how relevant the Japanese study is to western men because japanese men are known to have less issues with prostate to begin with becausr of their lifestyle. Its apples to oranges comparison.

That's equivalently stupid as stating that you feel side-effects yet keep ignoring them. I am sure there are a lot of people in denial. They'll have to deal with it sooner than later. People that authentically do not feel side-effects are lucky. But For the sake of people that do feel side-effects, stating that there's no other situation but pure paranoia and psychological suggestion that they feel the side-effects is not only offensive but dangerously misleading. There is plenty of evidence on the side-effects, in fact it is on the very Propecia manual.

Do yourself and the community a favour and talk about your experiences and people that you know in person and meet frequently, but abstain from talking about people suffering from side-effects, as clearly you have no clue what you are talking about. Avoiding bias is clearly not your specialty. You are just justifying taking the pill and feel comfortable about it, while misinforming other readers, and offending side-effects sufferers.

calm down,I never said people who claim to have side effects are paranoid,I said there are people who link any unusual condition they have to this medication without any scientific or medical basis.

with finasteride there are side effects which will effect some people but not all,and a small percentage of them.

using this medication or any medication in general should be after consulting with a doctor of course..and anyone experiencing side effects should stop using it..

with finasteride there are side effects which will effect some people but not all,and a small percentage of them.

using this medication or any medication in general should be after consulting with a doctor of course..and anyone experiencing side effects should stop using it..

Nicely said!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Alix, that's true in general but the issue here is of the potential for permanent sexual dysfunction after discontinuing use. There is also the prostate cancer issue on which there seems to be conflicting data. Doctors can be well-intentioned but not always well-informed so a simple discussion with them about propecia's perceived pros and cons will not always be accurate or current. Beyond that, and I think this is significant, is that doctors and patients alike will not always know the long term side effects of a drug because the drug simply has not been around long enough for testing in that regard. I can only speak for myself but I had not heard of the potential for permanent sexual side effects or prostate cancer issue with propecia until very recently.

I wonder how many men who worry about taking Propecia smoke, drink alcohol, eat junk food and/or have any other vices that could screw up their insides and indeed their 'outsides', get a grip fellas!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been off the drug for few years now and honestly i think my hair loss (how slight it was)

is in real good condition. I felt mentally when i took the drug that it was keeping my hair until i stopped taking it for sometime,,, I personally am not a fan of the wonder drug any longer since not being on it for over 3 years has not had any negative impact whatsoever.

Interesting!