My experience with Finasteride...

NEWHAIRPLEASE

FWIW I just wanted to put my two cents in on finasteride...seems to be a hot topic around here these days....

Ive been taking off and on since 1992...yes, before there was propecia I was taking Proscar from the first Dr who performed my transplant at 18yo...at least that was one positive...back in 1992 he told me to take 1 pill(5mg) every other day...and he did say that dose will likely come down...well anyways, I got married and had two beautiful children, One boy, One girl while taking proscar...perfectly healthy children!!! Then, I got a little content with my life, meaning I got lazy and I would just randomly take a propecia pill here and there...nothing by scheduled...I might take one a week or 3 a month...no rhyme or reason to it!!! Well, this last year and a half I got back on full meds, rogaine and finasteride 2.5mg a day, EVERYDAY...I can honestly say in the 20 years Ive taken the drug, Ive had no sides that I can think of!! Sometimes I catch myself wondering if my sex drive may be down, POWER OF THE MIND IS UNBELIEVABLE, but then I also realize IM NOT 18 anymore!!!lol

All in all,my 20 years on finasteride have been great...I WISH I would have always been consistent taking the drug!!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

I have been taking propecia for approximately 7 to 8 years and in the past year my testosterone levels dropped significantly. I ended up going off meds for a year and T count went back to normal. Has anyone else experienced this side affect? I would like to go back on meds, any suggestions on dosage etc?... can i take 1mg everyother day instead of ounce a day and would this be effective to maintain exisitng hair?

Wow NHP, you had your first HT at 18? At least your doctor was keen to the powers of Finasteride before it was even approved for hair loss!

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Wow NHP, you had your first HT at 18? At least your doctor was keen to the powers of Finasteride before it was even approved for hair loss!

Yep, 18 yo...a few minis in the crown...then 20 years later 4800 with Dr Rahal...I was very fortunate to hang on to a lot of my native hair!!

Newhairplease!!

My Hairloss Website

Do you think the Fin actually helped at all with your hairloss at any stage? I'm curious how long the stages were. The stages when you were on it consistently and the ones when you weren't.

It could be that you were just lucky with your genes and didn't need the Fin at all, but obviously you couldn't predict that so it's not wasted money.

It's always good to hear about Fin users who experienced no side effects - especially long term users.

Sometimes I think the positive experiences should be compiled somewhere into one thread as a counter balance to the negative threads.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Do you think the Fin actually helped at all with your hairloss at any stage? I'm curious how long the stages were. The stages when you were on it consistently and the ones when you weren't.

It could be that you were just lucky with your genes and didn't need the Fin at all, but obviously you couldn't predict that so it's not wasted money.

It's always good to hear about Fin users who experienced no side effects - especially long term users.

Sometimes I think the positive experiences should be compiled somewhere into one thread as a counter balance to the negative threads.

Mattj

I actually have a theory, and its just a theory....I took finasteride pretty regular from 18-21...from about 22-36..not regular at all!!!...but then at 37 till present I have been VERY CONSISTENT with all meds..for hair loss!!

Obviously, I was predisposed for hair loss, but I think I have been very lucky as I think my hair loss has been very slow...what really got me thinking my loss was pretty slow was my son saw a picture of me when I was probably 27 or 28 and he said dad you had a bunch of hair,,,well back then I thought I was bald, but looking at the picture I did have a ton of hair, I was just a little thin on the crown...

When I was 17 and 18 I took 2 cycles of steroids( stupid ) well my theory is this: I was gonna eventually start balding because of my genetics, but I really don't think I would have started at 18 without doing the roids!!! So to answer your question, yes I can definitely tell this last year it has really helped, BUT I also think I have been a very slow balder...and thats great!!:)

Newhairplease!!

My Hairloss Website

stinger,

You can PM anyone by clicking on their user name right here in the forum. Once you do that a dropdown men should open and you'll see the option to "Send ________ a Private Message".

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

• 3 weeks later...

I have been a regular with Finasteride 1 mg pill. Whenever I started with it, I would take one continuously for 6-7 months or a year before stopping because of the side effects. If you would look at the literature around how this medicine was discovered then you would know that it should definitely have the side effects. Please check the history of its discovery for treating hairloss.

• 1 month later...