How long to wait for second HT?

Hi All,

I had my first HT last August, and coming up on 6 months post-op and have been on proscar divided by 4 for 7 months. The results have been great. I know that some/a lot of people experience a second spurt of growth around 8-9 months post-op. I seem to be on average about 1.5-2 months ahead of all timelines I have seen.

I was warned I would always want thicker. And I do. Is there a possibility that I have all the hairs grown in that I am going to, since I seem to be ahead of schedule? I know they will mature and get thicker. But, if no new hairs sprout, I definitely want some more density.

It's not as much of me wanting to have a full head of hair as quick as possible, but more of a desire to get all cutting and transplanting done. I want to start the final timeline of healing, hair maturity, scar healing, etc. as soon as possible....if that makes sense.

Any feedback/suggestions/help/stories - donations to the fund for my next HT :), would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

My Hair Loss Web Site

FUT - 8/12/11 - Dr. Keller - Chicago - 3140 grafts

365 singles, 375 doubles, & 2400 multiple hair grafts

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or a professional within the hair transplant field, but I am one hell of a researcher and have been dubbed "master googler" by people that know me. So, anything I say is solely my best opinion or answer based on everything I have read and/or experienced. :)

6 months is still early on in the process, and I think most people would probably tell you to wait until 12 months.

How is your hair looking at 6 months, any pictures?

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

You got surgery in August, the same month I did. You'll probably will continue to still see new growth, thickening etc up to the 12 month mark. Some cases, people continue to see thickening hair maturity for a few months after the one year mark.

So, even though you had fast growth and seem to be ahead of schedule you'll still see new growth. I still see new hairs poppin up in my recipient zone and I also have fast growth.

Do you know the surface area covered? I am estimating but according to your graft count you got 365+ (375 * 2) + (2400 * 3) = 365 + 750 + 7200 = 8315+ HAIRS?

You seem to have outstanding donor density. I say this because for 3140 grafts you probably have an estimated hair count of 8315 or a little more. That's if your multiple hair grafts consist of only 3's. But if you have 4's in there as well then you probably have a little more.

So, with around 8315+ hairs you should get outstanding density depending on the surface area covered in the recipient zone. Considering it was FUT, you should also have good yield. I think you have lots of hairs that will continue to sprout from now until the 12 month mark.

I had 3016 grafts (1091 singles, 1439 doubles, 407 threes, 79 fours) which was a little over 5500 hairs. That's the amount of hairs in a surface area shown here Hair Restoration Journal -Post-Op Photos

By looking at your immediate post op pics, I can see that you had work done around the same areas I did. So, with your hair count, I am guessing you will continue to get great coverage the next couple of months! I personally would wait a year before moving onto the second transplant. Happy Growing.

I really appreciate everyone's help and contribution. I was definitely was going to wait a year at least.

Wanted to get input and hear other's stories.

And Sean, I really appreciate the length and information in your reply. I am not sure as far as a measurement of area covered, but I do know I was given a final count of a little over 9000 total hairs. Does that help? And yes, it does seem that we had the same basic area covered. I think my receeding went a little further back and he didn't have to go down as far in the middle. You also had temple work? Are you happy with that area? Your results look really good. It's always hard to tell from pics, but did you not have to deal with the initial hairs being kinky, wirey, curly? It looks like yours came in straight/natural...or maybe it is how you style it.

My Hair Loss Web Site

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or a professional within the hair transplant field, but I am one hell of a researcher and have been dubbed "master googler" by people that know me. So, anything I say is solely my best opinion or answer based on everything I have read and/or experienced. :)

I really appreciate everyone's help and contribution. I was definitely was going to wait a year at least.

Wanted to get input and hear other's stories.

And Sean, I really appreciate the length and information in your reply. I am not sure as far as a measurement of area covered, but I do know I was given a final count of a little over 9000 total hairs. Does that help? And yes, it does seem that we had the same basic area covered. I think my receeding went a little further back and he didn't have to go down as far in the middle. You also had temple work? Are you happy with that area? Your results look really good. It's always hard to tell from pics, but did you not have to deal with the initial hairs being kinky, wirey, curly? It looks like yours came in straight/natural...or maybe it is how you style it.

A little over 9,000 hairs in the zone you got worked on should certainly make a great impact. You are right, your receding could have went further back but you had a little over 3,500 more hairs planted then I did. You also don't have a wider head from the front like I do I think. So, that could be an advantage since you have lots of hairs in a narrower zone. I actually thought your area of the scalp that was transplanted was equal too/around the same/or less than the surface area I had covered. This including the temple portion. So, expect plenty of growth to come in the months ahead and I think it should come out really dense.

Yes, I had temple work on both sides. I definitely needed to strengthen that area. Right now I can't tell how it will turn out as I am a little over 5 months out, however, I am keeping an eye on the temple area. I do see growth, some of the growth is slightly kinky,wiry in that area. Right now one side seems thicker then the other. In terms of the hairline, my left seems more dominant then my right, but again it's too early to tell as I still have a good 7 months of growth left. Things usually start to even out as the months progress. I did have few hairs that sprouted up in the center of the scalp that seemed curly but are starting to straighten out. But keep in mind, I am applying rogaine foam to my hairline/temples/to entire top of my scalp basically to the crown. I think the rogaine foam might have caused the hairs to come out thicker, and hairs that came out curly/wiry initially usually went away within few weeks after applying the foam in that area. Thanks for the feedback on my results, I appreciate it.

Looking forward to seeing your progress updates. Wish you great growth in the months ahead. Happy growin.

Do you know the surface area covered? I am estimating but according to your graft count you got 365+ (375 * 2) + (2400 * 3) = 365 + 750 + 7200 = 8315+ HAIRS?

You seem to have outstanding donor density. I say this because for 3140 grafts you probably have an estimated hair count of 8315 or a little more. That's if your multiple hair grafts consist of only 3's. But if you have 4's in there as well then you probably have a little more.

I believe Dr. Keller likes using Multi Follicular Unit grafts in the middle where they can't be seen, so you basically 2 grafts for one. That is why Dr. Keller and Dr. Beehner sometimes get more hair than is usual for the number of grafts.

And to answer your question southbeacharchi, I believe most surgeons prefer waiting 12 months unless you are getting work done on an area that wasn't worked on previously. Welcome to the hair greed club!:D

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Wish you great growth as well Sean and look forward to staying in touch and seeing your results.

And thanks for your contribution of information RCWest. And you know....whatever one has is never enough. :)

My Hair Loss Web Site