Actor seeking advice

Hey there,

I have been reading these forums for the last while and think they are great. It is lovely to have support from a nice community of people.

My question pertains to having a HT and the best approach as I am an actor and I am concerned about the 'look' I will end up with. I am a N5 and look good with a shaved head however I still have all the hang ups one gets with losing ones hair. Also of importance to me is the type of roles one gets depending on ones hair style.

I have been thinking of going for FUE(2000) to cover the frontal region so at least there is a frame to my face. Then I can still wear my hair short. But not sure if 2000 will have much impact. If I went for strip(3000-4000) I am probably not going to get full coverage so would have a bald spot at the back. Im not sure how good this would look with my hair grown out. Also a fear is the quality of my hair isn't as lush as in my younger days and may not look great grown out.

My thinking is to go for the FUE first, see how it looks and then maybe go for the strip later.

I am 31 years of age.

Im thinking of Feller/Lyndsey/or H&Wong.

Hi Mavner.

The surgeons you have listed are some of the very best in the industry.

If you are looking for Fue, Hasson and Wong only offer strip surgery.

However Dr Feller and Dr Lindsey are 2 of the best at Fue there are.

The best person to contact is Spex, as he is the consultant for the two of them and has had Fue performed on himself by the pair of them, and his hair is like a movie star :).

Probably best to mail him on here or on his website spexhair.com

Hope this helps.

Edited by chrisdav

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

I wouldn't have any doubts.

Dr Feller is a pioneer in Fue,trained a lot of the top surgeons, and the tools he has developed for the procedure are used by a lot of the other leading surgeons.

Dr Lindsey was trained by Dr Feller and is equally as good as him.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Like chrisdav has said

Both docs are very good at FUE , Dr Lindsey is showing loads new of online results lately and is cheaper then Dr Feller .

I would surgest you consult with both bud

richie

2100 crown grafts

Dr Feller

nov 2007

Rahal and SMG have also had some killer FUR results lately.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Well, I think picking the right surgeon in the top priority and the ones you have stated are second to none. For fue I know feller and lyndsey are field leaders. I recently had strip with feller and the experience wa great.

As for how many grafts and where to cover, I would make sure you are 100% happy with your doc and take their advice. When I consulted with dr feller he budgeted for future hairloss to maximise my result.

Thanks Spanker & Spreadlocks. Guess on has to trust the experts opinion at the end of the day.

Im just not sure whether I would be better going for the Strip first as I hear it has more natural results, as far as there are more 'fine' hairs to work into the front hairline. Or do the safe thing with the FUE first and see how I fare with that.

As another post mentioned it is difficult as an actor because in film/tv you are being seen so close up etc.

Your size strip would be plenty big to get the right hairs for your hair line. Some fue only docs will pitch that as plus, but I am not sure it is legit. Fue will also usually have a bit lower yield.

Also, I think Dr. Lindsey does mostly strip and have not seen the fue results from him that would make me call him field leader. I am not saying he is not a good doc, but I think it would be misleading to sell him as one of the premier FUE docs around. He posts a lot of results and you can check him out.

If you want to be able to still shave your head you may want to try fue assuming you are a good candidate for your goals. But get a good doc because there are many patients that have done fue that are pretty scarred up still.

Dr. Feller produces a kit of FUE results.

I have only seen a few SMG and Rahal Fue results but they were really good.

We all have our favorite docs and most of what we have learned is still available on this site so you should be able to make an informed opinion. Good luck.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

You have gotten some good advice and if you consult with all of the clinics mentioned by everyone here, you will have great information to make a decision. All of the clinics mentioned are top notch.....listen to what they have to say and make an informed decision. Among these clinics there is no wrong choice.....it is just a matter of who you are most comfortable with.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

Thanks Spanker & Spreadlocks. Guess on has to trust the experts opinion at the end of the day.

Im just not sure whether I would be better going for the Strip first as I hear it has more natural results, as far as there are more 'fine' hairs to work into the front hairline. Or do the safe thing with the FUE first and see how I fare with that.

As another post mentioned it is difficult as an actor because in film/tv you are being seen so close up etc.

If anything, FUE can potentially lead to a more natural result as the surgeon can cherry pick whatever grafts he or she desires. The difference probably isn't great, though.

Personally I think you'd be best off having a strip megasession for maximum coverage. As a NW5 you will need a high number of grafts to make a difference.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

mav-

If your head looks good shaved I would say keep that look. Most bald actors use hairpieces for roles they need hair for anyways, don't they?

Most of us that have gone the HT route shaved our melons at some point or another and it just did not look good for us...that is why we went down that route. If I was able to pull off the shaved look--like you are, I would not have got a HT. But I have a large dome and needed a HT, and LOVE the fact that I did it.

I was a Norwood 4 and had a little over 4000 grafts strip surgery and the results are amazing to this day. I am almost four years out and I couldn't be happier. Being that you are a Norwood 5, strip surgery would probably be the best way for you to get the coverage you would want. A large session by one of the top docs recommended on this forum would be one you should consider. But keep in mind, shaving down may not be a possibility without the scar showing...but a makeup artist could hide that if need be:)

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

To address your opening question, 2000 grafts on a NW5 is not going to give you satisfying results. It's just not enough grafts to achieve an illusion of coverage. If you pack a dense area in front and leave the top/back untouched it will look very unnatural and probably force you to wear a hairpiece.

Your strategy/goal needs to be around 5000 grafts to have decent coverage. It's difficult to get that many grafts from FUE without severely thinning your donor area and/or harvesting from areas that aren't as safe.

If you can pull off a good look with a shaved head then work with what you've got. In your profession it's common to use a hairpiece for roles that require more hair, which is a great option for short periods.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My HT Blog

Guess on has to trust the experts opinion...Strip...I hear it has more natural results, as far as there are more 'fine' hairs to work into the front hairline

Wow, just curious, who gave u this advice. This is fascinating.

Btw, as an actor who is balding, wouldn't the ability to buzz ur head be invaluable. Although Dr. Spek with a strip scar might be cool, like aliens planted a banana shaped CPU in him

Check out Gemini1 and Gemini2's story. They are stage actors who are twins and got their procedures done at Hasson & Wong. I think one of them said he used to wear a partial wig on stage pre hair transplant and now does not.

Anyway they seem like good guys and they may be able to give you some insight from the perspective of a fellow actor.