my norwood? rdy to start finasteride?

Hi Im 25 & have had a receding hairline for the past few years but more recently have noticed my hair thinning in the front middle section of my hair. My dad at the age of 65 is quite bald so I am only sure mine will gradually get worse.

Judging by the photos would you say I am a norwood 2? 2A? or something else

After researching I am looking to start 1mg generic finasteride, 2% minoxidil and 2% nizoral shampoo.

Although because I have only started thinning I am not sure whether to start taking finasteride yet. Is there any adverse affects for my hair of getting on finasteride too early in the balding process? Will the shedding phase cause strong hairs to fall out or only the thinning hairs that I have at the front middle?

Thanks for your help :)

front.jpg.d156d4cd26f08c561750479ed74dca42.jpg

frontupper.jpg.48852f9a6bd043e4276896fc51ab38c4.jpg

side.jpg.b18a85f2b7dff5d5ec3f00ad3c4585a9.jpg

Hi, most people go for the big 3, which is Propecia, rogaine and nizoral shampoo. I dont think you can go wrong with these 3.

My humble opinion is if your starting to bald and you have a family history of balding then you can never start propecia to early, out of the big 3, this is the one that effectively halts or at least slows the balding process,.

Best of luck :)

Hair Transplant Dr Feller Oct 2011

Hair Transplant Dr Lorenzo June 2014

Using propecia now is a good start so you don't continue to lose hair. That being said, you can still lose more hair in the forelock and see your hairline continue to recede as most patients do not see an improvement in that area. You should see a stabilization effect in the crown and top of your head, and if you go on to lose more hair in the front you can consider having a procedure. Just remember this medication is a committment so don't use it for a year and stop it is something you need to take indefinitely so you don't continue to lose hair in the future.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I agree,

get on the DHT blockers as soon as poss and use the foam. You may preseve the crown but I think for you the issue may well be hairline and temples which I think woud need a procedure to match the density of the rest of your head. Still you got a lot! So would want to keep as much of it as poss starting today!

:)2250 Strip Dr Feller

:)1900 Strip Dr Feller

-----------------------------------

2 Great HT's & Experiences

Thanks so much for the replies.. feel a lot more confident to start on the medications! Going to order it all today.

In regards to the hair transplant after seeing a lot of success stories on this site I'm feeling like this could definitely be a good option for me. Ideally I would be looking to fill in the forelock and receding temples and hopefully bring my hairline/forelock forward 1-2cm if that makes sense.

Do you think that it would be possible to bring the front of my forelock forward down my forehead 1-2cm at all? Also I've read that patients should be on the medication for 2 years before getting a transplant done.. do you think this is essential? And lastly.. my only concern of getting the transplant done to early would be for my hairline to continue to recede forming a gap between the transplanted hair and my normal hair on the temples.. does this make sense?

Thanks for any feedback :)

Edited by tommyferdi

Hi Tommy,

To answer your question about your current degree of hair loss you are about a NW 3A (diffused). You have the forelock of a NW3 but the forelock looks to be quite thin thus the "diffused" designation.

I agree with the need for "the big three" although there is no evidence that Nizoral does anything more than keep your scalp clean from dandruff causing fungal infections. There aren't really any DHT fighting elements to it but it doesn't hurt to use it.

Lastly, do not use the generic finasteride. We're seeing patients that switch from name brand Proscar or Propecia to the generic brands and their hair loss resumes. It's not a sure thing but we feel that sticking with name brand Propecia or Proscar (quartered and taken daily, it's much cheaper) is the safest bet.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Lastly, do not use the generic finasteride. We're seeing patients that switch from name brand Proscar or Propecia to the generic brands and their hair loss resumes. It's not a sure thing but we feel that sticking with name brand Propecia or Proscar (quartered and taken daily, it's much cheaper) is the safest bet.

This is interesting to read as it is exactly what Dr Feller mentioned to me in a consult a few months ago.

I agree with Spex,

Just for the record I initially started on Propecia and spent over 700 a year on it then discovered the generic option through these forums and switched over, Ive been on finasteride - generic for 2 years and it works, I have had two Ht with Dr Feller and incidently he dug up the pics of my crown from 18 months ago and we could see where the finasteride had worked. I also don't have any miniturization and hair on the pillow which was happening prior to using finasteride.

The good news for you is that your so young and still with a great head of hair that you can start now and see the effect.

Spex said the key thing which is legitimate generics - as long as you get the good stuff generic is and always will be as good as the orignal brand drug.

Think of it this way, 80% of the drugs prescribed by the GP's in the Uk have to be generic that is a stipulation from the primary care trusts so that means for example if you had a life threatening illness such as very high blood pressure, diabetes etc, guess what you would be given a generic drug,

you have to put this in to context. its an exact formula match, it scientifically and logically can not be any different or they simply would not get the license to be sold and the NHS certainly would not be advocating millions of generic drugs for every single illness under the sun being prescribed every single minute of the day from high blood pressure generics to generic Prozac for ultra depressed patients at risk of suicide

I just hate seeing guys buying over priced medication because they think there is a difference in the effect.

UK R

I agree with Spex,

Just for the record I initially started on Propecia and spent over 700 a year on it then discovered the generic option through these forums and switched over, Ive been on finasteride - generic for 2 years and it works, I have had two Ht with Dr Feller and incidently he dug up the pics of my crown from 18 months ago and we could see where the finasteride had worked. I also don't have any miniturization and hair on the pillow which was happening prior to using finasteride.

The good news for you is that your so young and still with a great head of hair that you can start now and see the effect.

Spex said the key thing which is legitimate generics - as long as you get the good stuff generic is and always will be as good as the orignal brand drug.

Think of it this way, 80% of the drugs prescribed by the GP's in the Uk have to be generic that is a stipulation from the primary care trusts so that means for example if you had a life threatening illness such as very high blood pressure, diabetes etc, guess what you would be given a generic drug,

you have to put this in to context. its an exact formula match, it scientifically and logically can not be any different or they simply would not get the license to be sold and the NHS certainly would not be advocating millions of generic drugs for every single illness under the sun being prescribed every single minute of the day from high blood pressure generics to generic Prozac for ultra depressed patients at risk of suicide

I just hate seeing guys buying over priced medication because they think there is a difference in the effect.

UK R

I'm in the UK, do you mind me asking where you order yours from?

Yeah , the best place to get it is uk finasteride - Legitimate UK finasteride for hair loss it's a site run by Dr Singh he's a good guy, you have to register with the site go through the usual online consultation and then email them what you want. They get back to you within hours and once you have paid you get the meds within 2 days. I'ts all legit pharmacy based prescriptions.

UK R