Dr. Rahal, H&W, or Dr. Feller?? (I need to choose soon)

RonJohn

Hello,

I will share my hair transplant journey and try to get some advice and maybe some of my questions answered. I’m 24 years old and have experienced hair loss since I was 19 years old.

In 2009, I finally decided to undergo my first hair transplant surgery without having much knowledge or information. I was referred to Samsom hair restoration by my sister’s surgeon and assumed they were reliable. Little did I know, I should have done my own research and gathered my own information. At that time I didn’t even know about this website.

So I had a hair transplant surgery of about 1500 grafts. I was very nervous and hesitant to do more at the time so I wanted a small procedure and focus on the hairline. The result was just “ok” but I wish the doctor would have focused more on what I asked for which is the hairline.

I knew another surgery was definitely in planning and finally I had my second hair transplant march 2011 with Dr. John Kahen in Los Angeles. I had been referred to him by my hair stylist since has his seen is work on other clients. The surgery consisted of 2,500 grafts. The staff was friendly and the doctor was very nice and knowledgeable. I got the lower hairline that I asked for and I can definitely see a difference between my first and second surgery.

However, I’m not completely satisfied. By all means, I’m not a picky person but I have seen the pictures of other transplants with the same amount of grafts and I’m not happy with the density and coverage of mine. He focused on the front so I assumed with 2,500 grafts it should be looking a lot fuller but I’m going on 10 months and I can see that it’s not where I want it to be.

My number one concern was the scalp showing and even now under light and certain angles a lot of my scalp shows.

Even my parents and close friends were not greatly satisfied my with my results. Don’t get me wrong, I’m better at now where I was before but I feel like I’m taking such little steps with my surgeries. After discovering this website and reading reviews and seeing pictures, I’m confident I could have had a more successful hair transplant surgery.

I have very dense thick hair from the back and sides. I wanted the hair transplant to focus on the hairline and filling it up from the front and the results don’t show this.

So here I am now doing research (which I should have done more of in the beginning instead of trusting referrals)

I have come to find that the three top doctors in this field are Dr. Rahal, H&W, and Dr. Feller.

I’m in the Southern California and always had the mindset that I would undergo surgery locally in my area. However, my whole mentality has changed because with hair transplant surgery it’s really important to choose an experienced doctor with a great track record.

My question is, between the three doctors listed above which one would you recommend for my third transplant?

I’m thinking about 2,500 grafts and hopefully get the final results that I want. But I cannot say for sure until the doctor tells me how much I need.

Also, I’m thinking FUE. What do you think? Can I get the same results I’m looking for or do I have a better chance doing strip?

Also, I realized that many people don’t discuss prices but as we all know, money is a crucial aspect for many people, including me. Although I have narrowed it down to the three doctors, which one do you think has the better prices or “deals”?

I know some people will say money shouldn’t play a role in deciding but in my case, I think all three doctors are awesome so I wouldn’t mind settling for either one.

Any feedback would be appreciated, as I’m trying to make my decision very soon to get things moving. I’m currently overseas until February 3rd and I think what pushed more towards thinking about a third transplant is having family members you haven’t seen for years tell you that your losing your hair. I think that’s the last thing you want to hear, especially having already under gone hair transplant surgery and was expecting better results.

I don’t have before and after pictures on me but I will try to dig some pictures up from emails or something so I can share with you all.

Thank You

There are a lot of people with different opinions when it comes to choosing between the 3 clinics you have decided on. The good news is that you have chosen 3 of the top clinics. Between them decide who you are most comfortable with......they are all top notch. H&W does not do FUE. There are a variety of factors that go into deciding between FUE and strip. In your case since you have already had strip, personally I can't see any reason for you to choose FUE. I know that you are looking for an opinion on which of those clinics to go to, but they are all top clinics, so what really matters is who you feel most comfortable with.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

Hi RonJohn. You have listed 3/4 of the very best surgeons there are around.

If you are looking for Fue, Hasson and Wong do not perform Fue (only strip).

Dr Feller has been performing Fue for the longest of the other two mentioned and trained Dr Rahal for Fue.

I do agree with OrlHair1 that if you have already had strip, it is best to carry on with strip but ultimately that rests with you and your surgeon.

You are in good hands who ever you decide to choose and best of luck.

Edited by chrisdav

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Well to be honest. I love Dr. Rahal work a lot when it comes to Strip as he was my choice.. BUT when it comes to FUE, I would ask you to go for Dr. Feller, he is the top doc for FUE method in the US. The only negative thing is the FUE rate of Dr. Feller clinic is very expensive $10 while at Dr. Rahal is much cheaper. Its your call buddy. Wish you all the best.

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

As stated above, ALL 3 are top notch!! For obvious reasons, I like Rahal...however, you need to choose the surgeon that is right for you!! Feller and H&W are as good as anybody!!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Howdy. It's been months since I've been here & just logged in & read your post. If I'm honest, I think you need to take a breath and pause for a minute. 24 and you've already had 4k grafts and 2 ops? Forgive me if I have missed them, but any pics? If you have extensive loss & it sounds like it, then you need to consider the future, what if you end up with a very advanced Norwood level & run out of donor ?

I went to Dr Hasson last year- saw Dr Feller and his brother being operated on by Dr Hasson. What does that tell you about his experience. I hear Dr Rahal is awesome but no other clinic offers as much photo/video evidence as H&W to reassure you of the consistency & quality. Email all three clinics & send them your pics. Best of luck!

I will post my pics soon as its only been 3 months so far & you'll see. Do your research!

Dutch makes some excellent points. You need to hit the pause button big time. Firstly, it sounds like you are front-loading with your grafts which can be a big mistake in the long run. What's your NW? What's your family history of hairloss? Are you taking meds? Also, you should understand that even the best-looking, most dense HTs will look thin under harsh lighting, when gelled, or when wet. My in-laws have these lights in their bathroom that are very bright and low and it's amazing how if I stand away from them my hair looks ridiculously thick and then I step one foot into them and it looks like I am really thinning.

As far as the docs you mentioned they are all fantastic. I am partial to Dr. Feller as I have had 3 surgeries with him and know him well. He is also a very straight shooter and will give you an honest opinion on what he thinks you should do. Try and post some pics, and best of luck!

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Thank you for the replys. It's highly appreciated and this forum has been great! I'm looking forward to engaging more with members and getting some feedback.

I'm leaning towards Dr. Rahal but Dr. Feller has some amazing results.

I checked out your pics 'hairthere' and I'm very impressed with Dr. Fellers results.

I have wavey thick hair, somewhat similar to the structure of yours

As far as going with a 3rd operation, I'll see what the doctors recommend but I'm really hoping to go thru with it soon. I don't really see the problem if this can be my last and final surgery.

And I guess I just want to get it done to get the results that I want and put the hair problem behind me.

I'm currently taking propecia which seems to help and using Nioxin shampoo.

you're in way over your head if you dont see a problem going in for a third surgery after already using 4k grafts. its a pretty safe bet you will look like a freak as you lose more hair, and make no mistake you will lose more hair. how about you post some pics. sounds like you are rushing into these surgeries and have no idea about what is smart and what are realistic expectations. you really need to slow way down.

Thank you for the replys. It's highly appreciated and this forum has been great! I'm looking forward to engaging more with members and getting some feedback.

I'm leaning towards Dr. Rahal but Dr. Feller has some amazing results.

I checked out your pics 'hairthere' and I'm very impressed with Dr. Fellers results.

I have wavey thick hair, somewhat similar to the structure of yours

As far as going with a 3rd operation, I'll see what the doctors recommend but I'm really hoping to go thru with it soon. I don't really see the problem if this can be my last and final surgery.

And I guess I just want to get it done to get the results that I want and put the hair problem behind me.

I'm currently taking propecia which seems to help and using Nioxin shampoo.

RonJohn,

In order to prevent spammers from mass mailing our members, all new members are subject to moderation before private messages are enabled. New members are typically approved within 24 hours, but sometimes longer over the weekends. I've gone ahead and enabled your private messaging.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thank You Bill :)

With all due respect "hdude46", I'm not following your point of view so please give me some more information.

Why is it so bad to undergo a third surgery? Is it because of my age?

My first surgery was not succesfful so therefore I really only consider my last surgery a good one.

For the past 5 years, I have not experienced more hair loss except for the area that I initially had hair loss in. I have been taking propecia which has helped a lot.

All in all, what's the difference between waiting another 3 years to have another surgery vs having one now?

Thank you for your input

ronjohn, No one on this board can really say if another surgery is the right move or not without more info. We would need to know where you are on the NW scale, your family history of hairloss, and what your goals are. Pictures would certainly help, too. Also, a doctor can analyze your hair and see exactly where it has miniaturized which can help determine if you are a good candidate for another surgery.

The reason hdude is urging you too be cautious is that you can potentially use up all your available grafts "front-loading" your hair without knowing how much more your hair loss will progress. So if you use all the grafts to rebuild a thick front and you progress to NW7 someday there is a chance it can look very odd having all that hair up front and none in the back. You also run the risk of exposing the donor scar. Again, these are just possibilities and a reason to approach HTs cautiously at a young age.

Luckily you are consulting with docs who all have excellent reputations and will operate only if they think it's a wise idea.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Ronjohn: I agree with Hairthere...we need more info to fully help you out. You have a good list of docs so far. I went with Dr. Rahal. Check out my website as I have documented my journey thus far. H&W are very impressive as well as you can go to their website and see all of their videos.