Now I'm a serious HT thinker!! (pics included)

azazelgs

Hello everyone,

As some of you may know, I've been on this site for over than 2 years now and I thank everyone to give me the knowledge not to go to a local butcher:) I'm in my mandatory military service now and it will end in mid may 2012. After that, there will be no reason for me to not to have a hair transplant so from now on, I'm seriously considering a ht but as many of those I'm confused and need lots of advice!

Brief History: I'm 25-26 years old , nw5-6 diffuse thinner. All men in my family(both sides) end up nw5-6 , no case of nw7. I'm using proscar (daily), minoxidil (twice a day only to temples) and nizoral (everyday).

Concerns: I buzz my head with lowest clipper. I don't mind buzzing it if I had a good hairline and I think shorter haircuts gives more dense look with diffuse thinners.

Plan 1- Max out with FUT first, see where it goes: Although I like buzzing it, as many of you I am dreaming of having my full head of hair again. Not my 16 y/o hairline of course but a result like bobman, london_lad or can't decide would make me incredibly happy. On the other hand, as a supporter of short cut , the scar really scares me. Btw, my doctor choices would be Dr.Rahal or Dr.Hasson. I've never thought of anyone else but them.

Plan 2- Max with FUE , support with SMP: First of all, I'm not a very good FUE candidate. My donor is app. 80 fu/cm2 and I'm not gonna end up nw2-3. Also, I'm not a supporter of SMP to a bald head especially to the hairline. However, I know I'll be happy with short , buzzed head with good hairline. For fue, my choices would be Dr.Gho or Dr. Rahal. For SMP , I believe Good Look Ink does the best work in order to create the illusion of buzzed head, not skin head.My favourite results are ;

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/157624-my-fue-2-years-after-scars-1-buzz.html

Hair Restoration Journal -Latest pics 9 months post-op

So here are my pictures; The ones with blue t-shirt were taken in may 2011, other are pre and post shave. I added a short video to see my scalp laxity.

And here is my video;

Sorry for the long post, all answers are highly appreciated.

1.jpg.99d21bb7c736b4a91d162221a3f34794.jpg

2.jpg.6f3a0fc9427d7bc5f46aa8e506c5e23f.jpg

3.jpg.aff0b394bdaf94a53697aad184f63d40.jpg

8.jpg.a44b4561e75c4595d5bb601054c85210.jpg

7.jpg.c0f8efbb5271160fba77b53320f89ea0.jpg

5b32d0c9b1beb_tojoe-4.jpg.d5cd9e69e910dfc074616bfc179a837b.jpg

5b32d0c9c5264_tojoe-3.jpg.13d775497195595bbfb7dd60b6250883.jpg

You are on Proscar! + 1

You have a good head of hair already! + 2

You have great donor laxity! + 3

I think you are an ideal strip patient. You'd get rockstar results with Rahal or Hasson. Go max strip man. Why buzz it if you don't have to?

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Wow...that is some crazy laxity!!! Good stuff! Dr. Rahal and Dr. Hasson are great choices to narrow down your search. They were my finalists too! I went with Dr. Rahal. Check out my website link and write ups to help you out. User name "Jotronic" is the guy to talk to about H&W...he is a great source of knowledge...so you should pick his brain too. If you are going to have the procedure after may keep in mind that these doctors and all the really good ones have lead times of like 2 to 3 months pretty much...so factor that in if can have a HT in a certain window of time. If you have any questions don't hesitate to reach out. Keep us posted!

AZ,

Congratulations on your decision to "take the plunge!" It seems like you have a very solid grasp on the situation and I think utilizing the preventive medications make you a great hair transplant candidate.

As far as FUE is concerned, have you consulted with any FUE practitioners and inquired about your eligibility? Frankly, it does look like you'd be a great strip/follicular unit transplantation candidate, but if you're really interested in keeping your hair buzzed short, fully researching your follicular unit extraction options may be a good idea.

Let me know if you have any questions about individual FUE practitioners.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

AZ

I agree with all the above most. You semm like an " ideal " candidate with a serious game plan! Good luck on your choice of doctor. I think you will have some serious results!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

The above advice makes sense. I would add though that the buzzed look suits you. So, as Ht Doc said, you should consult with the top fue docs (rahal included) to see what that option would hold for you.

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

thank you guys,

I've never done scalp exercises in my whole life but i'll start in military to make it more loose.

My biggest concern with FUT is scar, of course. I really don't want to lose the option to buzz my head because I think buzzing is the best way if you are a diffuse thinner. I know many men who do this and looks like they have a full head of hair. Also, if I'm gonna do this and after I'm done , I don't want to look into mirror and see a empty or thin crown without any donor left. London_lad is my top example of how I wanna restore my head.

I agree with what most members have said above, but I also think you look great with a shaved head too? You got an ideal head and it does not look bad at all shaved. Would you ever want to shave or get a buzz cut later after a transplant? If so, then FUE would be something to consider, if not then FUT. You really seem to have a great amount of movement in the scalp.

You got a good game plan, good idea of how to approach this. Definitely evaluate the pros and cons about what procedure to go through. I don't think your a bad candidate for either procedure.

This may or may not take more than one pass. I'd def start with tweaking the front and then working my way back. Good Luck with everything.