Need help guys. Concealers for post HT

Okay, I've never used an concealers but just in case I need to go out in public post HT what do you guys recommend. I want something easy. I'm leaning toward toppik. Im just looking for some advice. Thanks!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

I would be careful with concealers in recipient area post HT due to possible clogging of grafts although ive heard this is more a problem with dermamatch and couvre than toppix. Still im not taking a chance, best check with your doc.

NHP, before my transplant I was a daily toppik user whenever I went out. Toppik was very beneficial to me and VERY EASY to apply with the "pump attachment" accessory only. This allowed me to put Toppik on without wasting it as it helped disperse it on the scalp evenly with limited fibers. However, I have not used Toppik since the transplant in fear of clogging the grafts. Most people do say it is ok to use just as long as you wash it off daily and don't leave it in your hair overnight. You also should avoid caking it on as that is what may clog the grafts. I think most people have said they used it 1 1/2 months to 2 months after their surgery or when the grafts have started to shed/grow back. I personally am cautious applying it on the recipient zone, now the donor zone may be different as I have heard some users that did do strip apply it there after the area has closed and healed when the stitches were removed. I would definitely ask this question to the doctor or patient care representative on surgery day to get a professional opinion on when it is safe to apply just in case.

But I feel Toppik is very very good at adding density. It is very easy to apply. You just have to make sure you get the right color and that pump attachment.

Thanks Sean

Yeah I'm only talking about using it in case of an extreme emergency. Like I said I've never used it before. I have a LONG time off work so I don't see having to use it but I was just wondering. Thanks for the response!

Newhairplease!!

My Hairloss Website

NHP...I too am a HUGE toppik user...but now after my HT I am very nervous to use it...so I'm gonna try to really not use it at all at least for a few months minimum unless absolutely necessary...just don't want to mess around with my very expensive head now! lol. I feel like after spending all this money on my HT I have a asset on top of my head that I need to protect! lol.

NHP...I too am a HUGE toppik user...but now after my HT I am very nervous to use it...so I'm gonna try to really not use it at all at least for a few months minimum unless absolutely necessary...just don't want to mess around with my very expensive head now! lol. I feel like after spending all this money on my HT I have a asset on top of my head that I need to protect! lol.

Yeah Cap..I plan on being extra carful for the first few months after surgery...no swimming, running, weight lifting, etc....I know it will all payoff

Newhairplease!!

My Hairloss Website

As i said on my page. Ill put sum pics up with the dermmatch and see wat u tink. I tried toppik once and it looked green.

Yeah Cap..I plan on being extra carful for the first few months after surgery...no swimming, running, weight lifting, etc....I know it will all payoff

I cant wait to get back training. Iv put on 8 pounds in the last month. :eek:

Try nanogen or caboki though i will still recommend sticking to nanogen. Its all natural. Toppik has some colorings that cause your sweat to turn green. Try getting both and dumping a bit of each into the toilet bowl. You will see what i mean!

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

The guys are right about the coloring. I noticed this too, but especially when I used the wrong color code. Also, when you work out and run, excessive sweat, the sodium I think in the sweat can give it a tint of green, but that is in excessive sweat as in you ran or walked outside for a while on a hot day. But they do have a small SPRAY add on for that issue and to keep it effective even under the rain. I forgot what it's called but I saw it on ebay.

For me, It's just that air pump attachment had me attached to the toppik. Hell, I was even able to create artificial temples with that attachment. It really makes it easy to apply. Probably will take you a day or 2 to understand how much you need to pump and then you get the hang of it and you are in and out. It makes it a very fast 1 minute or less process instead of taking 5 minutes or more.

Yup i totally agree with Sean. The pump attachment is really effective, both in decorating the hairline and reducing wastage. I normally top up the toppik bottle by emptying the nanogen bottle in it. Agree that i will create a mess but i just prefer using nano fibres with the toppik pump attachment

I have been using concealers for 10 yrs and i can nvr attain the natural look without using the pump attachment

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

Yup i totally agree with Sean. The pump attachment is really effective, both in decorating the hairline and reducing wastage. I normally top up the toppik bottle by emptying the nanogen bottle in it. Agree that i will create a mess but i just prefer using nano fibres with the toppik pump attachment

I have been using concealers for 10 yrs and i can nvr attain the natural look without using the pump attachment

So you are talking about the spray attachment for toppik right? So you empty a toppik bottle and pour the nanogen fibers into another toppik bottle so you can use the pump attachment? Is the right?

Newhairplease!!

My Hairloss Website

NHP, make sure you get either the 10 or 25 gram size bottle of toppik as that is the smallest and largest size that works with the pump attachment I believe. They do cost a lot, but you are able to get some good deals on ebay. So check it out.

You can do what wb280 says and put the fibers into the toppik bottle. I don't think nanogen fiber bottles have a custom pump for it? I haven't seen one. So, You really have to kill the toppik and then put nanogen in it I guess to use it. I'd finish the toppik first and then get a bottle of nano and just refill that bottle. Unless you can get an empty bottle of toppik.

But these are the accessories that can enhance your fiber/toppik/nano experience, check them out:

Here is the Pump Attachment, it usually costs around $15 give or take a few bucks:

toppik_sprayapplicator.jpg

This is how it looks when it disperses:

-toppik-spray-applicator.jpg?v=1297907386000

This is the FIBER HOLD spray accessory below, it helps with excessive rain and keeps the product on for a longer time; it's optional and costs around $7.

21B2ug-dtbL._AA300_.jpg

This below is the Toppik Hairline Optimizer, they are around $8 bucks and optional. It allows you to improve application of Toppik along your hairline removing any excess product along the way, but you don't need this really if you get the Pump attachment I think:

AAAAAkOBTB0AAAAAAVXS4w.jpg?v=1222712721000

Whatever you do, make sure you pick the right color because it does make a difference, check the website for available colors:

78_314271_ExtraLarge.jpg

Nanogen does have some similar accessories, such as the fiber hold type spray, but they don't have the pump attachment anywhere:

nanogen_combo.jpg

Now, I have come across another applicator that includes a glass bottle but I dont know if it as efficient as the toppik spray applicator and the cost is higher, it is around $23 plus shipping from a company called hair tek, I think it is fragile, so the plastic toppik bottle with the pump attachment still seems better to me:

55-large.jpg

Toppik can be a good solution but I have to tell about my experiences as well. If you have a sweating body type, Toppik is not what you are exactly looking for.

No ideas about Post HT cases but for adding up the density, toppik made me look riddiculous as after I sweated a little, it was really looking bad and bad.

Try Dermatch!

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,

I'm gym rat, first of all I was back to bench pressing and normal activity after the staples were out, did this for my first HT non issue a great result and no grafts are gonna get messed around.

2ndly I also was straight back on the dermatch and fibres only as and when needed, again non issue nothing is going to upset the grafts like that. they are well locked in after 72 hours.

I used to use nanogen, but now I have discovered caboki and it is miles better, gives a more natural result and u use MUCH less than before. Holds well in rain and sweat as well.

hope that helps

UK R

:)2250 Strip Dr Feller

:)1900 Strip Dr Feller

-----------------------------------

2 Great HT's & Experiences

-----------------------------------

Toppik has been by far the best for me - however definitely get the pump attachment, it makes a huge difference in the end result and is also much easier to put on.

Now that I have some bare patches where there has been shock loss around the donor, I find that toppik is not giving enough density here to look natural so I am using dermatch which is better at filling the gaps, and then putting toppik over the top and sealed with hair spray. Note that dermatch is quite difficult to get off - I can totally believe when people say that it clogs pores - it is like putting wet clay on your head.

I got caboki a few days ago, however it seems to be very similar to toppik, only I didn't get the pump attachment for it which makes it the least useful of the 3 options for me.

I don't know if you'll need this, but for 3 months I've been using Nanogen aquamatch pencil concealer on my scar then Nanogen locking mist.

Done wonders & helped a lot when I had to go back to work with a smiley & face people.

I've been putting less & less of it as the months go by and the shock loss is near all gone. Without it, my scar was very visible since all of my hair was all shaved down pre-op.

Used to use a bit of Nanogen fibres pre-op on a night out or on a date. It never came off, the locking mist helped a lot. I don't use it anymore though.

I don't know if you'll need this, but for 3 months I've been using Nanogen aquamatch pencil concealer on my scar then Nanogen locking mist.

Done wonders & helped a lot when I had to go back to work with a smiley & face people.

I've been putting less & less of it as the months go by and the shock loss is near all gone. Without it, my scar was very visible since all of my hair was all shaved down pre-op.

Used to use a bit of Nanogen fibres pre-op on a night out or on a date. It never came off, the locking mist helped a lot. I don't use it anymore though.

Hi Dutch,

How early after HT would you use Nanogen aquamatch pencil on the scar?

Hi Dutch,

How early after HT would you use Nanogen aquamatch pencil on the scar?

Hello. I used that 3 weeks post op, so a week after I had the staples removed. I was panicking a lot thinking people from work will mock me especially where I sit in the office under bright lights on the end desk. Then I thought so what! Let them laugh. No one did though and everyone was nice & very impressed with the quality of the work. You'll find that pencil very useful.

Edited by Dutch

Hey any commentary on Toppik use following transplant effecting the grafts??

I had my procedure and after 2 weeks they said I could use whatever I wanted, including Toppik. I was using it, and usually washing it out at night. After time I started to not always wash it out, but did wash my hair daily.

Anyone think that could have really impacted the graft prognosis? It's been just shy of 5 months and I have pretty minimal yield, hoping I didn't do anything dumb there an screw my procedure up.

Thoughts??