FUE with Dr. Ron Shapiro

Jaymanji

I'm very excited. I fly down on Sunday and my procedure will be Monday & Tuesday.

This forum has been absolutely amazing. Because of it I dodged a few bullets with some sketchy doctors and I've been able to do an exhaustive search for the right surgeon. I pursued most of the recommended names in these chatboards and determined SMG was the way to go for me.

Honestly, I would have preferred to have my surgery here in Canada and I'm frankly shocked that our two best surgeons are in Ottawa and Vancouver and that Toronto offers so few comparable options. Not that Ottawa & Vancouver aren't deserving...just that I would have assumed more would come from our largest city. Our tax here was a big determining factor in my decision. With our dollar at parity, doctors here are charging the same rates as doctors in the US. BUT...our tax rate here is 13%! A significant difference when compared with surgeons south of the border.

I'll have Janna or Matt post my photos (or I will when I get back to the hotel).

With so many step by step testimonials on here, I owe you all a big thanks. I am going in excited and not nervous. I know what to expect during my surgery, weeks, months and even years after.

I remain in gratitude to the posters and moderators of this forum.

Jaymanji,

Best of luck as you venture south of the border! You've chosen your doctor well and I will look forward to following your progress in the coming months.

Have a safe trip.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Looking forward to meeting you tomorrow. I'd be happy to put pics up for you.

I wasn't aware of the Canadian tax system either. Our state has a mandatory Care Tax on cosmetic procedures too but it's 2%. Much better than the 13%. This tax differs from state to state.

Enjoy the Mall today if you get time to go. Be good to get last minute shopping done if needed. But be fair warned that the Mall is massive and I'm sure it's crowded on the weekends this time of year. Ending on a good note...Minnesota has no tax on clothing.

Jaymanji - good luck tomorrow. You're in best of hands. Looking forward to the pics.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Best of luck tomorrow. It is such an exciting time for you.

And I agree that this website is amazing and was so helpful in the direction, research and ultimate decision in finding my HT doctor.

Can't wait to see your results, I'm sure they are going to be great.

My Hair Loss Web Site

FUT - 8/12/11 - Dr. Keller - Chicago - 3140 grafts

365 singles, 375 doubles, & 2400 multiple hair grafts

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or a professional within the hair transplant field, but I am one hell of a researcher and have been dubbed "master googler" by people that know me. So, anything I say is solely my best opinion or answer based on everything I have read and/or experienced. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow!

What an awesome experience! I'm going to post my journey in long form so that anyone who is considering using Shapiro will benefit.

To say I'm delighted would be an understatement. From start to finish everything about this trip and procedure has been nothing short of fantastic!

I brought my wife with me from Toronto. Our flights were easy and very affordable. We stayed at The Country Inns West. I booked through their website in advance and got a rate of $59.99 each night. The hotel is comparable to a Holiday Inn Express with a comfortable room, a hot breakfast bar with plenty of options, free wifi, a pool & hot-tub (the wife loved that), nice gym, cookies, tea & coffee 24/7. The attached restaurant and bar 5120 & Onyx Bar is a great dinner option. Most importantly the staff there are incredible! With every request we made they were so accommodating. They shuttled us everywhere - Shapiro, Mall of America, a pharmacy. Stored ice gel packs in their freezer. Extra pillows. etc. etc. Etc. Their staff are awesome!

On to my experience from Shapiro. From the moment I stepped in their office and was greeted by Dal, every member of their team were kind caring and expressed genuine interest in my procedure. Dr. Ron has assembled a wonderful team of people who approach everything as a united effort. The majority of my procedure was completed with great expertise by Tom, who worked in conjunction with Shelly & Song. Dr. Ron was absolutely meticulous in the development of my hairline, returning over and over to create the incisions and determine placement. Tom extracted my hair using the Harris tool. Matt and Janna checked in several times a day.

One of the best pieces of news I got was that my donor site was almost all 2s,3s & 4s – even some 5s. Only 35-40 1s were taken from my donor site. Meaning I'll have lots of options for the future and my scarring will be minimal from this procedure.

I ended up getting 1,501 FUE grafts. Exactly as I had assumed and right in the center of Matt's estimation.

1 hair grafts = 586

2 hair grafts = 693

3 hair grafts = 222

1501 total grafts, which came out to 2638 hairs!

I've created a photo journal and website.

Hair Restoration Site for jaymanji

The first few days after my procedure I had extensive swelling which gradually worked it's way down my face. Within 4 days it had disappeared and I had no problem attending family functions on Christmas Day. My extended family only commented on my new 'buzz-cut' and no one knew I had the procedure done.

What can I say! SMG is the way to go! Thanks Dr. Ron, Tom, Matt, Janna and everyone at Shapiro Medical.

Oh, BTW.

I went to Walmart to buy 5% Rogaine Foam (which we don't have in Canada). I had gone on the Rogaine website and downloaded a $10 coupon. I had it photocopied 10x.

Walmart had it on sale from $28.99 to $14.00 - $10 (coupon) = $4.00!

Win! I bought a year's supply. :)

Jaymanji, congrats! Looks like great work again from Dr. Ron. Good luck growing and looking forward to seeing your results!

5 hair grafts?!? You beast!

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Oh, BTW.

I went to Walmart to buy 5% Rogaine Foam (which we don't have in Canada). I had gone on the Rogaine website and downloaded a $10 coupon. I had it photocopied 10x.

Walmart had it on sale from $28.99 to $14.00 - $10 (coupon) = $4.00!

Win! I bought a year's supply. :)

Wow! $4 Rogaine? Do you know if that's all Walmarts right now? Did they let you redeem all 10 coupons at once? I might need to go do this today!

Wow! $4 Rogaine? Do you know if that's all Walmarts right now? Did they let you redeem all 10 coupons at once? I might need to go do this today!

Yep. It was like I was extreme couponing. Even funnier...I found $20 in mail in rebates inside the packaging. Ha!