Buzzed my hair down to #0

sjones23

Hi Guys,

I need your honest opinion, ive recently buzzed my hair down to a #0/ #1 but im considering a HT, i dont think it looks that bad buzzed and im worried if i get a HT and i dont get the results i think id like i couldnt buzz my hair anymore,

I need your opinions weather it looks ok to keep the Buzz look or go with the HT

Thanks guys:(

Edited by sjones23

I think it looks great as well. Have you thought about maybe getting FUE done just for the hairline? You could still buzz it down after the FUE and it would look even better if you had the shadow of a hairline there.

Pretty sweet. I did the shaved head thing for years and it looked ok but I just got tired of it and tired of being the "bald guy". You might get tired of the look and at least with the HT you'll have more styling options - just not the option to go that short. Weigh the pros and cons and make a decision. Even though I made a mistake with my first surgeon I am now glad I went the HT route - and I don't miss the shaved head look at all.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I used to buzz down to a #1, and while it didn't look bad, it made me feel old and I grew bored with it after a while. SJ, you need to live with the buzz look for a year or two at least and then revisit the idea of getting a HT, imo....

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

The shaved looks suits you and is also in style these days. If you like that look I would not do fut as you will never be able to buz like that again if you do. It wouldnt hurt to consult with an fue doc just to see what your options are. Being a nw 5 does not necessarily mean that you cant do fue. I have a friend to is a 6, shaves like you to and looks good. He consulted with an fue doc just to see if he could establish a hairline and get a better shaved look. It turns out that he can get over 3,000 grafts and some reasonable "mature" coverage if he wants although not a full restoration.

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

I rarely say this, but I believe this "hairstyle" out weighs actually having hair for you. You have a very well shaped head for the shaved look.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

I think it looks great! This sort of style is very popular these days and you have the right head shape and figure for it, so I'd say definite success!

On a purely personal level, especially for younger guys with advanced loss, I actually think unless you can afford or commit to multiple, larger procedures, this look is more youthful and convincing than an HT (for most men). I think if you can afford and be able to get a procedure of more than 4/5,000 grafts for an NW5 then it might start being worth considering, but quite often guys in their twenties, thirties and even forties who get maybe 2/3,000 and grow their hair out a bit don't quite look right - the density is just too low to look natural on them, or the hairline and crown restoration too conservative (not that I'm advocating trying to get back to an NW1, I just mean the very conservative hairlines).

I would say stick like this for the time being and, if you do consider a HT, it probably has to be FUT unless you're looking for a modest procedure and to continue buzzing down. For the larger hairloss patterns its an all or nothing in my opinion - you either have to accept the loss or be prepared for one or more major procedures to get the density and coverage you want.

But seriously, this looks very good on you! The buzzed down look works because it IS a "look" - you've totally taken command of the hair loss and that's half the battle. I know a lot of guys who have hair (either naturally or through a HT) and just wear it all over the shop and they don't look half as good.

Thanks aaron,

Yeah i exactly know what you mean, im pretty sure ill get bored of the Egg head soon enough and would have more options with the HT,

What was your NW level when you had your 1st?

If you look at my Fin pics from my webblog you'll see that I was definitely on my way to a NW6. They are blurry - but that was when I was about 26 years old - I am now 31. I think I'd be completely bald without Fin by now.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

aaron,

im so very tempted to start with the fin again, i was only on it for 2 weeks before and my right nipple was sore so i didnt take any more, what you think i should do?

azazelgs,

you mean get my head tattood?

Thats my personal advice, Im not a doc or a rep or an expert. Get FUE but stay shaved, just create a hairline to frame your face. Shaved head with a framing will make you look great. Thats my advice.

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

It's possible an NW5a might progress to a 6, especially because you're only 30 (though it's not definite, of course). Finasteride is your best chance at halting any further loss though obviously if you're concerned about side effects that's something you need to weigh up. Lots of men do report mild side effects that disappear after a couple of months or so though, so if a sore nipple was the worst you experienced might be worth giving yourself 8-12 weeks on the drug and see if the side effects decrease or if you experience further problems.

30 is not necessarily too young to get an HT, though a lot of the success of an HT depends on whether the loss has stabilised. If you're 30 and on fin, or feel that you can achieve your goals without fin and can commit to a longer term restoration plan, then it's not unusual to have a HT around that age.

It's obviously entirely up to you but I would urge caution over SMP or FUE for the #1 sort of look. Both can be a success but they're built pretty specifically around the very short, clipped hairstyle and, essentially, that leaves you with as few choices than if you didn't have a HT. In addition, the difference between #0/1 and #1/2 is in my opinion not worth the money, time and commitment - especially if further down the line you want further procedures to expand your options. That having been said there are successful cases of guys going down the 2-4000 graft route and/or SMP so they're not out of the question if you like the look and want to consider it more seriously.

A bulk analysis or miniaturization test might help in determining whether you're thinning in any other areas than the obvious ones and might go some way to answering what NW you could be (though it won't be 100% accurate and can't be used as a firm diagnosis). Generally speaking if you're around an NW5a at 30 the chances are higher you're heading for further loss - but there are a fairly good number of men who buck that trend so it's probably best to discuss that with a doctor who can give you a better analysis.

In the meantime though, the #0 look is really suiting you. I'm seriously considering having a go at it myself but am absolutely convinced it won't look much good at all, so I do envy men that can pull it off so naturally! ;)