What Difference will 6000 grafts make to a NW5

sjones23

sjones23,

I think it makes great difference. However, I think your sides are dropping but I'm no expert. Send some pictures to Rahal and H&W, also add some pictures of your back and if you can, squeeze your head with one hand in order to give some estimation about your laxity.

This is completely my point of view but don't go anywhere besides Rahal or H&W. They are nothing but the best with dealing with this nw levels.

6000K could make a big difference but it depends on whether you have 6K to begin with as well as the quality of your donor hair and your future progression of hair loss. I would do research on HT docs but IMO would not limit it to the two docs mentioned above.

I would not limit yourself either..and Im going to Dr Rahal! The point is you have to find YOUR surgeon! The one thats best for you! Now, to answer your question, I think 6000 would give you a significant cosmetic improvement!

Two questions though..how old are you and are you on any preventative medications?

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

A couple of points. First, 6000 grafts will make a big difference, sure, but the size of this big difference depends on the distribution. If it is spread out from front to back it will still be thin. If it is concentrated with a priority on the front then the big difference mentioned will be fully realized.

Second, you're not a NW5 my friend. A NW5 has a distinct band of hair across the mid-scalp. You haven't much hair at all on the top and your crown is certainly opening up to be a large area. I'd peg you at a NW6 or at least almost a NW6.

Third, don't expect 6000 in one session. We have the most experience in the world with big sessions and I know Dr. Rahal is hitting these numbers too. Aside from that no one else really is doing big sessions like this and I can tell you that getting 6K in one shot is a definite exception, not the rule. You should expect no more than 4500 in one shot and that is with a clinic that has big session experience. This will set up the front of your scalp but you'll most likely need a 2nd procedure for the back.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

You're not there yet but I clearly see a NW7 pattern developing - especially with the second pic showing the sides dropping and future miniaturization below that. And if you are not on Fin the future does not look good for your remaining native hair on top.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Fortunately, you've got a cool looking head. Tread carefully with the HT's.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

A hell of a difference, But please dont do it in one session, you are going to regret it. Its like gambling. Just do it in 2 sessions. Break them in to 4000 and 2000 or 3000 and 3000. Thats my personal advice. Good luck.

Edited by HARIRI

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

SJones,

Are you currently utilizing any preventive medications like Propecia (finasteride) or Rogaine (minoxidil)?

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

sjones

I think joe meant you are gonna be a Norwood 6..thats how the scale works, not where you are, but where you are going. Anyway, with that degree of hair loss, there is NO WAY I would have a transplant without preventative meds! Too risky

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

SJones,

It's definitely not a requirement to be on medications, but in a situation where you're heading toward a high Norwood Classification and may be able to stable the loss and prevent further balding before a hair transplant mega session, it can be very helpful.

Obviously, if the finasteride caused side effects, stopping was probably a good decision, but it may be worthwhile to investigate minoxidil (Rogaine) and considering augmenting the regimen with something like a ketoconazole shampoo.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I see you ending up at NW6 at worst. Only about 7 percent of men with hair loss end up at NW7.

I certainly wouldn't let a sore nipple keep me from helping my hair loss :) I've been on Finasteride for 2 years and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Like a lot of meds, your body gets used to it and side effects disappear. Please give it a shot. It could save a lot of hair come transplant time!

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

SJONES23, Im almost same with you. Fin is a man killer, I quitted it after using 8 months although it restored 50% of my hair seriously. But killed my libido as I was a beast when it comes to sexual affairs haha. However I agree with future-ht-doc, you have to use REGAINE and NIZORAL. They are close to me wherever i travel or live. A part of my daily life plus no side effects at all. Im using something third along with them which is SAW PALMETTO 500 mg a day. Its the natural alternative to propecia but not that effective as FIN but Im taking it anyways, better than nothing.

You have to be sure that in order to make your future hair transplant successful, you HAVE to continue using REGAINE (ROGAINE in US) and NIZORAL shampoo twice to three times a week. Good luck.

Edited by HARIRI

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]