transplant post op first few months

hi everyone, I'm on the verge of going for it and getting a transplant (approx 4000 grafts strip). I've got a question about the first few months post op. I've attached my pics below, you can see one where the hair is pulled apart revealing the true hairline (or complete lack of it!) and the other two pics where the hair is all brushed forward and across and sprayed down with hairspray (no concealer, never used it) show what people see when I go out.

I'm also on the verge of a major life change. Option A is to have the transplant done this jan/feb whilst i'm on vacation and then not return to my job as a foreign teacher overseas in March (there's many reasons for wanting to leave the job), i'd then essentially hibernate for 4-5 months not working whilst the hair grows in.

Option B is to return in March to my current job for the new year's contract after having got the transplant done in mid jan- feb. What do you think my hair will look like in march? Will it all have to be shaved off for the transplant or would only the middle bit of the head that is to receive the grafts have to be shaved? If the long bits of hair at the sides that I currently comb over into the middle are not shaved, I could used them to cover over the procedure I guess, but then wouldn't it look rather strange to have the very long sides and bits of stubble growing in the middle?? Alternatively, if the sides are shaved down, then I'd have to go out in public bald. I've never done that.

I'm currently a teacher in a foreign country; I don't know if I could go back to work in March 5 weeks or so after having had a transplant with a nice big bald head. And wearing a hat for 6 months every day would raise lots of eyebrows and questions.

I like the idea of not returning to my job in march, of taking 5 or 6 months off work to stay in a friend's house, read etc, and just wait in hibernation for the hair to grow. But then I think of the money i'll lose not working for those months!! I don't think i will mind telling people that i've had a transplant, although i'd really not want the whole school of kids and teachers knowing, but i'm more concerned about working and dealing with anybody whilst not looking very good. I'm very vain.

Any comments or suggestions or personal experiences people can share would be great, thanx

5b32d0732a97b_brushedforward.jpg.0b4776763fb0de183d85e09dc6edcdf1.jpg

5b32d0735826a_hair!048.jpg.e9d364c8e11f62c43fff1865b81bcd4a.jpg

front.jpg.36bbcf6e6cbdbfa2c0f70c090b501b0e.jpg

Some doctors shave while others don't, but the hair that is transplanted grows in very gradually so most people won't really notice a major change all at once. People really have a hard time putting their finger on what you've done because it grows in so slowly especially if you can keep your hair in the style in the first photo. For the first few months after surgery you will look just as you do today, but perhaps a bit thinner due to the incisions made by the doctor but that is temporary. 3-4 months later the healthy hair that was shocked or cut will regrow along with the transplanted hairs and you will notice a minor improvement, but 6-7 months you'll really see a major difference in your appearance. I don't think it's necessary to hibernate for such a long period of time, you would be more than fine to go back to work in March, but do whatever you feel most comfortable doing; you need to feel ok about the process.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I you had the proceedure in Jan there would be no reason that you could not go back in march.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Mate I had my op October 6, 1800 fut. went back to work 24th oct.

No on had noticed anything as I kept my same hairstyle. Even though my hair line was much stronger.

Now my hair looks just as it did pre op..

2-3 months is plenty of time!!

yep definetly go back to work. Like the other guys say the hair grows in very gradually and if u are seeing people on a day to day basis they always have a hard time actually realising its growing in, eventually they just think u look better or younger but cant put their finger on it. in my first HT a strip of 750 grafts strip to the right and left temples. People just thought i looked younger.