2's in the hairline

Is it true that when they transplant the hairline some of the grafts are singles but grow into 2's when they come in.I have several 2's in my hairline, and I was told by my doctor that it is normal for that to happen. Anyone else have this happen? Any truth to this?

Mike

No way, one hair (single) can't turn into two. That doctor is wrong, the hair grafts are not like plants were fertilization occurs and then multiple plants grow.

I'd definitely speak to someone else. I agree with hairthere, you should consult with another doctor.

The single hair graft I was thinking about was this, refined:

follicular_graft_02.jpg

DSC09191%20copy.jpg

single's,two's,three's

Source: google images

Something unusual like this, it's harder to tell:

dr-perrault-12.JPG

hair_transplant_grafts.gif<----more like plugs

Source: google images

But i'd imagine the doctor/techs would be able to tell if it is a one hair follicle or two for the most part with the equipment they use.

Edited by Sean

• Moderators

I think hairthere and Sean are incorrect. There is always a percentage of hair that's in the phase where the hair has fallen out but a new hair hasn't yet begun to grow in that follicle. In that case what looks like a single hair graft can actually turn out to be a 2 hair graft. I'm imagining this scenario is more likely to occur with Drs who use fat grafts (meaning they don't trim all of the excess tissue around a graft). I'm thinking when the tech trims the tissue they may damage the portion of the graft that would have grown the additional hair, so it may not happen very often in those cases.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Behappy is right. Sometimes there are follicles transplanted that are in the dormant stage.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

2 haired grafts in the hairline is a surgical mistake in my opinion - an elementary one really.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

• Moderators
2 haired grafts in the hairline is a surgical mistake in my opinion - an elementary one really.

Why? You know that 2 and 3 hair grafts occur naturally throughout your head of hair, so why is it a major concern if you get a couple of 2 hair grafts in the hairline after a transplant? You had them there years before when you had more hair in that area and you never noticed or cared, so why do you now?

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

I think there must be a difference between surgically planted 2-3 hair grafts than natural 2-3 hair units - and I also think that most people's original hairlines consist of more 1 hair follicular units then anything else. I had 2-3 haired grafts planted in the hairline for my first procedure and they looked awful and had to get them punched out by Dr. Paul. They make for a harsh, pluggy looking hairline.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

behappy, go get yourself a hairline transplant of 2-hair grafts and let us know how it turns out--I'd love to see it. Or, let's spare your poor scalp the repair job and how about you find us some examples of fantastic-looking 2-hair graft hairlines? Tell you what, I had a 2-hair graft hairline transplant the first surgery and I can assure you it does not look good or natural. They look like black dots.

RCwest, I think you hit the nail on the head when you said "sometimes" there might be HT hairs in the dormant phase. No top HT doc will knowingly use 2s for the hairline.

hairsatr, the reason they look thick and out-of-place is that they should not have been used. Do not go back to this doctor to have them removed, or for further surgery. He will probably tempt you with a free fixer-up. Say no.

Edited by hairthere

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com