FUE donor area too thin

Hello everyone, I had a 5000 fue transplant two and a half weeks ago, and I have noticed that the donor area looks extreemely thin and noticeble. While is getting much better as time goes by, I do not think when it heals it will ever look the same. My donor area is pink, bright due to inflamation, and shini. I have been told by some that is ok, but some people tell me is not. Now, I have never used my hair long on the sides and I do not plan to start now. Can anyone tell me the best concieler (the black pait that covers up thin hair)..I would like one that stays on the scalp for long, kind of like a dye that is hard to rub off. Thanks.

And question two: after transplant my recepient area grew considerably, more than 1/8 of an inch, but now it has shed. If your tranplanted hair grows a lot before it sheds, does it mean that the new follicles survived and will regrow after shedding? Thanks in advance.

Hello everyone, I had a 5000 fue transplant two and a half weeks ago, and I have noticed that the donor area looks extreemely thin and noticeble. While is getting much better as time goes by, I do not think when it heals it will ever look the same. My donor area is pink, bright due to inflamation, and shini. I have been told by some that is ok, but some people tell me is not. Now, I have never used my hair long on the sides and I do not plan to start now. Can anyone tell me the best concieler (the black pait that covers up thin hair)..I would like one that stays on the scalp for long, kind of like a dye that is hard to rub off. Thanks.

And question two: after transplant my recepient area grew considerably, more than 1/8 of an inch, but now it has shed. If your tranplanted hair grows a lot before it sheds, does it mean that the new follicles survived and will regrow after shedding? Thanks in advance.

Do you have any photos up of your donor area?

The donor area should get better. You had a larger session then I did. Wait till you reach one month at least though, two and a half weeks is still fresh.

Take a look at my hair loss website for pics and look at my donor area. I do have some donor photos in between my thread, but you can still see my donor area slightly pink in some areas. I will be posting updates in the next 10 days or so.

I like FUE. I think FUE is the better choice for almost every hair transplant patient. I believe that the someday soon we will see large FUE sessions with very good yield. However, I do not believe there should ever be a 5,000 FUE session. There is simply no way a doctor can tell how the donor area will look with so many grafts removed in one sitting. I hope your donor area looks fine when all is said and done, but I wouldn't be surprised if it looks moth eaten.

TC17. I still think FUE is better then FUT and this is why (Also was the decision maker between the two for me). I was worried that if I have a FUT transplant and my hair does not take, I was going to be left with a scar, and unable too shave my head like many people do when experiencing hair loss. With FUE, if the follicles do not take I was going to be left with many tiny white dots all over the place, but still better than a scar from ear to ear in my opinion. You also made a point that there should not be done because Physicians do not know how the patient will heal, but that really goes true for both procedures. My problem is not that I wont be able to look ok on the back, it is that I want to use very short hair in the back and even do its early to tell, i think it will b noticable without concealer.

Gabriel,

That is definitely a large fue procedure. How many sessions was it? The donor area should get a little better each week. It's normal for it to look thin at this stage especially after a large session. It doesnt look bad to me for this stage.

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

Hang in there. It doesn't look bad for a 5000 graft procedure. I think it is temporary. Give it time. It will heal week by week. The scars would shrink and temporary shockloss in the donor area would be reduced weekly. I was worrying about my donor area too, but looks like it is still healing. It takes time to heal. I am about 50 days out of my surgery. I still think my donor area will continue to heal.

Just like strip scars take time to heal, so do FUE extractions. With a procedure that size it's unsurprising that redness would remain after only 2 and a half weeks. Once the skin has healed it'll be a lot less noticeable that you've had any work done.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Levrais, my procedure was done in two days of 8hrs session each. I know that my doctor had an special device he created to make the extraction faster. It was like a dentist drill, and he was very fast when removing. The rest was done by his nurses, where there were 3 nurses workiing on removal and implantation of the follicles. So I considered fast for the amount of work.

Sean, can you tell me how many grafts did u get? and how was it done?

and MattJ thanks for the advice...am taking your word for it, and definately wait and see later.

Levrais, my procedure was done in two days of 8hrs session each. I know that my doctor had an special device he created to make the extraction faster. It was like a dentist drill, and he was very fast when removing. The rest was done by his nurses, where there were 3 nurses workiing on removal and implantation of the follicles. So I considered fast for the amount of work.

Sean, can you tell me how many grafts did u get? and how was it done?

and MattJ thanks for the advice...am taking your word for it, and definately wait and see later.

Gabrieljose43, it was 3,016 grafts and it was done using FUE.

oh shoot, i already saw your progress site yesterday and I forgot . Very nice results by the way. I feel like Big FUE procedures are so uncommon that I feel like an experimental Guiney pig... You are proof that Big FUE procedures can be succesfull with the right doctor. If everything goes well with me, maybe the dispute about the fissability of FUE megasessions can be put to rest. I will post results in a couple of months.

oh shoot, i already saw your progress site yesterday and I forgot . Very nice results by the way. I feel like Big FUE procedures are so uncommon that I feel like an experimental Guiney pig... You are proof that Big FUE procedures can be succesfull with the right doctor. If everything goes well with me, maybe the dispute about the fissability of FUE megasessions can be put to rest. I will post results in a couple of months.

Yea, big fue procedures can work if you are the right candidate. Try not to worry about the donor area, like others have said, it will get better week by week, it's too soon, esp for a 5,000 graft FUE procedure.

I'll post my next update in a few days, look forward to seeing your updates when you do post them. I agree and I think FUE is getting better and better as time goes on. Larger sessions are being done with lots of success. Best of all, no linear scar.

Wish you the best and happy growing.

• 2 months later...

I just had 2 fue transplants 10 days apart I went back to have some mistakes fixed. It was 1500 and then another 500. all the scabs just fell off but my donor area does look thined out in some spots. I think the key is for the doctor to space them out as much as possible and where they stop removing them towards the front of your ear they shouldn't leave a definite line they should feather it out. so there won't be a contrasts. I'm curious to see before and after pictures of a session like this like several months later with hair shaved pretty short. Does anybody know if there is shock loss in the donor area and if it will thicken back up over time? and I think during FUE removal sometimes they didn't get the root and will those hairs grow back? and does anybody know how to load pictures using an iPhone?

The thinness will not go away because the hairs have been removed, but it does not look bad. No one will really notice it. I've had 7,900 FUE done and have that same kind of thinness particularly in small patches where the techs over harvested. When my hair is grown out you can't see any thinness but that sort of defeats one of the advantages of FUE.

I'm fortunate to have high donor density, but for the average guy 5000 FUE is probably the limit.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...