Thinking of getting hair transplant...lots of varied answers..

Gettinold

So I have a 3" x 3" spot on my crown I was thinking of getting filled in (Also receding hairline I'd like to get reconstructed at some point), but there seems to be alot of differentials between doctors and how many "grafts" will be necessary. Upon looking at charts, etc. on the internet, I figured I'd probably need around 700 grafts to fix my crown. I had sent pics into a place (Link removed by moderator), and the doctor himself emailed me back, saying that I would need about 16-1800 grafts for the back...youch, I guess I was thinking, "hey I can spare $2-$2.5k to get this done now and worry about my hairline later"...Am I off base here? Any suggestions on where to get this done?

Edited by TakingThePlunge

Gettinold,

The number of grafts someone needs will vary from person to person depending on hair characteristics and goals for density. But, 700 grafts for the crown would probably not be enough for the area you are describing and you're probably looking more money than you originally planned for. I would suggest clicking on the consult tab above and doing online consults with some of the docs on this forum to get an estimate. Also go to the patient website section and you will see hundreds of cases involving crown work. This should give you an idea of how much coverage you might expect.

Edited by Levrais
typo

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

im a junior member but this is a great site to get info. in my opinion i would get on meds, propecia, etc for the crown to stabilize the area. also your age will play a part on what you do. you only have so much donor hair and your hair loss could progress over the years. i think on the crown being 3" x 3" i would convert to cm. i think there is about 2.5cm per inch so multiply 2.5 x 3 to get 7.5cm and then multiply 7.5 x 7.5 to get cm2.giving 56.25cm2 now come the density, you start at about 90 hair per cm2, you can go to about 50 hairs per cm2 before you start to notice thinning.now the number of grafts you would need in the crown will be less than the number of hairs, i.e. 2 hair grafts, 3 hair grafts,also if you go fue your expense goes up and your yield will probably be lower than fut procedure. but please check will others on this site that have probably forgot more that i know. but you made your first right decision by checking with this site. good luck

Dr. Charles is an excellent doctor and recommended on this site. I didn't know he was affiliated with that Oklahoma clinic. His main clinic is in Florida. I wouldn't trust the Oklahoma clinic unless I was for sure getting Dr. Charles.

The Scottsdale Institute and Dr. Friedman are also very good doctors. I've never heard of the Atlantis clinic though.

Most people prefer to get their hairlines fixed first as that is what people notice the most. They leave the crown for last. They also try Finasteride or Dutasteride because it is most effective in the crown and a lot of people get enough regrowth in that area to not need a transplant.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

hi getinold

Bud your estimate of 700 grafts is way out , the other guys who have commented are talking sence , get on meds to stop any further loss and start to research for a year before even contemplating a ht , if you get this wrong you will regret ever going down the ht route .

3inch x 3inch is approximatly 7.5cms x 7.5cms , just as horses12 pointed out above , thats 56cm2 , you'll need atleast 40 grafts per cm2 to look covered ,

56cm2 x 40grafts per cm2 = 2240 grafts

so budget for atleast 2240 grafts to cover your 3 inch x 3inch bald patch .

I had 2100 grafts in 2007 with Dr Feller to cover an area similar in size to yours , so I have first hand experience of what you need , check out my two old post links below to see how meds helped , then I had a crown area like yours covered with the grafts .

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/155471-dr-feller-uk-patient-richie48-then-now-two-year-trip-meds-9-month-hair-transplant.html

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/136000-dr-feller-uk-patient-richie48-2100-crown-grafts-15-month-update-pics-very-slowly-getting-better-better.html

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/138494-brand-new-dr-feller-uk-patient-richie48-2100-crown-grafts-19-month-update-pics-baldy-moody-emo-grungy-surfer.html

Good luck

Richie

Edited by richie48

2100 crown grafts

Dr Feller

nov 2007

Gettinold,

Dr. Shelly Friedman is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network and I highly recommend consulting with him. Click here for a complete list of our recommended physicians worldwide.

To learn about our criteria for recommending physicians, click here.

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I've always found that the estimation charts give figures that are too low. This goes as much for their temple/hairline estimations as much as those for the crown. They never take into account hair strand caliber either.

Due to the way hairs grow at the crown, a lot of grafts are needed for good coverage. More than most people would expect if they're used to looking at frontal restorations and the number of grafts used in them.

Is there much hair remaining in your bald spot?

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

I didn't know he was affiliated with that Oklahoma clinic. His main clinic is in Florida. I wouldn't trust the Oklahoma clinic unless I was for sure getting Dr. Charles.
Are you talking about the OK clinic that offers the $3.00 grafts? Affordable Hair restoration? I called them and found out that a doctor in Los Angeles that is recommended on this site travels there for surgeries as well. Guess what? It is $3 per graft in OK and $4 per graft in LA with the same doctor. Please understand, Im not suggesting there is any "funny" business going on because of this. It is just another indicator that we should research and consider that some doctors may offer us discounts. As a matter of privacy, I do not want to name the LA doctor, but with some research you may be able to find out if you wanted.

We all have the right to make a profit with our profession, and we all have the right to find the best deal as a consumer.

• 2 months later...

Anyone have any experience with Dr. Haber? He's reasonably close to me here in Ohio, although I sent ome pictures afew weeks ago and never recieved a response. I've also been in contact with the Nuhart clinic in Chicago, but alittle leary of them because of a few things I've read. They will do it all for $6500 though, which is less than alot of places I've talked to. That's definitely more within my budget...

We know Dr. Haber well. I'd try calling or resending photos via email again. Have not heard very good things about Nuhart. Discount now may mean costly repair in the the future so be careful.

Please listen to the advice above. Honestly, if u dont have the funds for a reputable clinic than dont even bother having this procedure. Save up the cash for a top doc and then u know it will be worth it. U dont want to gamble with this procedure,,,,! Nuhart,,,, i would run if i were you,,,,!!

If you dont mind me asking, what did some of yours run you? It seems that I have gotten estimates anywhere from below $5k to $8k...these guys seemed middle of the road, but it also seems that the estimate of grafts vary greatly from one place to the next...anywhere from 1500 to over 3000. Sooooo much varied info out there that its mind-numbing. I'd like to get this done within the next few months, but not going into it blindly either..

Gettinold,

Stay with Dr. Haber and forget Nuhart. Seriously dude it's your head if u want a future of costly repairs.. There isnt going to be much of a difference in graft count if u consult with clinics like Haber, SMG, Konier or True and D. U pick any of these u will be safe and they have yr best intrests in mind.