Booked with Dr Rahal for December!

Ok its done! No turning back now! I'm already nervous haha. 2500 FUE. I have 4 weeks off work - that should be ok to reduce the amount of red-ness/scabs/detect ability right? I've literally be having dreams about having hair again - finally its on its way to coming true! I'll keep everyone updated on my progress.

Cheers all.

You made the right decision. Dr. Rahal is great in FUE as he is in FUT. With FUE you will recover in 2 weeks even. Good luck buddy.

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

Congrats JHBB. 4 weeks is plenty time off for FUE. You'll recover fine just in time.

Keep us posted with pics, or else!! ;)

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Are you having hairline work done? You will still have redness after 4 weeks.

Yes all to the front. I think I need a strategy to minimize the redness then.... are there any recommended ways to cover it up?

Yes all to the front. I think I need a strategy to minimize the redness then.... are there any recommended ways to cover it up?

JHBB I just posted my one month post op pics. I had frontal work done via FUE by Dr. Rahal. There is redness on me, but everyone heals differently. Some people may be lucky and they may have it to a lesser extent then someone else. Someone on my thread also mentioned they were on Prednisone for two months, that may have helped them with the redness I do not know for sure only a doctor could tell you that. Prednisone reduces inflammation and swelling. It is usually given after a transplant for a few days to reduce swelling. I can't think of anything else except to possibly use toppik if the doctor says it is ok to do so after a month to cover up the redness areas. You really do not want to clog your graft area though, so you really have to ask the doctor that.

It's possible to use concealing products including, yes, makeup. I don't recall seeing anyone ever bother to use it though.

How long will you be leaving the hair on the top of your head, behind the area being worked on? If you aren't choosing to buzz all over (the donor area will need to be shaved) then you could leave the hair on top long enough to cover the recipient area, at least partially. You have a nice amount of time off (more than most patients take) and you should have, at most, just some left over pinkness.

Congrats, by the way.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

It's possible to use concealing products including, yes, makeup. I don't recall seeing anyone ever bother to use it though.

How long will you be leaving the hair on the top of your head, behind the area being worked on? If you aren't choosing to buzz all over (the donor area will need to be shaved) then you could leave the hair on top long enough to cover the recipient area, at least partially. You have a nice amount of time off (more than most patients take) and you should have, at most, just some left over pinkness.

Congrats, by the way.

Thanks. my hair is always at buzz cut 2-3 max so a quarter of an inch. when do you think I can continue to buzz cut my hair? Ideally I want to return to work with the all the same length - previous hair and any new hair that hasn't shed.

thanks

I would hold off from buzzing for as long as possible, and then only by carefully trimming the hair without venturing into the grafted area. I don't know if you do this yourself at home or if you'd need to go to a barbers, but literally leave it until the day before work if possible.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

JHBB,

Forget about redness. It'll be gone in 10 days most likely. A month is far more than necessary. Here, have a look at my 10 day updates from both of my procedures. I have very fair skin, much fairer than yours, and it is almost undetectable.

Hair Restoration Journal -10 Day Update

Hair Restoration Journal -HT#2: 10 Day Update

I really can't imagine you needing more than two weeks. You may want to reconsider taking so much time off. Otherwise, you'll probably just sit around obsessing for month! LOL! :D

In any event, good luck on your procedure. You've chosen an excellent doctor, no doubt.

Corvettester

Edited by corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

I do it at home. This sounds like its going to go right down to the wire! I hope the redness doesn't remain.. thats the only worry it seems, as the scabs should be gone in 20 days correct? If there's anything I can be doing to reduce the risk of redness please let me know.

JHBB,

Forget about redness. It'll be gone in 10 days most likely. A month is far more than necessary. Here, have a look at my 10 day updates from both of my procedures. I have very fair skin, much fairer than yours, and it is almost undetectable.

Hair Restoration Journal -10 Day Update

Hair Restoration Journal -HT#2: 10 Day Update

I really can't imagine you needing more than two weeks. You may want to reconsider taking so much time off. Otherwise, you'll probably just sit around obsessing for month! LOL! :D

In any event, good luck on your procedure, you've chosen an excellent doctor, no doubt.

Corvettester

thanks Dude. You were a big help and inspiration in me taking the plunge. Thanks for your advice and support. Great guys here!

I do it at home. This sounds like its going to go right down to the wire! I hope the redness doesn't remain.. thats the only worry it seems, as the scabs should be gone in 20 days correct? If there's anything I can be doing to reduce the risk of redness please let me know.

The scabs will be completely gone after a week... 10 days at most.

Now Chillax, bro!

Corvettester

Redness totally depends on the patients physiology. My first procedure's redness lasted several months. This last time around it went away much quicker - probably because I was on Prednisone for two months post-op.

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

Redness totally depends on the patients physiology. My first procedure's redness lasted several months. This last time around it went away much quicker - probably because I was on Prednisone for two months post-op.

Aaron,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember you mentioning something about having an unusually sensitive scalp. Didn't Rogain or Nizoral do a number on you too?

I have yet to see a patient with one of these post-op recipient site "redness for several months" cases. I'm not saying that they don't exist, I just haven't seen any yet... I think the vast majority of patients heal sufficiently well within a week or two.

I remember it being the biggest non-issue for me after my procedure. After all the hype, I was really surprised at how easily the scabs came off while washing my hair after only a week, leaving the recipient site looking just a little pink only 7 days post-op.

Corvettester

jhbb, Scabs will not be an issue for you so long as you follow the doc's post-op care and cleanse the area when he recommends it. It varies from clinic to clinic, but I would suggest when he says to return to normal washing, you do so.

Aaron is correct that every patient will have a different experience post-op. My redness/pinkness was noticeable up to 4 months post-op. By that time it was pinkish (not bright red) but you could definitely see an outline of the new hairline. I have seen other patients who have had the same. A lot of patients deal with this by growing their hair out a bit longer so they can comb it forward to hide the work.

You can also try using vitamin E or emu oil to help reduce redness, but again, follow your doc's instructions and only apply when he gives you the Ok.

Edited by hairthere

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Aaron,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember you mentioning something about having an unusually sensitive scalp. Didn't Rogain or Nizoral do a number on you too?

I have yet to see a patient with one of these post-op recipient site "redness for several months" cases. I'm not saying that they don't exist, I just haven't seen any yet... I think the vast majority of patients heal sufficiently well within a week or two.

I remember it being the biggest non-issue for me after my procedure. After all the hype, I was really surprised at how easily the scabs came off while washing my hair after only a week, leaving the recipient site looking just a little pink only 7 days post-op.

Corvettester

Corv, yes my skin is very sensitive. Rogaine really irritated my scalp and even caused my ears to get chapped. So it's not a surprise that it took a little longer for me to heal after my transplants. When I say redness can last several months it's really important to note that the redness does gradually decrease during this time. For instance, two month post op redness is more of a pink hue than the full blown redness you see a couple days post op. It's more like a shadow or outline of where the grafts where planted. Sometimes this type of redness is not so apparent in pictures. Dr. Paul implented a strategic tapering of Prednisone for over a two month period for me and I must say it really helped me with the healing process. I recovered much quicker this time around.