Saw Palmetto Question

I was considering starting Saw Palmetto because of all the good things that I have heard about it from members here. I thought it would be smart to combine with the Biotin which I've been taking and have already seen noticeable results with.

However, after an hour of online research I couldn't find anything substantiating the claims that SP acts like Propecia in that it inhibits DHT and helps to prevent hair loss. Everything I found said that there was no clinical evidence of such claims and that they were largely based on theory and conjecture. Not to mention that there are several reports of actual side-effects such as ED, Constipation, Nausea, Halitosis, etc...

So my questions is, does anyone have any studies, literature, personal experience or evidence of any kind that they can show me? Any good experiences or results?

Otherwise, I think I'm just going to pass on this one. I don't see the point in taking another pill that has virtually no proven benefits.

For example, I started Biotin about three weeks ago and already I have seen an enormous amount of growth on my face and body hair. So I think it stands to reason that it is helping my head hair as well, though I can't be certain yet.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

Saw Palmetto was the first supplement I took for hair loss years ago. I actually was on Procerin (main ingredient SP) a year before I ever tried Finasteride. Why? I wish ! knew. :D

So I was on it for about a year but didn't notice any difference in my hair. Granted, I was shaving my head to about a 1 or 2 guard at the time but I still couldn't see anything change when I grew out the stubble. On the good side I didn't notice any sides either. I really wish I would have started Fin during that time. I would have a much stronger crown and bridge today for sure. Ah, the folly of my youth!

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Anyone else know anything about Saw Palmetto? Personal experiences?

I still haven't been able to find anything worthwhile to suggest that it actually prevents hair loss or increases growth in any way...

Corvettester

First of all, I can't provide the answer you're looking for, so sorry about that.

I've heard reports (such as those you've obviously come across) regarding the potential for SP to cause similar side effects to Finasteride, such as ED. This, together with the reports of it causing shedding just like the proven pharmaceutical treatments, does suggest that there might be something to it.

Do you wish to supplement Finasteride or are you looking for an alternative to it?

I'd be interested in hearing how things go with Biotin. Can you describe in more detail the face and body hair growth? Are you growing hair in areas which were previously devoid of hair? (I ask purely out of professional curiosity :D )

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Do you wish to supplement Finasteride or are you looking for an alternative to it?

I'd be interested in hearing how things go with Biotin. Can you describe in more detail the face and body hair growth? Are you growing hair in areas which were previously devoid of hair?

Matt,

I was looking for an alternative to Fin, but it appears that there isn't a viable one. I'm still debating upon whether or not to start Fin.

I'll be making my decision to start Propecia this coming December after which I will have 8 months worth of crown and midsection photos to compare against each other. I'll be sure to present my case to the community for everyone's opinion.

As far as Biotin goes, since starting it, I've seen a lot of growth in my face and body hair, but not anywhere that didn't have hair before. The hair has simply regrown at a much faster pace and it appears to be more healthy or stronger, if that makes sense. I know this because I shave all of my body hair. In fact, the other day, a lady friend of mine commented on how hairy my legs were!

Also, I feel like my head hair is looking really good these days. It seems much fuller and healthier as well. However, I have not experienced any new growth in areas devoid of hair. So I'm sticking with the Biotin as well as the Hair, Skin & Fingernail Multivitamin.

Corvettester

One thing I can say about SP, the root sheaths taste pretty good. You can pull them out of the ground when they are young, clean them up and eat 'em raw. I did this as a kid when I lived in Florida:) They look like the tops of palm trees growing straight out of the ground. Aside from that it's pretty useless in my opinion.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Corv,

You won't find any real studies on sp because it's natural and therefore cannot be patented. So no one is going to pay for a serious study. I tried it for a while and prety sure I had sides. A friend of mine uses it and swears he has grown some hair with it. I wish i could use it.

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

I was looking for an alternative to Fin, but it appears that there isn't a viable one. I'm still debating upon whether or not to start Fin.

Dude, do it. You got sooo much good hair left to keep!

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I would keep taking SP due to the fact that it's good for your prostate.

FYI, Prostate Cancer is the second leading cancer in men. It will help

Urination too. Hey, I've taken it for the last 5 years since I was Dx with

this problem and my MD can't believe I'm doing so well and no operation

no radiation no nothing!!

So even if it doesn't help your hair, it's good for you

Dude, do it. You got sooo much good hair left to keep!

+1! You are one of the lucky few who can keep what they have and transplant the lost parts to near original levels. Use Spex's titration method if you are hesitant but it's definitely worth it.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Corv,

You appear to have great hair in the mid scalp and crown so technically you don't need Propecia. However, you DO NOT want to wake up one day and see a little thinning in the mid scalp and/or crown and look back and feel like you missed your opportunity to stop it with Propecia while you still had good quality hair like you do now. Because once that happens you are behind and have to pray Fin works at that point. If I were you I would heavily consider it because like I said before you don't want to start Fin when you are already losing some hair vs. taking it now and never worrying about it again. As a side note, I was on SP for many years thinking it would work so I wouldn't have to take FIN. I can't really say whether it helped or not because although I thinned somewhat I can't say if I wasn't on SP it would have been worse. That is the problem with hair...it is not like say a pimple where you put medicine on it and can easily see if it works or not in a few weeks. With hair it is very difficult to see if anything is truly working. Hope this helps!

Ive looked into this myself corv, there are some studies online, you just have to find em!

I decided to try it , and after further investigation I also started supplementing it with beta sitosterol.

Beta sitosterol contains a much higher ammount of the compound related to dht blocking than you'll find in saw palmetto, although there are a few other compounds in saw palmetto too.

I take both and my hair has been pretty good with hardly any shedding over the 3 months ive been taking them.

My old chap seems fine, maybe im not as horny all the time as normal ( which I dont mind tbh, sometimes that can be a problem on its own!) but im definitely not suffering ed.

I stopped taking the supplements last week as im on some prescription meds atm, and wasn't sure if they would interfere so thought best to be safe.

I definitely have been shedding a lot more since,especially the first couple of days after stopping.

I will be back on this stuff soon as I can, only time will tell but I feel confident that its been doing something over these first few months.

Im also trying the famous scalp exercises , have you looked into that?? supposed to improve blood flow which improves hair. The way I see it, being a nw2 -3 I will try all i can to retain what I have without going on propecia or rogaine.