Finesteride is it worth it??

lukeyb1687

Ok so yesterday I decided that I will go ahead and take generic finesteride from Sam's club. It was $9 for 30x 5 mg doses. Seeing as right now I can't afford a transplant :(... I was looking into FUE (I'm aspiring to be an actor so it gives more options for roles with shorter hair compared to FUT and having a scar shown)

Now I am scared about taking a full on 5 mg and even taking 1/4 pill for 1.25mg. I am a healthy 24 year old and really wondering if I should take it, I don't want to be impotent for the rest of my life because of sexual side effects. I know this topic has been discussed over a million times but I'm just curious how many people have experienced side effects?

I read somewhere that there is no difference in terms of results if I was to take .5mg a day or every other day compred to 1mg a day. Is this true? What regime has worked for people to minimize side effects?

Has anyone actually fully recovered if they suffered from side effects?

Any help would be greatly appreciated from users and also from the Doc's themselves on their recommendations.

12/2017 - 3500 Grafts- Dr. Emrah Cinik

Follow my progress:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lukeyb1687,

I've discussed my own experience in various threads but, I began taking 1.25mg daily around the time of my first hair transplant. I had minor testicle pain, water semen and less frequent erections.

I decided to play around with my dosage by alternating days and also attempted to cut my pills into smaller pieces. Ultimately, I settled on 1.25mg MWF. I found that my semen became less watery and I noticed no increased shedding.

I'm quite happy with my results and not at all bothered by the minor sides since all my parts work as expected on demand. I can live with infrequent morning erections.

Edited by TakingThePlunge

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

David,

Thank you for your reply. I decided that I will start with .5mg MWF and then steadily progress to 1.25mg that way it's not such a shock to my body's hormonal system. But I appreciate your input on atopic that's been discussed a millions times :)

I was wondering as well whether anyone who's taking Fin has had any negative effects at the gym? Has it prevented anyone from gaining muscle?

Follow my progress:

So I've been taking generic Fin for the last week. So far no side effects (once I had a slight discomfort in my testicles but passed after a few sexconds)

I started with a dose of .5mg every other day and the last 2 days decided to up my dose to 1.25mg a day....will see how this effects me ( i may even just drop down to every other day)

I feel that my labido is about the same if not a little more on some days, could just be mind over matter though lol.

I will post some pics tonight with my current hair loss and then keep posting every week/ bi-weekly to see the progress. I'm also using 5% Minxoidil (members Mark) twice daily.

Here goes!!!

Follow my progress:

I literally went to my locla GP and told them that I need to get a prescription for Finesteride and that I knew all about the risks etc...

I then had the prescription filled at Sam's Club and got the 30days- 5mg version that I can split into 1.25mg a day with a pill cutter.

What did your doc say?

Edited by lukeyb1687
Doctor- = GP

Follow my progress:

Hmm iw ould get a second opinion as I believe as a paitent you haev the right to go for brand or generic....someimtes you can get a prescripion for the brand and ask at the pharmacy for generic.

Which country are you from btw?

Follow my progress:

So I've been taking generic Fin for the last week. So far no side effects (once I had a slight discomfort in my testicles but passed after a few sexconds)

I started with a dose of .5mg every other day and the last 2 days decided to up my dose to 1.25mg a day....

How in the world did you cut those pills in 10 pieces to get .5 mg ?

I have been on fin a long time and ever since they switched from the round generic to the football shaped it's a pain so I usualy just cut them in 1/3.

Most people don't get sides, i am 43 and have been on Fin 16 years with no sides.

I'm surprised your Dr prescribed you Proscar at your age

Can I ask how you got the generic? I have been meaning to for a while but my first doc turned me down first time. I only tried once. Did you go to a general practioner or did you go to a dermatologist?

A lot of Dr's won't prescribe Proscar if you are young, i'm guessing they could ahve a tough time explaining why a young guy is on a drug for an enlarged prostate

I will tell you it wasn't easy and took a lot of fiddling with the pill cutter to cut the pill into 10th's but was worth it in my opinion just for the first few days to ween my body on to it. The pills I got were perfect circles so that made it easier then the football shape lol!

I was up front with the doc and told him that it was for my hair loss. He asked if I knew about all the side effects and I told him yes I knew all about the possible child birth defects, erectile disfunction etc... he seemed cautious but understood that I knew the risks.

I'm just glad he did prescribe it to me to be honest. I still need to up load the pictures of my temples and crown. I noticed that Minoxidil really started filling in my temples but with fine wipsy hairs (i'm hoping that the fin will cause them to thicken up :) )Looking forward to seeing the results in a 6 months +

Follow my progress:

I will tell you it wasn't easy and took a lot of fiddling with the pill cutter to cut the pill into 10th's but was worth it in my opinion just for the first few days to ween my body on to it. The pills I got were perfect circles so that made it easier then the football shape lol!

When did you fill the prescription ? I filled my last one about 3 months ago so i wonder if they changed back to round pills, who makes your fin ?

Not sure if this is meant to be happening so early or if I am just imagining it but I am have the dreadded shedding stage...My hair is thinner and there is a lot in the sink and tub when I rub my hand through it. It's scary and I'm not sure if I'm meant to be experiencing this so early?

But on a plus side I know (well I hope) that the shedding is a plus sign as it means that the fin is working and the hairs should grow back stronger and thicker.

Fingers crossed it works!! Will keep you all posted!

Follow my progress:

• 2 weeks later...

So I had my haircut over the weekend....I am kinda bummed but excited lol. I have a lot of shed loss from the Fin now... (will upload pics tonight) and my hair especially the crown looks really thin...however I am excited as I know that it's working and that in a few months time I will start to see some significant regrowth (hopefully)

Follow my progress:

Lukey

I think you made the right decision getting on finasteride. I think you will see a huge benefit from it. Just stick it out through the shedding stage! And then well, the rest of your life. Ha

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Well some fantastic news today (although minor) I have had a small dark THICK hair sprout on my right temple. There are a lot of smaller thin white hairs but this one THICK (almost like a beard stubble) hair has sprouted and today is the first time I've notcied!! I am so excited as I feel Fin and Minox is really taking its effect on me in a positive way! I've still had zero side effects and have even upped my dose to 2.5mg a day to increase the potential of regrowth and not just retention!! Again I promise to get pics up...I had my camera on charge last night and now can't find the battery lol!

@ Newhairplease-

Thank you very much I can't wait to see what the result is down the line and hopefully avoid the cost of a transplant

Follow my progress:

lukey,

Congratulations on your new follicle friend! Hope he invited a few hundred more to the party. I hope you are documenting your growth in photos. I'd love to view the transformation over the coming months.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Taking the plunge-

I will certainly be taking monthly pics and uploading them, I found my charger and battery for my camera this morning so when I get home I will upload some pics. I just want to make sure that people who are considering a HT try all options prior to spending $$$$$. If my story can even help one person restore their hair then I will be extremely happy!

Only time will tell if it fully works for the effect I want. But here goes and lots of pics to come in the next few months!!

Follow my progress:

• 4 weeks later...

So apparently I suck at taking time to update my results, I apologise. I PROMISE I will get some pictures put up tonight with my temples showing.

As a quick update. I have had a lot of new baby hairs grow out (the wispy white ones) and a lot have started to ebcome thicker and alot darker! Each day I see a newer set...I even try to part my hair each day to see a comparison and it's crazy how much difference there is from now to before Fin. As of yet still no side effects and I am taking 5mg a day.

I say no side effects but I might have an upset stomach occassionally if I don't take it with food...also like takingtheplunge I do seem to have a minor breakouts appear...however I'm not sure if it's from the Fin or stress. I'm currently working 7 days a week which includes shooting a film...it could also be beacuse of the makeup I have to wear for the film too... will be finished filming in 4 weeks or so, so will find out if that helps clear everything up.

But I do have regrowth and slowly my crown is looking thicker (well not the crown but the section behind my widows peak). Even my normal hair seems to be getting thicker!! I've noticed a lot less shedding in the shower the last few days....I hated when I would see 40-70 hairs in my hand lol! Now it's down to 10-15 so I take everything is working!

As I said I promise to have pictures up by tonight!

Follow my progress: