NEED ADVICE...see my pics!

Hey Everyone,

I am getting very close to getting a HT. I am pretty much set on FUE bc I don't want the scar and my donor hair above my ears doesn't seem to grow in nearly as good as my back donor hair. I always have my hair short (i.e. 2 to 3 clip) so FUT scar will prob cover under a 3 I just don't want to have it show if i cut it to a 2.5 or 2 which historically I have had.

I am seeking everyone's advice in that I have been to many doctors all highly recommended on this forum and have spoken to a lot of you via email and also on the phone. I was told that I am a Norwood 3 and could potentially be a Norwood 5 ish, however I am on Propecia to try to hold my crown area and so far so good. So I was told by every doc except one that I would need approx. 1,500 to 1,800 FU's. The other dr. told me 2,500. Please note though that the other docs said that I would probably need to come back for density. The other doctor said I can do it in one pass (i.e. 2,500). FUE was spoken with all dr's and I was told I can do it with FUE granted I know the pro's and con's at this point. Also note that I use concealers so that helps out a lot!

Please see my pics and let me know your comments on what I have said above in terms of FUE vs. FUT and I have my hairline drawn in...let me know if you agree with that as well...I think it is fairly conservative and I didn't realize but my temple/corners have really eroded and it is my concern to have them brought back in this first procedure which will also give illusion of a better hair line bc framing the face is huge in designing a great hairline (at least cosmetically). Also, would 1,500 to 1,800 provide enough density? Please advise...thanks!!!

BACK.jpg.41a7a16cd7d37e017c56186833ccda9e.jpg

5b32cf0b0fb57_FRONTDOWN.jpg.b9c3f582f729bcd415a31f315cd5a100.jpg

FRONT.jpg.4ace89e1494b60bae09bcea55658b94f.jpg

5b32cf0b4549e_RIGHTSIDE.jpg.d58eb48671ca2ec9668e8e764ce73d7f.jpg

5b32cf0b5a946_SmallIMG_3623.jpg.c92cdb89073e65e29e2d8f3e5ccc3766.jpg

Edited by Capelli11

Crown still looks great,,,if you can hang on to all that hair youre sittin pretty...

I personally think your drawn in hairline looks great, others might disagree...i seem to be a tad more agressive in my thinking...

The caveat is how much more hair will you lose in the future?? If we all knew that it would be alot easier to judge..and as long as you prepare for the fact you MIGHT lose alot more it wont be such a shock if it does happen...

Id say go for it.....get the 2500 grafts and go from there...hopefully the drgs can halt any further loss...

I note that you've drawn a position for temple point reconstruction. Did you make it known to all of the doctors that you wanted this area covered too? This will influence the graft numbers required.

For the sort of result you're looking for, 2500 will probably need to be the total number of grafts regardless of whether you opt to have it all done at once or split it down into two procedures.

I don't believe you'll face any problems in obtaining the higher density in one procedure. Having two is less of an issue if you are choosing FUE, but when surgeons are consistently producing high density results in one pass then it doesn't seem like there's any reason to plan for two.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

First of all you have consulted with 3 top notch doctors and everyone of them is capable of giving you a very nice result. The bottom line prior to having a procedure is to make sure that your expectations can be met and that you know the pro's and con's with both types of procedures. The amount of grafts needed to meet your expectations is all based on where you want your hairline to be. The more aggresive hairline is going to take more grafts than a conservative one. People get caught up to much on number of grafts than on results. You can have 4 different patients with the same exact hair loss pattern and each one of them will take a different amount of grafts to get them to the same point. The reason for that isthey all have different hair characteristics. For example the diameters of their hairs, color of hair, and way the hair grows(straight,curly,wavy) all very. Dense packing is important in giving a patient a good results, some patients might requires 40 hairs per cm2 and another might require 60 hairs per cm2. The bottom line is until a doctor actually sees the quality of your donor area and finds out what your expectations are it is hard to give you an exact number of grafts that will be needed for your situation.

I am employed as the patient coordinator and office manager for Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Dr. Panine is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be interperted as medical advice

I appreciate all of your comments thus far! That hairline/temple drawing was from one of the doctors. I think my temple area really receded pretty badly over the years...so i had asked to have then restored to allowing framing of my face b/c they are just as important as any hairline design...the hairline needs to meet the corners/temple area to finish the frame. Do you think it is too aggressive of a temple? What do you think about the hairline? I think that is good and not too aggressive...perhaps the temple is aggressive? But like I said above it really can create the illusion of a good hairline as it frames the face better. Thanks!

I think it is a little aggressive but good luck. I think about 2500 is a good estimate.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Thanks for your comments...they are appreciated! I realize the temple closure could be deemed aggressive but i really lost a lot of my temples/corners and it really frames the face too...the hairline isn't that aggressive from what I have seen and heard though.

Any more comments?! I could really use the feedback! Thanks!!!

Capelli,

I don't think the proposed hairline looks aggressive at all. It's simply closing your temples, reconstructing your temple points and reestablishing your hairline. In fact, it looks almost exactly like my personal restoration case, perhaps less.

As far as the amount of grafts needed, I would say anywhere from 1,800-2,500. Since you seem to have good hair characteristics, I would suggest starting conservative because maybe you'll only need 1,800 to give yourself the coverage you want and need.

Also, I'd suggest going conservative for the simple reason that I like playing it safe. In your case, there is no need to risk shock loss or excessive trauma to the scalp. Also, save your donor supply for now... remember, you're still young!

By the way, I'm not sure if it's the lighting or the photos, but it looks like you may be thinning in the midsection, towards your back, left side. Is that accurate? If so, I'd definitely get on Fin and Mox as soon as possible. What did the docs say about this?

Lastly, I think you're a good candidate for FUE or FUT. Given the concerns we've discussed at length privately, I'd say go for FUE if you can afford it. You wear your hair so short, you don't want to complicate things with a scar... at least not yet. Your loss is not that bad and I think an HT will really frame your face up well. Your only real dilemma is whether to go FUT or FUE...

Corvettester

Edited by corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

The drawn hair line is aggressive but I think you can afford to be given that your hair loss is not very advanced. But understand the lower the hairline and temple corners are the more grafts you will need and the less dense it will appear. 2,500 seems just right. Glad you are propecia. You have a lot of hair left to keep.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Capelli,

I would go with FUE also for the reasons mentioned BUT make sure that the Docs you are considering have confidence in it. Sounds silly doesn't it but there are Docs out there that perform the procedure, believing it to be very much inferior to FUT. Sure, there are pros and cons, but it's essential that your Doc believes in it.

After my recent Op I was seriously considering FUT because I had simply lost confidence in FUE. However having conducted more research and narrowed it down to a few excellent Docs that not only specialize in it, but have every confidence in its effectiveness, I am strongly considering FUE again for my next procedure. (In fairness, since my HT with Feller, I have yet to have a consultation so I will take on board any advice given).

So Capelli, who is on your short list then?

All the best

Jessie

Thanks again everyone for your great and honest feedback!

Corv: Thanks again as always for providing me with your insight on and off the forums! I am sure I speak for all of us when I say welcome back as you add a lot of value to this forum! Also your HT looks great...can't wait to see the final results!!! To answer your question, judging from those pics which the lighting is pretty bad as it really reveals everything, it does appear that that area is getting a little thin...but in my every day life I haven't really noticed it at least it hasn't come to my attention as a real problem area. On one of my consults the Dr. actually said I could become a NW 5 or 6 judging from my pattern. It scared me so I got on Propecia finally after realizing it was prob my only way to hold onto that hair otherwise lose it forever...so we will see if that works I'm optimistic it will at least hold it.

Jessie1: I always was under the impression I had no choice but to do FUT so I didn't really research FUE...once I realized I could potentially get FUE I have recently been doing a ton of research and realized that a good amount of all the top surgeons don't truly "specialize" in FUE. A good amount of them do it but in low doses...not having a huge portfolio of before and afters. I can understand why as it isn't as popular for the many reasons we all know (i.e. cost and potential less yield, etc etc). I have visited with all the top docs and the short term list now would be Dr. Dorin and probably Dr. Rahal although I asked Dr. Rahal what % of his practice was FUE and he said around 10-15% which is low. Pretty much all the docs that are hugely recommended have low percentages like this...again that doesn't mean they don't do it well, but I am realizing FUT is obviously the desired procedure for good reason outside of the scar issue. Dr. Dorin seems to do it well also, but there aren't too many before and after shots on their website and/or on this forum...so it is difficult to decide based on limited info from the actual doctors themselves. Both Dorin and Rahal are great doctors based on their results but it is all about how they extract with FUE that makes all the difference...in regards to planting the grafts and hairline density/design they are hands down great but again FUE is a lot more skill involved and it almost comes down to taking a plunge and going with one as I am in good hands just based on their experiences in HT as a whole. I also have a phone consult coming up with Shapiro who I noticed is pretty good too with FUE. Bisanga actually said I should go with FUT as my hair loss pattern may get worse and he would want to utilize my donor hair as effectively as possible...so that upset me a little to see that a great FUE dr like Bisanga wouldn't really recommend FUE for me...Dr. Lindsey kind of said the same thing that he would reluctantly do the FUE on me if I requested. So that has thrown me for a loop with my decision.