Want to get HT but do several small sessions...suggestions.

Hi All,,

I am interested in having several smaller HT sessions so that I can recover quicker, hopefully be able to hide it better than a larger session. I really just want to thicken up what i have and maybe bring down the middle hairline a small amount. I am 36 and probably will have some more thinning. Whats my norwood anyways? I was told a 2.5,

I got one consultation and they said 2500 grafts.

0616091612.thumb.jpg.a8aa518d1947d57d25a039fb4a3e365b.jpg

From your pic, I would leave well enough alone. You seem to have a great head of hair from the pic you presented.

Research FUE if I can't convince you that you do not need anything done. And if you go the FUE route there are very few high quality FUE surgeons, so do your research here well.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

I would wait a little longer man. Unless that profile pic you posted is deceptive in regards to the hairline (because I can't really tell how bad your hairline is receding) then I think you should definitely wait longer and just start on Propecia if you aren't already. However, your hair looks very thick so if you did decide to get an HT I don't think you would need very many grafts at all as density and hair diameter can sometimes lower the number of grafts needed. From that one pic you showed 2500 grafts seems like WAY too many.

- 1 HT ~ 3000 grafts

- Regimen:

Propecia 1X daily

Meh. I could def see you wanting to get work done...some hairline refinement while re-constructing your really receded temple regions. I'd say you are a solid NW2 - NW2.5ish...but NW levels are kinda worthless.

Who recco'd 2500? Seems a bit aggressive, though if you want to establish a *new*, lowered + emboldened hairline...would make more sense.

I do agree that FUE is a very attractive option for you; price is generally more prohibitive, though SMG, who have recently adopted FUE have a very aggressive pricing model. I would consult w/ SMG and Feller, specifically inquiring about FUE in your consults!

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

notjustyet,

It's hard to tell by the photos, but it looks like you've got a thicker mane than just about everyone here. I also can't see any signs of male pattern baldness. What may be occuring is the development of a "mature" hairline which is normal and natural as we age - even those who don't suffer from MPB

Of course, the pictures could be deceiving. That said, at 36 years old and minimal hair loss, if you want to lower your hairline a little, you may very well be a good candidate. But 2500 grafts sounds excessive judging by the photos.

Best wishes,

Bill

2500?

where would you put them ??

I would be sure to get a couple opinions from coalition doctors before doing anything.

your hair looks fine to me

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Leave that sucker alone, you must be a norwood 3 or diffuse thinner to consider HT in my opinion.

2500? That's for a norwood 3A not a norwood 2, turst me that you must live with your current hairline and if it progresses to a 3 then you can start getting HT consults but hold off.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Speegs, guesstimated NW levels don't actually predicate how many grafts are best for a given patient. In and of themselves, NW scales are very incomplete, but in the context of evaluating a person for a HT, and assigning a # of grafts, they are beyond lacking. Also, the "NW Rule of Thumb" is for a basement level of density you go NWx1000. But, that doesn't take into account hair caliber, charachteristics, pattern, age/history, and, above all else, patient expectations (i.e. what kind of actual density is being sought and what will *actually* achieve it...or not).

I'm w/ Emp that playing a game of "catch up" w/ FUE seems pretty attractive, and I could def see him wanting to slightly refine and lower his hairline while beefing up his temples....the price is more prohibitive (though SMG is priced very aggressively)...but....

-----------

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

I'll add my 2 cents. Notjustyet do like the other poster suggested and get a hobby. your tag is appropriate. there is no need whatsoever to risk a bad scar or bad HT result at this point.

as to concealment don't worry about that. no one on earth will suspect that you got an HT cause no one will even think you needed one in the first place. However, a bad result from even a small procedure could ruin you since you appear concerned by your looks now.

I am glad to see that most here feel HTs are not whimsical decisions that should be risked simply to "correct" a mature hairline.

lol....just some perspective: someone who is a NWx can want a HT as badly as NWy, regardless of what "x" and "y" even mean. We are fundamentally dealing with emotions and subjectivity.

Is it ridiculous to be a NW2 and want a HT? I dunno. I could prolly find a dozen people out of a dozen pretty easily who would say *you* are ridiculous for wanting to undergo a HT regardless of your NW level.

In fact, many would find it *more* absurd and ridiculous to be an advanced NW and attempt to undero surgery -- after surgery? -- without ever getting a "perfect" look....

Also, whimsy has nothing to do with the OP; and it's quite clear the direction he is taking is hardly "whimsical".

-----------

thanatopsis_awry I understand that HTs are cosmetic decisions in the end. However we know that the success rate of HTs is not exactly what say LASIK and other more regulated procedures accomplish these days.

While results are quite good most of the time with the best physicians, there are a substantial number of bad HTs being performed on a daily basis around the world. And from time to time we see terrible results from even the most elite practitioners.

now here you have a poster who is concerned about a mature hairline and who likes to wear his hair pretty short along the sides. no evidence of MPB. He is wondering if an HT would be appropriate.

Not knowing where he may end up going for his HT, and knowing that even the best clinics from time to time end up screwing things up, and realizing that he could end up with terrible scarring, an odd looking hairline, permanent shock loss, or wirey pubish looking hair, would you in good conscience suggest he risk it all in order to potentially address his mild concern?

this is like asking someone to take a card when he has 18 and the dealer showing 5.

I guess what me and others are dealing with is a perceived benefit vs cost vs risk equation. I agree that each individual must evaluate if the benefit to them merits the other two negatives.

Knowing that others view the perceived potential benefit as "small" may help the OP calibrate his equation.

By the way I just re-read the original post again and noticed that he mentioned he got one consultation with a recommended 2500 grafts. WOULD LOVE TO KNOW WHAT CLINIC SUGGESTED THAT. A friggin strip on a virgin full head of hair. Just shows how desperate these docs are in this economy.