Am I one of the unlucky few? 4 years post strip with Dr Feller

Hey London, yeah I think you understand what I'm saying. And you have every right to not be happy with what your looking at every day in the mirror.

What's your age? Bottom line is that a higher hairline in the temporal areas aren't going to get a second look from anyone and is going to look good as long as it looks natural. It's hard to tell without seeing your entire face (I missed see the non censored photos of you) but it looks pretty low to me considering where you started from the previous procedure. That, or like you said - put in more grafts.

When drawing out my hairline, I wanted a low hairline too and Dr Arocha flat out told me he couldn't make it look good and I didn't want that..... And my procedure was 3500+ fu's with a starting point somewhat similar to yours. You can go check out a couple of pics on profile of when I went back to work on day 5 after the procedure if you're interested

Sounds like you and Feller had somewhat of a conversation along these lines also but maybe the doc wasn't firm enough with you, who knows it happened a long time ago.

If money is no object I'd find one of the top docs over there and get it thickened up in the front. Although you'll see a lot people state that location shouldn't be a factor when getting an HT, I find this reason ridiculous for multiple reasons - your situation being a pretty good example of that. I'd try and find someone within 2-3 hours by car or plane ride so you can do follow ups. If you can't take a lot of time off of work, find a recommended doc that doesn't insist on shaving the recipient area, it's going to reduce your downtime significantly

If money is a consideration then hopefully you can work out a good deal with Feller to finish it off.

Keep researching. I researched for a couple of years off and on before my procedure and still continue to learn things crusing the message boards. (Edited by moderators). From what I gather you're still uninformed somewhat and these procedures aren't cheap and they throw your life out of whack for a few weeks.

In the meantime, buy some Toppik along with one of their spray applicators. They have a medium brown color that would probably work well for you. Put it slightly behind where the hairline starts though - keep it away from the front. It will darken up your scalp some and take away alot of the contrast you have going on making your hair look a lot thicker. Play around with the amount, but less will usually look better.

Good luck man and take care

Dr Arocha

3626 FU's

H1: 508

H2: 1741

H3: 1377

My Hairloss Website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2127

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just read that sometimes grafts can't be densely packed enough in one session because they can pop out of the incision holes if placed too closely together, depending on scalp physiology, so with all these kinds of variables and my thin texture of hair, the result is understandable.

Ahairdown, I'm 35. Money is the issue for me, which is why I've been negotiating with Dr Feller. Thanks for the hair thickening spray advice to give the illusion of more density, but that in combination to the gel I use would be a truly horrible combination! I once knew a guy who used spray on hair on his bald spot - not a good look on completely bald areas...

Thanks for the good luck wishes. The Topikk I use isn't actually a spray. It's hard to descibe the consistency of the product. You can go to toppik dot com if you're interested in checking it out. They have instructional information on the site as well. Agree though that with gel it most likely wouldn't work well. I've never that combination though since gel will generally make thinning hair look even thinner in my experience.

Good luck with getting your situation resolved - keep us updated!

Dr Arocha

3626 FU's

My Hairloss Website:

LondonHT,

I think it would be worth your while to get an opinion from a separate doctor. I am also surprised at the lack of density. I think you can use Topikk (or another hair building fiber) to thicken the appearance some, but if you're interested in getting additional work done in the future, I'd see someone else -- if for no other reason than to get their opinion on your results. You may even want to see multiple doctors and get multiple opinions.

Hopefully you'll get a decent resolution on your hairline, which I would also be dissapointed with.

This is a great community and always good to see how Dr's handle patient follow up, such as this.

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/journal.asp?CopyID=10024&WebID=2832

October 2011 - 1647 FUT - Dr Dorin

January 2014 - 1580 FUT - Dr Dorin

Ahairdown: The pattern of my hair thinness at the front makes it possible to gel it into shape with the hair behind and minimise the appearance of it being thin, luckily. But it would be great to have it thick again.

I'm trying to arrange an appointment with Dr Farjo but I can't even get a call back from them at the moment, obviously they are very busy which doesn't bode well if I wanted to get a transplant with them anytime soon. I guess all the top clinics are booked up a few months in advance.

Usually I do like to make higher hairlines for various reasons and did plan to do so with London HT but he turned out to be one of the very few exceptions for reasons already discussed. The obvious solution is just to fill b/w the grafts.

We fill in and finish off results all the time on new patients who've had surgery performed elsewhere since most clinics tend not to dense pack. Here is a patient who even had old style plug work in the past in whom we did the same "fill in" procedure as we are going to do on LondonHT. Rather than just needing to thicken up, he needed to make his doll's head appearence disappear. We did this in just one sitting with 2,000 grafts. LondonHT will not need that many as he doesn't have plugs to cover nor does he need to hide his hairline.

When a fill-in procedure is performed the hair tends to look not twice as think when the number of hairs is doubled, but TRIPLE as thick because filling the spaces between the hairs amplifies the effect.

See the Before/After pictures below: And remember, click the yellow banner above to enlarge.

1.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by Dr. Alan Feller

LondonHT,

I had marginal yield in my first surgery with doctor Wong and made the mistake of going back for a second procedure, which did not provide much additional benefit.

The problem with yield is mostly with technicians damaging your hair when they implant them. The doctor could have done everything perfectly, but if his team is not 100%, there will be occasional bad results. That said, I know its difficult to resist free or discounted grafts, but if you have had problems with yield, you should try to get a refund and choose another doctor.

The "yield kings" the docs who I have seen consistently impressive yield for a particular # of grafts, are Dr. Rahal, and Dr. Shapiro.

The Emporer,

LondonHTs yield is exactly what was expected. We traded off density for area which is something I rarely do unless the patient commits to returning for a second pass which LondonHT did. Simple as that.

If you read the thread you will understand what's going on.

I'm trying to arrange an appointment with Dr Farjo but I can't even get a call back from them at the moment, obviously they are very busy which doesn't bode well if I wanted to get a transplant with them anytime soon. I guess all the top clinics are booked up a few months in advance.

Hey London,

I saw that you were looking into Farjo in the UK just a few days ago, but have suddenly changed your mind. Based on your last post, it appears that you've decided to return to Dr. Feller.

Why the change of heart?

I'd like to echo The Emperor's comments in stating that, although the allure of a highly discounted procedure may be tempting, one should never let price or location determine one's decision. This is your head and your hair that you're dealing with and you only have a limited supply of donor available. In some cases, it's better just to cut your losses and walk away... demanding a refund won't hurt either.

Although I emphatically disagree with Dr. Feller's characterization of your result as "a perfect success," I do wish you well in whatever decision you come to.

However, there still hasn't been any answer to the following questions that I raised in this thread some weeks ago...

1. Why was London advised to return for his second procedure only 6 months after his first one?

He said he completely understood this but would "rather have a thin lower hairline than a thick higher one", and that he would come back in 6 months to fill it in to achieve the density I recommended.

He also wanted to do his temples as well, but I advised him there wouldn't be enough grafts for such an ambitious plan on the second procedure. So we agreed to do the aggressive surgery now and then for him return in 6 months for a fill in and temple work.

...The plan was for LondonHT to return in 6 months time to perform a fill in procedure. This was a condition of my agreeing to perform the procedure. Unfortunately LondonHT never returned to have the job finished.

...I knew with 100% certainty how this procedure would look when grown, that's why a second pass was agreed to 6 months later.

2. How many square centimeters were covered in your first two procedures? Why did Dr. Feller claim to have no idea how much area was covered in the first two HTs?

I don't have a clue as to the surface area covered in terms of measurement, but it is larger and lower area than my average patient...

3. Lastly, how many more grafts does Dr. Feller anticipate that you will need? I mean, he already transplanted 3,250 grafts into your hairline and temples alone... how many more before you're complete? You do understand the limits on your donor supply correct?

All in all, I wish you the best. You've been a perfect gentleman as well as a valuable new member to the HTN. You truly do deserve a world class HT... let's hope this third pass will give you just that!

Corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

Hey corv, great points - as well ask questions that I remember you asking previously which were never answered.

However I do disagree with you on one point. Location. To me this is fairly important, and could possibly be part of the issue in some of these cases that we are seeing. These guys are flying from overseas to have these procedures completed thus making follow-ups, not to mention in person meetings for potential issues pretty tough to get done.

Now I'm not saying to only select doctors in your specific city - but I think being able to round trip a follow-up in one day by plane or car is important.

Dr Arocha

3626 FU's

My Hairloss Website:

Hey London,

I saw that you were looking into Farjo in the UK just a few days ago, but have suddenly changed your mind. Based on your last post, it appears that you've decided to return to Dr. Feller.

I'm planning to go back to Dr Feller once I get the money together because it's the best deal, even with travel costs added on, and I'm sure Dr Feller can sort it out for me.

I'll let the forum know how it goes when I get the operation.

Thanks for the update LondonHT. Unfortunately, your response to corv will be unanswered as he was banned for getting into it with Dr Feller on another thread with yet another unhappy UK patient.

Keep us updated and good luck on your subsequent session.

Dr Arocha

3626 FU's

My Hairloss Website:

Congrats on getting successful surgery with Dr Rahal, but plenty of excellent results from Dr Feller have been posted here. I see no reason to think Dr Feller and his team are not on a par with Dr Rahal and his team. I remain satisfied that Dr Feller is one of the best and I'm confident that Dr Feller can sort me out with the next surgery. It's probably best this thread dies now because it's kind of losing its perspective and I'm wondering whether I should have started it at all; but it has provided much useful advice and I'm grateful for that.

Edited by LondonHTseeker

• 2 months later...

Hi there, I'm posting as I've received a notification email from the forum about this topic. I don't come here anymore because I've sorted things out with Dr Feller and I'm going to schedule surgery with him when I'm able to; but I've had to put it on the backburner for the moment. Nobody ever comments on my hairline though so it's not as obvious as the direct sunlight photographs here make it seem. Hope everyone is well. I'll let the forum know when I get the operation with Dr Feller, and I'll post pictures. I'm sure the next op will sort it out. Cheers.

• 1 month later...

YOu know when shopping for an ht, and talking with surgeons, and assistants, or coordinators, when talking about density there comes that term reasonable expectations, I have some areas that are completely bald that will need adressed up front as well, I hope this is not what i should reasonably expect~ If i was dr feller id give it a once over fer sure~

YOu know when shopping for an ht, and talking with surgeons, and assistants, or coordinators, when talking about density there comes that term reasonable expectations, I have some areas that are completely bald that will need adressed up front as well, I hope this is not what i should reasonably expect~ If i was dr feller id give it a once over fer sure~

Huh???

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website