New member looking for suggestions

Riot

I've been dealing with hair loss for at least 6 years. I'm 33. I've been taking propecia for 3 years and it seemed like it slowed down the hair loss tremendously, but after 3 years i still have lost a lot of hair. I'm looking for suggestions as to how to choose the right doctor and suggestions on actual doctors. I'm in brooklyn, ny, USA so in my area would he helpful.

The back of my head:

Photo1-2.jpg

And the front with the hair brushed to the opposite side I normally comb it:

Photo2-1.jpg

Some great doctors in NY...the one that comes to mind the quickest is Dr Feller...however check the recomended doctors on this site! As everyone on here will tell you, " dont let travel be your deciding factor in selecting a transplant surgeon"

Also, try adding rogaine to your daily routine.

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Some great doctors in NY...the one that comes to mind the quickest is Dr Feller...however check the recomended doctors on this site! As everyone on here will tell you, " dont let travel be your deciding factor in selecting a transplant surgeon"

Also, try adding rogaine to your daily routine.

I've tried rogaine liquid and foam and they make my hair look and feel awfully greasy. : / As well I use a styling product that gives my hair a tiny bit of extra thickness and keeps it in place without being hard and the foam/liquid ruins this.

I recommend researching and consulting with several clinics that you find recommended here. After you consult with some of the top clinics, then the decision really comes down to who you are the most comfortable with. As long as you go with one of the top clinics you will be in good hands. There are definitely some great doctors in the northeast, but I would not let geography factor into your decision. I ended up traveling from Orlando to Minneapolis, and the travel was a non issue with getting the procedure done.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

Dude, you look to be a NW6. Definitely look into the top clinics - ya know Feller, Shapiro, H&W, Rahal... etc. Don't stay local just cuz it's easy too...

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I'm in Brooklyn too. I'm 30 years old, but I was a NW3. I had my HT with Dr. Dorin almost nine months ago.

I suggest that you consult with True & Dorin, Bernstein and Wesley... all located in NYC within a two mile radius from each other on the East side. All four docs are known to be on the conservative side which, given your amount of loss, I think is your only option. From what I've seen, T&D have an uncanny ability to give a whole lot of coverage with very few grafts.

Let me know if I can be of any help.

Corvettester

Edited by corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

I've tried rogaine liquid and foam and they make my hair look and feel awfully greasy. : / As well I use a styling product that gives my hair a tiny bit of extra thickness and keeps it in place without being hard and the foam/liquid ruins this.

foam shouldn't cause a greasy look

that said, using Rogaine once a day is still better then not at all. I do remember Spex stating that using Rogaine once a day is part of a good maintenance regimen so while you will not maximise the potential of the drug you still stand to make some gains by using it once a day - aka when you get back home from your day and you are ready to relax, apply it then. That way you don't relaly need to care about how it makes you look. That's the only way i would ever use liquid. With foam it's not as much of an issue but if you don't like the way it makes you look then this is an option.

Your thinning is pretty advanced and it looks like you have thin hair, so if you're going to go the HT route you're going to need a whole lot of grafts. I'd definitely put Dr. Feller at the top of your list.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Hate to be negative but you've got a huge battle ahead of you you're defo at least a nw6 and your hair looks quite thin if I was you I'd have to think very hard about whether or not you can afford all the work needed and if you have the donor supply.

I think you're only option is with someone who deals with huge megasessions all the time and for the last ten years that has been Hasson and Wong but Dr Rahal is doing some insane work lately of up to 6000 grafts of pure quality so if I was gonna go for it it would be with one of them and no one else but that's just my opinion.

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

I hated rogaine for the same reason, my current doctor (HT #2) recomended using a blow dryer on cold setting right after massaging in the rogaine foam. I have been doing it for past 6 weeks and its not too bad -- give it a try.

Besides that, looking at your pictures, doubt it if rogaine or propecia itself will get you decent results especially given the diffuse pattern on top and front. HT is definitely in order, preferably a mass session (4000+), just my opinion. Several good doctors in NY (including ones mentioned here), dont think you need to travel if you dont want to.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FUT #1, ~ 1600 grafts hairline (Ron Shapiro 2004)

FUT #2 ~ 2000 grafts frontal third (Ziering 2011)

FUT #3 ~ 1900 grafts midscalp (Ron Shapiro early 2015)

FUE ~ 1500 grafts frontal third, side scalp, FUT scar repair --300 beard, 1200 scalp (Ron Shapiro, late 2016)

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185663-recent-fue-dr-ron-shapiro-prior-fut-patient.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 2 weeks later...

I have just completed my HT FUE with Doc Carlos Wesley . I will have pics up soon but over 1500 grafts were implanted. I was amazed at how professional the staff were and the level of comfort I felt from the moment I walked in the door for consult until the completion of my HT. Feel free to contact me with any questions. I also have CVG on scalp which made for interesting case