Second Thoughts

After thinking about this and doing my research, I finally scheduled surgery with SMG this summer. I am very confident that I have chosen one of the best in Ron Shapiro. Now that I have had it scheduled for a month or so, I am having second thoughts about whether I should have a HT. While I would love to restore my hairline and thicken the crown area, I am just not sure about the whole scar issues and getting myself in a situation where I could possibly have to have more than one transplant. I have been using Rogaine for years with much success at first, but results have diminished over time. Just started Fin in February. At 53 and with meds, my hair loss is probably pretty stabilized. So, I am in the pull and tug of should I go through with this or just live with it. I have attached a couple of photos. Thoughts? Advice? Would love to hear from people who have had the same thoughts and decided to proceed or not to proceed.

Thanks

IMG_0372.jpg.777dc1c42d7cf8c0ed3c1f20f12d6790.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg.dbf9f6ea275ee80b35e25301de370ea7.jpg

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

This is really a personal issue. Personally, I am very happy with my HT. In addition, you have not been on Finesteride long enough to see what it will do for you.

In the end, you have to go with you gut on this one.

That's right, this is something you'll do or won't do depending how much it bothers you.

It might always be on your mind. It's always on my mind. You can cancel the op but will you just disregard the whole thing & move on?

All the best

Edited by Dutch

I had second...and third thoughts. In the end, I couldn't be happier. All those worries about my hair are gone. A good surgeon is essential. All things in life have a risk. You've minimized yours. Will you want a second HT--maybe..but that's your choice.

orlhair1,

Having second thoughts I think is a very healthy thing. When you're contemplating someone carving up the back of your head like a pumpkin and then planting hairs where you have little, a moment of pause is certainly called for. I had total second thoughts when I did my first transplant. But I was a bit younger than you and had more severe hair loss so I was a bit more motivated. And that's really the heart of it. How motivated are you to change your situation? How much does your hair situation bother you/affect your life? How does the financial hit affect you? For me, I tried to just live with my baldness, but in the end, my hairloss really bugged me and affected my quality of life. So I decided to take a little control and did my homework, saved up, and then held my breath and took the plunge. Honestly the first HT was quite a surreal experience (in the sense that I couldn't believe I was actually doing it). In the end things worked out fabulously for me. I can't believe the difference. I certainly don't have the hair I had in my 20s but I'm not bald at all anymore and that has had a very positive effect on my outlook, my confidence, and how people (ok, let's be specific, women) interact with me. I did have to have another procedure but I had much more extensive loss than you did. You look like you could have a pretty damn good result in one pass. You might get hair greed, but you might be thrilled with one pass.

There are certainly no guarantees and this board certainly illustrates that not all folks have great results (but it also illustrates a lot do get unbelievable results). In the end, it just comes down to how much this hair thing bothers you. I wish you all the best in your decision.

I agree with everyone...ur hair is quite good considering your age! I think you should try a concealer to see if that helps give you some artificial confidence it so brings me! I would recommend using Toppik on the crown and hairline and I guarantee you will be happy...and probably happy enough to buy you many years like it has done for me. Hope that helps! Either way it seems your hair is good enough that if you go through with the HT it will work quite well because your hair loss doesn't seem that extreme. Good luck!!!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and ideas. I am going to go for it. I am pretty excited about the potential results, especially with my hairline. I am getting some work on the crown too and I think that combined with the potential of the results from the Fin should work well.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

You're the best possible candidate for a HT IMO.

I had second thoughts all the way up to the walk along the sidewalk before entering the building the day before surgery.

It came down to a coin flip for me. I picked heads and threw the coin to the pavement and voila, there was the queen's head; I threw it down again and again and it came up heads 4 more times before it came up tails the 6th time.

I knew I had to go thru with it from that point on and could finally relax ! :cool: