Alternative to Dr. Lee's Regrowth Shampoo? (leaves hair manageable)

I had been using Dr. Lee's Regrowth shampoo with 2% ketoconazole & 3% salicylic acid successfully to treat my seborrheic dermatitis. As you know the FDA has apparently shut his site down.

Regrowth shampoo was the only shampoo that both helped my SD and also left my hair manageable and tangle free.

Other dandruff shampoos like Nizoral always leave my hair dry and almost unmanageable.

Is there an alternative keto shampoo available that is hair friendly?

Or a conditioner that anyone uses which doesn't cause scalp irritation or exacerbate seborrheic dermatitis?

Thanks.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Looks like I found an alternative in terms of main active ingredients:

"Hair Regrowth Stimulating Shampoo" by Perfect Image Solutions.

They have it on Amazon.

Same ketoconazole and salicylic acid ingredients as Dr. Lee's shampoo, but not sure about it yet as I haven't tried it.

Anyone use any of Perfect Image Solutions' products?

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

Have you tried the new product yet? If yes, how were the results?

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Hi Gillenator,

I've ordered the product and will let you know after it arrives and I've tried it a few times.

However looking more closely at the ingredients it appears to have SLS and also parabens:rolleyes:

I should've looked closer before purchasing.

Ketoconazole 1% , Salicylic Acid 2%

Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Ammonium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate/Glycol Stearate, Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine, PEG-150 Distearate, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Polyquaternium- 10, Diazolidinyl Urea, Propylene Glycol, Peppermint Essential Oil, Polysorbate 20.

Also: I tried out Free & Clear conditioner for sensitive skin after the Nizoral and the conditioner seems to make my hair smoother with no itch or irritation so far (fingers crossed).

Edited by hsrp10

go dense or go home

Thanks Dr. Charles!

I'll have to give Regenepure DR a try, looks to have all natural ingredients too in addition to keto.

Do you or any of your patients use the Regenepure NT btw? (treatment / conditioner ?)

My biggest issue recently is not so much SD, but dry and tangled hair that is difficult to style. The HT is finally kicking in nicely so I'm trying to grow it long, but if the tangles continue I might be forced to buzz it down. :rolleyes:

go dense or go home

• 1 year later...

I never did find a good alternative, so I had to use 2% Nizoral (actually 2% Sebizole) to combat my Seborrheic dermatitis (crusty dandruff).

My HT was from one of the Top 3 docs and was really rocking for a while, I was a new confident person!!!

However the Nizoral (Sebizole) overuse eventually weakened my hair.

So I stopped using it. Then the thick nasty dandruff came back and weakened my HT further.

After a lot of crap and suffering in general --> hair thinning out for the third time in my life....

I have finally maybe found a dandruff shampoo that is seeming to work.

I know a lot of folks suffer from SD and related hairloss, so am just posting what has been working for me recenlty.

It is Kerium intensive anti-dandruff treatment shampoo (have on Amazon)

Your mileage may vary as everyone's scalp is different but it has improved my condition.

go dense or go home

Nice to see you updating

Did you try regenepure?

I'm glad things are hopefully finally getting back on track for you!

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Tried Regenepure, but didn't work out with my oily scalp.

Left some buildup in the hairline and also was a little drying if I remember correctly.

The only shampoos I have ever been able to use that didn't leave a scalp buildup caused by the oil on my scalp reacting with the shampoo ingredients, have been (1) Dr Lees, (2) Nizoral (don't ever overuse this stuff!!!) and now (3) this Kerium Intensive dandruff relief.

Really wish someone would get hold of the formula for Dr. Lees shampoo and re-brand / remanufacture it.

Seems to be more than just simply mixing 2% Nizoral with 3% Salicylic acid.

go dense or go home

Always had problems with hairline dandruff and plaques on my scalp my whole life, but was only finally truly diagnosed with SD at the time of my HT.

Luckily live where there is soft water so the plaques are not as hard as when I was younger.

Hard water and SD are a nasty combination.

go dense or go home

Had a member suggest Dr. Dorin's Scientific Essentials and havent changed since - worked better for me, I didnt like the scalp feeling after nizoral and saw too much redness. This had better materials and top notch results. Had rough winter the first yr of surgery and used a sulfate shampoo, this has no sulfate silcones, parabens and thickens hair nicely.

Is it a mild shampoo gentle to the scalp?

Or is it one for treating seborrheic dermatitis (dandruff)?

What are the active ingredients?

go dense or go home

Unlike my other ones, Its absolutely mild and sulfate free which didnt leave hair stripped and dried out. Wife and kids use it too. Doesnt have dandruff zinc type actives but conditioners leaves my scalp red free and moisturized that I dont flake and looks thick and feels stronger.

No silicone but I cant tell if that the reason why I dont feel oily but moisturized

Actives as I can tell are on their website and literally has a ton - main volumizing proteins, 18 MEA to reinforce hair, keratin proteins. Saw another member swear by it and wife's big salon place said the same for any type of dry or damaged hair especially, but for all types.

I also use a Zirh styling product but hated their shampoos and conditioners. The styling cream is good but have to watch I dont overuse and clump hair, sometimes just use conditioner and is manageable enough.

• 1 month later...

This shampoo really does work, been on it since Feb.

Kerium intensive anti-dandruff treatment shampoo

Anyone thinking of getting off Nizoral should give it a try for a few weeks.

My hair that I lost to SD has grown back thank god!

go dense or go home

• 6 months later...

Bump, had been trying to avoid using any harsh dandruff shampoos in the grafted area after HT#2 but got the inevitable dandruff issue again.

After two uses of the Kerium DS shampoo my scalp is mostly dandruff free.

It knocks the sh*t out of oily dandruff.

go dense or go home

Based on my shampoo experience...I found 2 shampoos which are perfect for thin hair and do not flat it out.

If you want normal shampoo then its Nanogen thickening treatment shampoo.

If you got dandruff then you can use it alternatively with Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo.

Good luck Bro :-)

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

Thanks Hairiri, I am hooked on this Kerium dandruff shampoo twice a week now and then use no shampoo on other days to give my scalp a rest.

I will look into the ones you mentioned, especially the Alpecin double effect one.

Hey does the Nanogen thickening shampoo leave any residue or build-up on your scalp btw?

Edit: seems the double effect shampoo has some of the same anti-dandruff and scalp plaque fighting active ingredients as Kerium DS. Namely: Salicylic Acid, Piroctone Olamine, Citric Acid etc.

Edited by hsrp10

go dense or go home