Soaking head in tub

ny116

Hey guys,

I recently had a hair transplant 8 days ago and my post op instructions were that from days 8 to 10 I should lean my head back and soak in the tub for 10 minutes. Do you think this is a good idea? I tried looking through this forum about this issue but some people are saying that soaking should be done after 10 days post op?

Thanks,

Niel

I think it's fine. You need to start getting the scabs to loosen up and fall out, and soaking in water will expedite that.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

ny116,

There are many different approaches to post-operative hair transplant care. It seems every clinic has its own philosophy. It is generally held that follicular unit grafts are securely anchored by 10 days post-op but you should be fine soaking your head at 8 days.

The best advice anyone can give you is to follow the advice of your clinic. You trusted them enough to perform your procedure, why would you question their post-op care advice?

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

ny116,

Soaking your head in the tub for 10 minutes 8 days after your hair transplant is perfectly acceptable, especially if your physician recommends it. In my personal experience, I find a second shower and a scalp massage with the fingertips more effective for scab removal. It also helps if the recipient area is shaved because it's easier to access the scabs. Please be aware that you shouldn't pick at your scabs with your fingernails. But massaging the scalp with your fingertips in gentle circular motions can do a great job at loosening the crusts.

Best wishes,

Bill

Until a few weeks ago I'd have agreed completely. Now I'd say check with your doctor and of course do it in moderation.

I posted a scar repair case guy recently who was diagnosed with folliculitis on his extremities and he'd had scar issues from a big chain and was looking like he was having a little scar problem in the repair I did. Turns out he was spending 2 hrs a day in a steam room and hot tub and got colonized by bacteria. He got treated and is fine thank goodness.

So, check with your doc and MODERATION!

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Until a few weeks ago I'd have agreed completely. Now Turns out he was spending 2 hrs a day in a steam room and hot tub and got colonized by bacteria. He got treated and is fine thank goodness.

Can this happen from steam rooms. I love them, i had no idea that something that bad can happen there. You scared me a bit now Dr. Lindsey (i dont have a transplant) but i didnt know there were so many vacteria in there!

After 8-10 days post-op, I prefer to just allow the high pressure of the shower head to beat down on the recipient area to start removing the crusting. There are always a few that are stubborn that will need to be dislodged by rubbing them loose.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

After 8-10 days post-op, I prefer to just allow the high pressure of the shower head to beat down on the recipient area to start removing the crusting. There are always a few that are stubborn that will need to be dislodged by rubbing them loose.

Yeah, I also found a warm water soak for 5 to 10 minutes under the shower head helped loosen up the scabs so they can be gently rubbed off with the fingertips (no nails). I would do this warm water thing under the shower head twice a day so I did not FORCE anything off. It worked.

Atticus

600 FUE - 12/07 - Performed by Dr. Umar of Redondo Beach, CA

*****300 leg hair FUE implanted 7/12 to the eyebrows - 150 each eyebrow. Performed by Dr. Umar.

• 2 months later...

At 4 months post op I still continue to shield my scalp with my hand to diffuse the water. Although the grafts are secure by now, I wouldn't risk high pressure @ day 8 post op.

guys, can we do a high pressure warm shower head to go over the scabs on the 8th day? would it be safe?

Om day 8 I would still keep the water pressure low, just put your head under the shower head and let the warm water fall on it/soak it for 2-5 minutes. Then, take some baby shampoo and gently rub your scabs with your FINGERTIPS only. If you do that twice a day they will work off pretty quickly.

I think on day 10 you could kick up the water pressure. I wouldn't risk on day 8 though.

Atticus

600 FUE - 12/07 - Performed by Dr. Umar of Redondo Beach, CA

*****300 leg hair FUE implanted 7/12 to the eyebrows - 150 each eyebrow. Performed by Dr. Umar.